“Gone massively downhill”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #39 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Having stayed at the Malmaison in Manchester a couple of times in the past, I have always found it to be an excellent choice. However, our recent stay was absolutely awful. Our problems started at check-in, whereby our rooms had been pre-paid by our travel agent, but the receptionist was not aware of this - and had I not arranged for the travel agent to call and email confirmations again we would have been double-charged!

I was booked into an "executive" room at a rate of £159 room only. The room was very small (about half the size of my colleague's standard room) with a basic shower above the bath while he had a huge walk-in shower. When I checked that I had been allocated the correct room type I was told that it was correct, and it was an "executive" room as it was in the part of the hotel that had most recently been decorated. And this justifies an additional £30 per night?

The room was comfortable enough, but nothing special. The nice touches (like fresh milk in the fridge) have gone; my refreshments tray was not re-stocked after I had drunk the coffee - meaning I was unable to make a cup of coffee in a room by the 2nd day in a room that was costing me £159!!

Our main criticism of the hotel, however, was the recently refurbished and absolutely dreadful SMOAK restaurant. It is absolute chaos, especially the bar. Amongst other issues, we had to wait 30 minutes for our drinks while the same 3 Snow Patrol songs blasted out on a loop - and then after finally receiving our drinks another waiter turned up 2 minutes later with the same order (one of which was wrong)!

A lunch order at 2pm (when the place was almost empty) for a sandwich took over 20 minutes. An evening meal of 3 main courses involved one dish being totally wrong and one steak which was ordered medium-rare being served well done.

There are simply too many people who do not have a clue what they are doing, and no managers running the various aspects of the hotel. There are a number of great hotels in Manchester but the Malmaison is sadly no longer one of them. 5 star prices for a 3 star hotel with 1 star service. Avoid.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Ryan3
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2011

Dear Ryan

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Mal Manchester on your recent visit to the city,
we appreciate you giving us your feedback as it is only through this that we can continually strive to improve the Mal experience.
I am sorry to read that you feel we have gone massively downhill, and I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter further with yourself so I can personally look into your concerns, please contact me directly on 0161 278 1000 or croutledge@malmaison.com where I can hopefully restore your faith back into Mal Manchester.

Yours Sincerely

Assistant Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,648)

Reviewed 21 November 2011

rooms very well provdied and comfortable. The hotel is very well located to access and to walk into Manchester shops and nighlife. Opposite Picadilly Station, with car parking nearby but it was quite pricey, ideal for visting shops, bars and restaurants in the city. I liked the rooms style - dark and red.
The breakfast were excellent, as well the Bar and the Brasserie, which was great.
great value for money.
The room was very chic, plush furnishings, clever accent lighting, stylish furniture and decor with a fabulous bathroom with thick white fluffy towels. Would definately recommend it, in Manchester city centre it's a nice and affordable place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Claeale

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the style here at Mal Manchester along with all the little Mal extras, hopefully we will see you again in the new year.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

room very good very nice,in other word what you see is what you get,big room bed very comfy bathroom big spacious,however,there was lip stain left on one of the cups one of the teaspoons had not been cleand and when we went to check out they handed me the bill for the room and when i looked at it,it sed my paymet t=i have to make was almost £300 but i had alredy payed for the room at the time of booking and didnt use anything from the room,so i shoulded have to pay for nothing,i told the women at reception this and she checked properly and saw one of the other workers had charged another guests room on to my room,its a good job i loved the room and had a fab night with my bf or i would have been very angry,othetr than that every thing els was perfect. worker very helpful and friendly and room met my expections and more,its just a shame the little thing let them down,but i would stay again.

Dear Shofna B

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Mal but I must apologise for the confusion over your billing, let me assure you that this is an isolated incident and has already been addressed with the team.

There’s nothing more to say but a big thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mal Manchester in the near future.

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Me and my partner stay here quite often and it is a beaufitul hotel the rooms are amazing we never want to leave!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

Dear Nav K

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us again at Mal Manchester, To read that you never want to leave is great to hear we hope all our guests feel the same.
When all the slinkiness subsides and the divine dining has been done, there’s nothing more to say as you leave us but a big thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mal Manchester in the near future.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

Stopped for 1 night and didn't want to leave!!! What a hotel, the room was amazing and the staff were the same would advise anyone and everyone to stay!! Will be stopping there again soon very soon!!

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear Stpoole

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and it pleases me to hearthat our staff made you feel at home and when all the slinkiness subsides and the divine dining has been done, there’s nothing more to say as you leave us but a big thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mal Manchester in the near future.

Reviewed 17 November 2011

The hotel was situated in a perfect location for us, we found it so easily as it was just down the road from Picadilly station. It's right in the middle of Manchester so shops, bars and restaurants are all nearby and it was a short taxi ride from the MEN Arena.

The hotel as a whole is beautiful, it's decorated so uniquely. Our room was absolutely gorgeous.. Modern, clean and spacious, just so different from any other hotel we've ever stayed in, we had a huge TV and the bed was so comfortable. The bathroom was nice, the shower was lovely and the smellies they provide smell delicious! (Who doesn't love hotel smellies!). The thing I liked was the little added extras that they provide for you that make your stay special such as the pillows, magazines, a good selection in the mini-bar and even the dressing gowns and slippers!

The staff at the hotel are all lovely, they really look after you. The reception staff are welcoming and lovely to talk to as are the bar and restaurant staff. We ate at the Smoak restaurant for dinner and breakfast, food was great and we didn't have to wait long at all.

Yes it is different hotel, (they do say they dare to be different!) but that's what makes your stay unique and special. We had never stayed at a Malmaison before but will definately be back to stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone!

Dear Miss CHR

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the vibe of the hotel and the staff made your experience extra special, I hope you enjoyed the gig at the MEN and when all the slinkiness subsides and the divine dining has been done, there’s nothing more to say as you leave us but a big thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Mal Manchester in the near future.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

First impressions were that the hotel was very lovely. Reception and rooms are really nice, modern and everything you'd expect. We booked the deal with dinner and this was where the problems arose.
The Smoak restaurant is a nice setting and the deal involved £15.95 per person toward the evening meal which was fine, understood and all well and good. However what I did object to was being interrupted every 2 minutes by the happy clappy brigade asking me if my meal was Ok (which it was average at best) . However the really annoying thing was the 10% surcharge added automatically at the discretion of the hotel in the way of a tip for the waiter. NOTE to Malmaison you are a hotel in the North of England and not a cruise ship and I personally found this to be extremely presumptious and I left feeling as though I'd been ripped off!!
Not only did I find that cheeky but you took 10% of the £15.95 per person included with the eveing meal.

Won't be visiting again and I'd review that policy straight away.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2011

Dear Milky Bar Kid

I am sorry to read that you found us sadly lacking, and I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter further with yourself so I can personally look into your concerns, please contact me directly on 0161 278 1000 or croutledge@malmaison.com where I can hopefully restore your faith back into Mal Manchester.

Yours Sincerely