“Average”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #32 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Thought I'd change from my normal Manchester Hotel and give Malmaison a go, staff were friendly but everything else fell falls short of the Mark, decor is badly aged, bedroom look like it needed a really deep clean, bed was not that comfortable. Was really not what I had expected from a Malmaison. Sorry but won't be coming back

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Craig R, Assistant Operations Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Asapearce

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Mal Manchester on your recent visit to the city,
we appreciate you giving us your feedback as it is only through this that we can continually strive to improve the Mal experience.
I am sorry to read that you found us sadly lacking, and I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter further with yourself so I can personally look into your concerns, please be assured that this is not the usual standard of service that we aim to deliver here at Mal. Please contact me directly on 0161 278 1000 or croutledge@malmaison.com where I can hopefully restore your faith back into Mal Manchester.

There are newer reviews for Malmaison Manchester

Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is such a fantastic hotel. The rooms were amazing, the service, restaurant and bar are all great. I really cannot think of a fault with this hotel. Parking is limited but usual city centre hotel I guess. You do however get a discount with the local NCP car parks.

It's ideally located across from Piccidilly train station and is a brisk walk from the fantastic shops, bars and restaurants of Manchester.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We decided to stay there for my birthday as we hadpreviously been there and it was good value for money.

Malmaison for me has always been a hotel which I've found romantic. Dinner is normally nice and relaxed in a peaceful dining room. It was a place where you can enjoy a nice coctail and relax.

This experience was not that. When we entered the lobby we noticed it had changed. There was the usual Malmaison decor that we love but it was mixed with hessian blinds and tables looked like barrel. There was aslo horns on the walls. A sort of wild west themed bar and restaurant. Two different styles of decor which didn't match. We had dinner there and to be honest it was trying to be good food but failed. It wasn't terrible or anything just uninspiring. The white wine that came free with the dinner package was not drinkable and we had to order a different one. One more thing to add was the music was really loud. There were lots of couples there for romantic meals listening to loud music you would find in a wild west bar.

We found the staff to be very helpful and pleasant.

We wont be returning. What was good value and romantic isn't now. We left thinking we wished we had stayed somewhere else.

Dear C Varney

Reviewed 24 February 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at the Malmaison in Manchester. Overall the stay was fine but the double room we were given was compact and needed some aligity to get pass one side of the double bed! This is the shame because the first time we stayed the room was fine.

Apart from the size of the room the hotel is fine. Great location opposite Piccadilly Railway Station - the city is within easy walking distance and the metro trams run nearby.

The hotel is clean and tidy, the service from staff was great.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed for Valetnines day as a couple in the 'Best Suite', with being a receptionist myself at another hotel I had high expectations for the evening.
We arrived and waited in a que, whilst waiting to be served we were given no acknowledgment whilst waiting, check in was quite 'standard'.
The room itself was the best room ive ever stayed in, and certainly turned my night around when I seen that the housekeeping had made lovely gesture by placing rose petals on the bed and in the bath tub, the champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries were amazing!!
We had made a reservation for the hotel restaurant, I did ask the receptionist on duty for a menu to be brought up to the room, an hour passed and I had to ring back down for the menu again, it seemed like there was a set menu and there was nothing to our fancy so we decided to eat out.
When returning from our night out we had realised that we left our key in the room, and was waiting again at reception for 15 minutes for someone to acknowledge us in the end I asked a waiter from the bar to get someone to serve me.
In the morning we had ordered a champagne breakfast to be brought up to the room, when it arrived I was very disapointed there was no mushroom, or tomatoes or beans which is quite unusual for a full english, aswel as it being only a small proportion, no sauces were brought up and no salt or pepper neither, but did not want to ring down mithering as it would of been cold by the time they brought it up anyways.
Overall It was the room that really made our night, as it was honestly an amazing room! check out the following morning the girl on reception was lovely and let us have a late checkout aswel as look after our luggage whilst we did a bit of shopping.
For what I payed which was over £300 I wasnt compleley satisfied, I would return to the hotel only if i got a good deal on the rate.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed just for one day in mid feb and found the hotel really nice and the room was good to,ye breakfast very expensive and u don't get much asked for the "large breakfast" it came with 1 sausages 2 bacon one medium size mushroom,tomato and two poached eggs which I asked to be runny and they were not they were very watery,also the beer at the bar needs sortin out I had to send my larger back as there was no life in it especially when u pay 4.75 for a pint
Had a good stay thou

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Visited the Malmaison in Manchester for a birthday weekend, the staff were super lovely in arranging for an early check in at short notice so I must give praise and thanks for that.

Our room was on the 2nd floor, facing an alleyway, which was fine...obviously not a 'room with a view'.

The room, on the surface was fine, double bed, tea and coffee making facilities, bathroom with shower over bath, all fine. What was however plainly obvious was the lack of "deep cleaning" in the room, the bath had mouldy grout on the tiles and the floor had been cleaned and mopped fleetingly but the corners and edges were filthy and hadnt seen a mop in some time, there was toothpaste sprickle up the mirror frame from previous guests and the mirror itself higher than head height hadnt been cleaned in a while...I guess, given the price of the room, i expected it to be sparkly clean...but other than that the room was fine and the stay was lovely, there was a bit of noise but that was to be expected in the city centre on a weekend, though the window seal was broken so everything seemed a bit louser, like the window was ipen, but it was fine.

Parking nearby was £15 per night unless you were happy to have a it of a walk and park in an unsecured place which was £6.50 for 24 hours.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple