“Very Enjoyable Stay”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #32 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I’ve always wanted to stay at Malmaison and was lucky enough to book in at a great price two months prior to my stay, so good in fact that the Premier Inn was coming up more expensive! Hotel is in a great location for the station, shops and Northern Quarter bars, just a few minutes’ walk away. There is no parking at the hotel but we pulled in to the side street next to the hotel, where there is on street parking, while we unloaded the car. On arrival in to the hotel there was a slight queue at reception, noticeable throughout our stay, but we didn’t have to wait too long. I guess it shows how popular the hotel is. Reception staff were very friendly and informative.

We were given a great room, slightly bigger than I had expected and the better out of several that we booked. Bathroom was a good size with a very powerful shower and the room had all the comforts that I’d expect. The body lotion and shower gel smell amazing and are now in my bathroom at home! As the decor uses a lot of black there did seem to be a bit of dust, particularly in the bathroom, but this does happen with that colour so I wouldn’t say the rooms weren’t clean. No problem with noise even though the hotel is on a busy road and I slept really well. Found a sock in one of the cupboards! But all in all the room was very very nice.

We used the spa during our stay and it was really fantastic, situated in the basement it is dimly lit and very inviting. Wonderful relaxing treatments that left my skin so soft, and loved using the massage chairs. Highly recommended. We had a few drinks in the Smoak bar- glasses of wine were a bit on the expensive side I thought, and staff automatically added on a tip, but i really liked the style of the bar. I can see why some regulars feel this style doesn’t fit with the Malmaison theme but they shouldn’t worry about that and just enjoy it!

We didn’t eat at the hotel as had other plans but with so many great restaurants and bars to choose from you won’t be stuck for choice. My sister lives in Manchester and we went to some really great places-Jamie’s Italian, Room, Trof, The Alchemist, Livingroom and The Oast House to name a few. Breakfast at Home Sweet Home is the best, amazing milkshakes! All worth a visit.

Room Tip: Rooms with both shower and bath seemed bigger
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments. I’m so pleased that the hotel was to your liking and that our staff gave you friendly welcome. I’m glad you took your toiletries home with you, which we encourage all our guests to do. If you’re back in Manchester in the near future, pop in and I’ll happily give you a refill!

Hope to welcome you again.

There are newer reviews for Malmaison Manchester

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed in April 2012, the second time we have stayed here.. We booked the executive room for a night to celebrate an anniversary. We mentioned this upon arrival to reception, and were made to feel very welcome from Rosie, she alone made the whole experience feel very special with little extras she added! Thank you! The rooms are beautifully decorated and all staff friendly on both times we have been. We will be returning again soon! Great hotel and staff, what more could you ask?!

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued custom. I’m so glad you’ve had another enjoyable stay with us. Congratulations on your anniversary! I’ll look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

After hearing about this hotel I booked in for one night. I was quite excited to stay but the novelty too soon wore off. My room looked a little tired to say the least - and was not at all clean. A sock covered the smoke alarm , dust covered most surfaces and the bathroom was not at all at the standard I would expect. Room service was cold, but replaced quick enough. I must say however when I checked out and talked to reception about the disappointing issues, they instantly cancelled my room service bill. I left feeling slightly better but still a little grunpy that my expectations hadn't been met.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
I’m so sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. It is very important to us that our guests have a great experience and this was obviously not achieved. I’d be grateful if you would contact me directly so I can discuss the issues further.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stayed for one night at Malmaison Manchester. Booked on line an 'executive' room which according to the confirmation comes with the 'over sized mal toiletries'. Upon check in, and entry to the room, and having stayed at this and a number of other malmaisons, the room appeared to be very much a standard room, furthermore the 'mal' toiletries were not oversized but standard size. I spoke to the reception re this and was advised that the room allocated was an 'executive' room - however I was hard pressed to tell any difference. Re the toiletries I was told by reception that they only have the one size, which of course they don't as I have previously stayed in other malmaisons and had the larger versions as described - upon this they said they would try and get some additional bottles sent to the room, however this unfortunately never materialised. It's a small detail, but when it is expected as part of what has been booked, paid for and confirmed it is diss appointing that it isn't fulfilled, and can take the edge off the experience. On the positive side the hotel is well located and the rooms nice and quiet and clean, with good tea and coffee in the rooms and stocked mini bars. It can be a but difficult to see where the hotel is as the branding is minimal, with the name if the restaurant and bar taking greater prominence. The bar itself is somewhat unusual but it has a nice atmosphere and was nicely busy with people eating and drinking. Overall it is a good hotel and I would go back. The actual 'mal' toiletries are excellent and some of the best in the business, from Aaran Aromatics in Scotland, making it dissapointing this element wasn't fully delivered as expected.

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your feedback. I’m sorry that you were disappointed with your room and that your request for extra toiletries was not fulfilled. I will ensure this is addressed with the appropriate departments. If you decide to stay again however, please contact me directly so I can ensure you are allocated a room more suitable. I’m glad that you otherwise enjoyed the hotel and I very much hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Having previously stayed at the Oxford and Birmingham Malmaison I was quite keen to see what the Manchester one had to offer as I was a very satisfied guest at the previous two. The hotel wasn't too hard to find and the car park was very close. Had checked in with my partner just after 3pm there were a couple of people infront of us and we didn't have to wait too long. Saying that when we did get seen to we were offered an apology by a very friendly staff member. She was really polite and helpful and showed a genuine interest in our stay. We were booked into the junior suite and it was worth every penny. A very spacious lounge, amazing bathroom and the bedroom was very roomy. I love the look that Malmaison offers to its guests and having stayed at two other hotels I can honestly say this is the best one we have stayed at. The staff were very efficient and just all round polite - what more could you ask for? One thing I will say is at approx 2am there was some sort of alarm that went off in the room, it didnt cause too much of a problem but I did forget to mention this on checkout to someone. I would definatley be returning in the future - its a great location too!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2012

Dear Guest,

I’m very glad that you found our hotel to be to your taste and it’s wonderful to know that our team looked after you. I’m sure you’re keen to investigate the Malmaison properties that you have not yet tried, but I hope that a return visit to us in Manchester will also be on your list! I’ll very much look forward to welcoming you next time.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Absolutely loved staying here. Unfortunately, we were only able to stay for one night, but will definitely be staying again. It is everything you expect from Malmaison; with quirky features and fabulous interior. The room we stayed in is laid out differently to a normal hotel room, which in my opinion gives you more space, and a huge bathroom! Something i noticed too was the lovely smell in the room, it was as if someone had gone round and sprayed perfume, i don't know what it is but it smells gorgeous! Breakfast was nice, and completed what was a lovely stay :) thanks to the staff and everyone at the manchester malmaison.

Room Tip: With it being a city hotel there is always going to be traffic noise, that comes with the good locat...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we’ll look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Having stayed at Manchester malmaison on a number of occasions, I was delighted to find the Sunday Mal deal, where you can stay for £30 as long as you spend £75 in the bar/restaurant. However on arrival we were disappointed to find that the restaurant had been replaced by an American diner. As my fiancé and I are both (fish eating) vegetarians, we were very limited by the poor range of veggie food - Aubergine and goats cheese curry or vegetable meat loaf both sound foul. We settled for a hake and seafood risotto, and a fillet of bream. Both pieces of fish were over cooked and tasteless, and the risotto was tired and gloopy. We wanted to order a bottle of prosecco, but after a short wait, the waiter said he didn't have any chilled, so we ended up having a more expensive but less flavoursome bottlle.
However, the sign of a company that really cares about customer service is how they deal with problems. When I mentioned that we were disappointed with the meal, within 10 mins the manager called us in the room to arrange a free bottle of prosecco and to take the entire meal off the bill. It was absolutely no trouble to him and he was most concerned that we weren't happy
The rooms were fine, ours overlooked the main road but we didn't hear any road noise, and the breakfast in bed is definitely worth ordering, with croissant, jam, pain au chocolat, fruit, cornflakes and a muesli yogurt thing. Lovely. We'll be back but I'd give the restaurant a miss next time.

• Stayed: March 2012
Craig R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to add your review and for your continued custom. I’m very sorry that the restaurant was not to your liking and that you didn’t find the menu sufficient for your diet. I will certainly highlight your feedback with our head chef.

I’m very glad however, that you were satisfied with the service recovery provided by the team and that you enjoyed breakfast. If you do wish to stay with us again, please contact me directly and I’ll happily handle all aspects of your reservation.