“A perfect stay for our anniversary!”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #33 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
North West, England
“A perfect stay for our anniversary!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

I stayed here with my partner for our anniversary on the 2nd November for one night while we had tickets for Ed Sheeran at the Apollo. The location of the hotel is fab, walking distance from the city centre shops and picadilly train station. We had stayed before so knew to expect a lovely stay but this visit far surpassed even our expectations. We absolutely love the decor of the hotel, perfect for a romantic break! We stayed in the Junior Executive Suite (Room 408) and booked the Love Suite Love package. We were checked in efficiently on reception by a lovely woman and took our bags up to the room. When we walked in we were greeted by a large living area, nicely decorated with a big comfy corner sofa and foot stool facing a flat screen tv, and cupboards containing a dvd player, mini bar and i pod docking station. Off to the right of this room was the bathroom which had an average sized bath, a plentiful stock of toiletries and the biggest shower i've ever seen with a massive round shower head. Around the sink they had scattered rose petals which was a lovely touch. We then went through to the bedroom and were pleased to see a HUGE (and v.comfortable) bed with rose petals placed on it. On one side of this was a large dressing table and a well lit large mirror. On the dressing table was a bottle of champagne on ice with two glasses chilling and an array of strawberries dipped in chocolate and a sprinkling of icing sugar - delicious! On the other side of the bed was a good sized bedside table and next to that a table and comfy armchair. There was also a double fitted wardrobe with comfy bathrobes and slippers for us to use, as well as a safe, coffee and tea facilities and other little touches such as wipes to clean shoes, etc. Air con worked well and wasn't too noisy. View from the room was great from all angles. There was a full length mirror on the inside of the door. We had already made arrangements to eat out but we did order room service when we got in late at night (beans on toast, cheese on toast) which were £6.00 each but this is a typical amount to pay for room service and the food was lovely. We also got a free cocktail at the bar as part of the package we bought which we took advantage of when we returned to the hotel after the concert. We both had a woo woo, I also had a raspberry amaretto sour and my partner had a frozen strawberry daiquiri - all were beautiful! I have seen reviews that mention bar staff being surly but we found them to be the total opposite! Excellent service even at a very busy time. The girl who served us was on her first shift but we found her to be friendly, helpful and efficient! Checkout the next morning was painless, again very helpful staff on reception, eager to know how they could have improved our stay and gave us a thorough breakdown of the total cost. We paid £290 overall for our stay including snacks and drinks and it was worth every penny. Thank you very much for making our anniversary so perfect! We will be returning!

Room Tip: So much more room in the suites - well worth the extra money!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rayna000
Isobel R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 22 November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review.

I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to the team. Congratulations on your anniversary, and I hope we will see you again soon.

Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Indonesian first
Beirut, Lebanon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

Hotel Malmaison, for anyone travelling by Train into Manchester's Piccadilly Station in the city's down town area, is the perfect spot to arrive to as you literally get out of the station, walk up the street and cross the road and you are 'home'. The next morning, not only do you realize that access to Malmaison was super easy, but that Hotel Malmaison is perfectly placed in the center of Manchester, giving you very easy access to the city's shopping area, main plaza, best restaurants, China Town and more......
The hotel is dark and atmospheric. The hotel's Bar and Restaurant are done up in an esthetic that is typical of NY's downtown Soho district with its industrial chic overtones and atmospheric lighting. The food was good as we had dinner there the first night and the bar offers a very pleasant and attractive lounge area that is unfortunately understaffed leading to long waits for service and the appearance of tired waiters with attitude. The rooms range from Standard to Cozy (as in small), I was promised a Standard, but got a Cozy (small). Still the bed was super comfortable, the room had all one could ask for and the staff was always very helpful and pleasant. The only downside is the lack of lighting and dark colors which are sacrifice in the name of atmosphere but which can in the long run be missed! All in all a very positive experience that I would repeat.

Room Tip: "Cozy" is small, but doable.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SamIam G

Thank you for your review.

I'm glad that you had an overall positive experience. I'm sorry that there were a couple of issues and I will address these with the appropriate teams.

Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Stayed here one night on their stay for £10 as long as you spend £75 in restaurant/bar. Room wasn't ready when we arrived at 2pm so waited in bar area. Bar staff were a bit surly to be honest. Looked as if we were a inconvenience rather than paying guests.
Room was supposed to be a deluxe double but was nowhere near as big as the last time we stayed here. Rang to complain but they wouldn't move us. A bit disappointed to be honest!
Food was fine. Wine good. Service was better here than in bar. Room service was awful and a rip off £6 for the worst cheese on toast ever.
Breakfast next morning was slow, had to remind waitress about tea/ coffee after a wait.
The decor is nice, dark and moody but is let down with a somewhat indifferent attitude to service and the finer details. Oh and I must mention .... 1 pack of biscuits in room....... Seriously
malmaison??

Room Tip: Well we specified a deluxe double but don't think we got one so good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your review.

I'm sorry that you had such a disappointing stay. I'd very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss these matters with you. Please call me at your earliest convenience on 0161 2781000.

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Manchester UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

The hotel is located close to Piccadilly Station in not the prettiest area of the city. However, the place just oozes class, from the reception & bar area to the restaurant & rooms. The staff are friendly & helpful even wishing you a pleasant night out or welcome back on return. Our room wasn't the biggest but perfectly acceptable and very comfortable. We didn't eat in the restauarant other than for breakfast - but the food was very tasty & well presented. On balance I think Malmaison delivers a classy comfortable stay for guests

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review.

I'm so glad that you had an enjoyable stay and I sincerely hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

I initially booked the room on Booking.com and we stayed in room 209. Spacious, corner room, big bed, bountiful toiletries, fluffy towels, and overall clean. The bed was a bit too firm for my taste, but I was still able to somewhat sleep. The shower was amazing - great water pressure and it was the big rounded shower head that made the difference. The only complaint about the shower/bath was that it didn't drain the water well. Water was up to my ankles by the time I turned off the water. This doesn't bother me so much, but it probably will if you stayed here for a week. Overall, we will definitely come back again and stay here.

Thank you for your review.

I'm glad that you found the hotel to your liking and I hope that you will visit us again. I will ensure that the maintenance issue you described has been dealt with.

Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

My husband and I visited this hotel for one night whilst at a concert in Manchester. We know the area having lived there so weren't interested in seeing the sights, just having a nice hotel to spend the night in.

The hotel itself is conveniently positioned close to the city centre, train station etc and was very busy. The decor is very dark, with lots of reds and blacks, which was quite clandestine/depressing at times. We were given a standard room which was very nice but had to be moved because it was obvious someone had been smoking in the bathroom. Considering the hotel has a non smoking policy I don't know what happened there but I called reception to inform them of this and to ensure that they knew it wasn't us!

We then got moved and upgraded to another room which was very nice and decorated in black and white checks etc. It was obvious that it was well decorated and better than the previous room.

I went to reception to inform them that whilst the room was being arranged my husband and I would grab a drink at the bar. The lady I needed to speak to had just disappeared into the office so another member of staff suggested that I move to the back of the queue whilst waiting for her to come back. Considering I'd already queued to check in and I was having to speak to staff because of a fault with their hotel room, I was not impressed and therefore walked off to the bar.

We went to get a drink in the bar only to find that whilst waiting we were ignored by all the staff. Eventually a member from reception came to speak to us about our room (the one I didn't manage to speak to earlier) and I asked if it was bar or waiter service. She replied waiter normally but they were very busy so she took my order instead. She also apologised for her colleague asking me to rejoin the queue for check in.

The drinks that we were given were not charged for which was a nice gesture from them.

The breakfast the next morning was the highlight of our stay. The cooked meal was tasty and the general experience good.

Overall my impression of this hotel and our stay was overpriced to an extent and poor on customer service. We paid approx £150 for our bed and breakfast. We had a room which had tea and coffee facilities which were nice, but only had 1 hot chocolate sachet and 1 packet of biscuits for 2 of us! There was a wealth of food in the room on display and in the mini bar but all with stupidly extortionate prices. It would appear that nothing is free....and sometimes small gestures such as a free chocolate or complimentary drink or even a packet of biscuits each goes a long way....and so easy to do.

So we encountered a few problems which were resolved but we would most likely look at other hotels if we needed to stay in Manchester again.

Room Tip: The suites are nice but more expensive that standard rooms and the difference is really only the dec...
1 Thank connorb77

Thank you for your review.

I'm sorry that there were so many elements of your stay that were disappointing.Obviosly, this is not the sandard that we wish to offer and as such i'd like the opportunity to discuss these matters further.

Please call me at your convenience on 0161 2781000.

Isobel RIgby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

We arrived (a party of eight) having been assured an early check in was available at 12.30. The rooms where not available and so had to leave bags behind desk, and told they would be put in the rooms. On returning to pick up room keys, could not be told who's bags where in which room, so we all had to track across the hotel searching. 2 bags still missing, so went back to reception, told the bag must be in one of the rooms. When staff opened door holding luggage luckily spotted our bags so could point them out. Finally able to go to room to get ready for night out in Manchester.
Came down to bar to meet rest of party, SW having already ordered drinks, further four of us ordered drinks, standard beer, wine nothing complicated, then waited.......and waited........and waited.....approx 25 minutes. Staff not as slow I'm giving the bill, or returning to collect payment!!
What could have been a fantastic stay due to hotel location and decor, was made frustrating and average by lack of organisation and customer service.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Dragon12345
Isobel R, Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry that you had a disappointing stay and we will be in contact with you directly.