“Gorgeous”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #33 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We ended up having 2 nights here after a disastrous and very brief visit to a different hotel. The staff were friendly, helpful, it is clean and tidy and very nicely done out and the room was perfect. The toiletries actually smell nice, the room was comfy as was the bed. 2 great nights sleep which I never get in hotels. Yes it is pricey but we knew what we were walking in to. We had a brilliant time and would love to stay in other Malmaisons.

1  Thank sleepymummy
Management response:Responded 24 June 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I sincerely hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Isobel Rigby
Duty Manager

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I have always favoured staying in a Malmaison because of the fab rooms, service and the great breakfasts and food in the restaurants. However, after my trip this weekend to the Manchester one I will probably never return to one. This is it in a nutshell - 25 minutes to check-in, rooms not ready at 4pm, constant banging coming pipework in the room, chavvy wedding guests having arguments in the corridors, dirty bathroom, a waiting list to go into breakfast (yes really!!!) despite the restaurant being half empty, having to wait 20 mins for toast yet the couples either side of us got their before us despite sitting down afterwards. The whole place had an unordered and chaotic feel and not the normal sophisticated feel like the other ones have (and I have stayed in most of them). I think the Malmaison bosses need to get a hold of this one and quick!!!

4  Thank JanieLYork
Craig R, Assistant Operations Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Dear Janie

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Mal Manchester on your recent visit to the city,
we appreciate you giving us your feedback as it is only through this that we can continually strive to improve the Mal experience.
I am sorry to read that you found us sadly lacking, and I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter further with yourself so I can personally look into your concerns, please contact me directly on 0161 278 1000 or croutledge@malmaison.com where I can hopefully restore your faith back into Mal Manchester.

Yours Sincerely

Craig Routledge
Assistant Operations Manager

Reviewed 10 June 2012

I booked this hotel as we where going to the Coldplay Concert so expected prices to be slightly higher and also later found out that there was a festival on as well. However we paid £160 for the room and then an additional £20 on arrival for breakfast the next morning.

Small is an understatement of the size of the room, the bed looked nice but other areas of the room looked tired, dusty and as if it could do with a refurb. One biscuit packet with two biscuits between to people, how tight for £160 a room!!!! The bed was so hard I woke a number of times uncomfortable and my hips ached the next day. The bedroom lacked mirrors, the only mirror being in the bathroom with not very good lighting for applying make up, then difficult for doing hair. The shower was one of the big round ones that sit above your head, would have been good to have a normal shower head as an option. Bath filled up to about 5 inches while having a shower, poor drainage.

Poor signs, we use the stairs, but coming back down to the reception got lost as the sign saying ‘stairs’ point to a corridor and the actually door you went through had no sign on it. To get access to the stairs you had to use you room key, but after a certain time on the night they shut it down and again no sign to say your room key won’t open the door.

The bar, looks great and interesting but totally annoying, the bar has seats all the way around it therefore making getting to the bar to get a drink difficult. When we returned from the concert and thought we would have a drink, it took ages to get served then my husband had to lean over other people to get to served. As there was no seats in the bar we grabbed a table in the eating area, other people came and took seats and there was a waiter mulling around to take orders but as he was so slow a few people left without getting a drink.

Breakfast, on a weekend is from 8-11 which is much better than most hotels, we went down about 10 and had to wait about 10 minutes for a table. When we were seated in the restaurant there was quite a few tables empty and we where seat in the middle of the restaurant, with a walkway either side of the table, this meant we had a very disturbed breakfast with staff constantly flying past us. For £10 the breakfast was not brilliant, had better, nothing signed so a little confused as to what was what. My husband had a cooked breakfast which was just ok, but not a lot of it, I had waffles with smoked salmon and cream cheese this was nice.

We have stayed in Malmaison in Newcastle and the room was much better, and the deal was brilliant, we paid about £60 less and had a two course meal included.

As the title says overpriced!!

1  Thank Onlinebabe
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Based on my positive experiences at other Malmaisons, i booked this hotel for a one night stay for business on late rooms (£99 inc breakfast). It was perfect. Across the street from the main train station (no cab needed), the bar/restaurant is very cool and judging by the amount of locals dining in there must be one of the best in the area, food/drinks were great, room was great, and the signature Malmaison continental breakfast which i had in my room was brilliant also. Without a doubt this chain is my number one choice for UK mid-range/business hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My husband and i stayed at the malmaison manchester on the 2nd ad 3rd June 2012. We decided to stay there for a mini honeymoon as we got married the week before. Upon arrival to the hotel we checked in and was asked for our payment card to pay for our room which we didn't mind paying on arrival. when out shopping I found that instead of taking £218 they took £290. We went straight back to the hotel to be told that they always hold more so we don't spend it and can't pay when we leave. We were not happy to say the least as it eant we could not have the meal out in china town that we wanted. They advised us that we would get a refund when we depart on the Monday and nothing ese could be done. As we had £72 to spend that the hotel was keeping we had to eat in the smoak bar on the sunday, we bother ordered the roast beef dinner and the beef and gravy was tastless. The potatoes and yorkshire pudding tasted like fat...not a good experiance. When checking out on Monday we were asked for a further £273 we asked why that was seeing as that had already took £290, we was ensured that when the £273 transaction goes through the £290 will be returned. This was not the case. They have now taken a total of £563 for our 2 night stay and have been waiting for a refund but keep getting passed around. please be aware that this is hapening at theis hotel DO NOT STAY THERE. you can find more honest hotels. We are now having to take the matter further to trading standards as they are not allowed to do this by law as no receipt was given for the £290 the police and trading standards have said that it is classed as stealing. To say the least this ruined our one and onlt honeymoon that we will ever have.

2  Thank Jaimie B
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I was pleased to see the bar area had been revamped since my last visit but I think the rooms could be refreshed a little too. Had a great massage in the spa but the wallpaper was peeling in the room. The plug in my bathroom was a little grubby. Staff were friendly, helpful and polite. Breakfast was good but service was a little slow.
The location is great though, you are literally in the heart of Manchester which is very handy. Beds are comfy and shower was powerful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Having recently stayed at Mal Maison I must say I was very impressed with my experience with Mal Maison. Even though the reception area is always buzzing (like most other hotels) the hotel itself is very peaceful. Unfortunately I was unable on this occasion to sample the restaurant however the bar area was great. The room was very good the power shower is amazing, however the only downfall was the bottles from the bar being emptied outside at 6.30am in the morning. However this minor incident would not deter me from staying in the same room again.

We specifically came to Mal Maison to use the Spa facilities and were not disappointed, this is a hidden gem in the busy hustle and bustle of Manchester. We new specifically what treatments we wanted and the whole experience was both very relaxing and enjoyable I would / am planning on going back in the very near future. The staff we had are an asset to the hotel and were both very welcoming, professional and made the experience very relaxing and enjoyable. Everything is explained and you can pick and choose what products to use even going the extra mile by writing out what products they recommend you use in the future (available at all high street shops so no pressure to buy any products). I would highly recommend both the Spa and the Hotel to anyone who is either staying for one night or one week. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family