“Great hotel - but not as described in booking”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #33 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
“Great hotel - but not as described in booking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stayed for one night at Malmaison Manchester. Booked on line an 'executive' room which according to the confirmation comes with the 'over sized mal toiletries'. Upon check in, and entry to the room, and having stayed at this and a number of other malmaisons, the room appeared to be very much a standard room, furthermore the 'mal' toiletries were not oversized but standard size. I spoke to the reception re this and was advised that the room allocated was an 'executive' room - however I was hard pressed to tell any difference. Re the toiletries I was told by reception that they only have the one size, which of course they don't as I have previously stayed in other malmaisons and had the larger versions as described - upon this they said they would try and get some additional bottles sent to the room, however this unfortunately never materialised. It's a small detail, but when it is expected as part of what has been booked, paid for and confirmed it is diss appointing that it isn't fulfilled, and can take the edge off the experience. On the positive side the hotel is well located and the rooms nice and quiet and clean, with good tea and coffee in the rooms and stocked mini bars. It can be a but difficult to see where the hotel is as the branding is minimal, with the name if the restaurant and bar taking greater prominence. The bar itself is somewhat unusual but it has a nice atmosphere and was nicely busy with people eating and drinking. Overall it is a good hotel and I would go back. The actual 'mal' toiletries are excellent and some of the best in the business, from Aaran Aromatics in Scotland, making it dissapointing this element wasn't fully delivered as expected.

• Stayed March 2012
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback. I’m sorry that you were disappointed with your room and that your request for extra toiletries was not fulfilled. I will ensure this is addressed with the appropriate departments. If you decide to stay again however, please contact me directly so I can ensure you are allocated a room more suitable. I’m glad that you otherwise enjoyed the hotel and I very much hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Indonesian first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Having previously stayed at the Oxford and Birmingham Malmaison I was quite keen to see what the Manchester one had to offer as I was a very satisfied guest at the previous two. The hotel wasn't too hard to find and the car park was very close. Had checked in with my partner just after 3pm there were a couple of people infront of us and we didn't have to wait too long. Saying that when we did get seen to we were offered an apology by a very friendly staff member. She was really polite and helpful and showed a genuine interest in our stay. We were booked into the junior suite and it was worth every penny. A very spacious lounge, amazing bathroom and the bedroom was very roomy. I love the look that Malmaison offers to its guests and having stayed at two other hotels I can honestly say this is the best one we have stayed at. The staff were very efficient and just all round polite - what more could you ask for? One thing I will say is at approx 2am there was some sort of alarm that went off in the room, it didnt cause too much of a problem but I did forget to mention this on checkout to someone. I would definatley be returning in the future - its a great location too!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 1 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I’m very glad that you found our hotel to be to your taste and it’s wonderful to know that our team looked after you. I’m sure you’re keen to investigate the Malmaison properties that you have not yet tried, but I hope that a return visit to us in Manchester will also be on your list! I’ll very much look forward to welcoming you next time.

Staffordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

Absolutely loved staying here. Unfortunately, we were only able to stay for one night, but will definitely be staying again. It is everything you expect from Malmaison; with quirky features and fabulous interior. The room we stayed in is laid out differently to a normal hotel room, which in my opinion gives you more space, and a huge bathroom! Something i noticed too was the lovely smell in the room, it was as if someone had gone round and sprayed perfume, i don't know what it is but it smells gorgeous! Breakfast was nice, and completed what was a lovely stay :) thanks to the staff and everyone at the manchester malmaison.

Room Tip: With it being a city hotel there is always going to be traffic noise, that comes with the good locat...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we’ll look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Having stayed at Manchester malmaison on a number of occasions, I was delighted to find the Sunday Mal deal, where you can stay for £30 as long as you spend £75 in the bar/restaurant. However on arrival we were disappointed to find that the restaurant had been replaced by an American diner. As my fiancé and I are both (fish eating) vegetarians, we were very limited by the poor range of veggie food - Aubergine and goats cheese curry or vegetable meat loaf both sound foul. We settled for a hake and seafood risotto, and a fillet of bream. Both pieces of fish were over cooked and tasteless, and the risotto was tired and gloopy. We wanted to order a bottle of prosecco, but after a short wait, the waiter said he didn't have any chilled, so we ended up having a more expensive but less flavoursome bottlle.
However, the sign of a company that really cares about customer service is how they deal with problems. When I mentioned that we were disappointed with the meal, within 10 mins the manager called us in the room to arrange a free bottle of prosecco and to take the entire meal off the bill. It was absolutely no trouble to him and he was most concerned that we weren't happy
The rooms were fine, ours overlooked the main road but we didn't hear any road noise, and the breakfast in bed is definitely worth ordering, with croissant, jam, pain au chocolat, fruit, cornflakes and a muesli yogurt thing. Lovely. We'll be back but I'd give the restaurant a miss next time.

• Stayed March 2012
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review and for your continued custom. I’m very sorry that the restaurant was not to your liking and that you didn’t find the menu sufficient for your diet. I will certainly highlight your feedback with our head chef.

I’m very glad however, that you were satisfied with the service recovery provided by the team and that you enjoyed breakfast. If you do wish to stay with us again, please contact me directly and I’ll happily handle all aspects of your reservation.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Stayed here for a conference on the following day, on booking in I thought the staff were very attentive and helpful. Always good to get a warm reception. Walking through the foyer to the lifts it did come across as being a little bit too munch like a Gentleman’s club, but it was very tasteful, just a little dark. The room was fantastic, not sure what type of room that I had, but it was very clean, very well decorated. The bottle of red wine waiting is a nice touch, as is the little extra’s that you can purchase if you have forgotten something. The evening meal, whilst a little pricey was nice, portion size was a little on the small side, service was good. I didn’t really use the facilities as I was only there for one evening, would definitely use the hotel again.

Room Tip: I think I had an Executive room. I would say it was fantastic.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments. I’m glad that you had a positive experience with us. I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Myself and 14 ladies stayed here for my hen night and had a fantastic time! We organised everything through the events department and had a private lunch and cocktail class in the Ember Lounge. Becky in events was brilliant and very patient with the million emails I sent changing my mind and making sure everything was perfect. Paul looked after us for lunch and the canapés were fantastic, everyone said how nice the food was. Paul was also a great teacher and we loved the cocktail class! It was such fun and Paul made sure he took care of all the little details just to add that extra special touch to our experience - like the huge bowl of fries he brought out at the end of the class because he knew we were getting the munches after all the cocktail sampling! Caroline on reception was brilliant as well, showing an interest in what we had been doing and making sure we had had a good stay. The hotel is a 3 star and you can see that in the detail of the rooms - they are a little tired, but the service we received at the hotel really is first class and nothing is too much trouble. I will definitely stay here again.

Dear Guest,

It’s lovely to hear how much you enjoyed your hen night; thank you for choosing to host it with us. It’s great to know that Becky, Paul and Caroline all helped to make your day special and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Many congratulations for your big day!

Holmfirth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012 via mobile

We stayed for one night on a Saturday. The bar and restaurant has been refurbished since our last visit. Not sure whether it's a hit or miss though, trying to be an American diner in a boutique style hotel???

The staff were warm and friendly, the bar and restaurant both serving good food and drink.

The main negative of our stay was the bed. Well past it's sell by date, a completely collapsed mattress and literally impossible to sleep in. That said it was too late in the evening to complain so I mentioned it on check-out and hopefully something will be done for the next guests.

Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I’m so please that you found our staff friendly and that you enjoyed your food and drink, even though perhaps the style wasn’t to your taste.

I’m very sorry to hear that the quality of the bed disturbed your sleep. Thank you very much for highlighting this to us on check out. I will see that the mattress is replaced so no further guests are affected.