“Excellent, would return.”

Ranked #35 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Timbuktu, Mali
“Excellent, would return.”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Reception is dark but not as dark as Hollister for example. The seating in front of reception is quite awkward and makes it difficult to tell just by looking who is in the queue, but these are very minor details. Reception staff were polite and fast. The double room was very nice. It was clean and comfortable. Off the top of my head the room contained: ironing board, iron, hairdryer, safe, fridge, television, [kettle, tea (a few varieties), coffee, hot chocolate, the sugars, & milks, biscuits, tray], reading touch lamp on desk, dvd player.

The view from the room was terrible but I was there on business and didn't care at all. The room was well lit. The bathroom was clean with generous amounts of shower gel, conditioner, body lotion etc. It had a very large shower head up above, and a movable shower head on the wall. Very easy to use and good drainage (wet room as opposed to shower unit). Two mats provided (rubber and towel).

Just to make it clear for anybody wondering, there is no kitchenette. You cannot cook food in the room and there is no microwave. I did not eat in the restaurant and can't comment on it.

The only negative comments are, 1) there's a door (locked) to the next room, meaning I could hear them if they coughed etc. I prefer more privacy than just a door between rooms. 2) It was quite noisy outside. My room must have been above the rear of a bar or something because I could hear empty bottles being put into bins etc. late at night, and it was quite noisy too (I don't think the windows are double glazed).

The hotel is literally a two minute walk from Manchester Picadilly Station, probably the handiest hotel to it. Good location. I would go back even for a city break -- I will be back on business next December and I will request my business books me in Malmaison again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2012

One night stay here whilst we attend a concert in Manchester and much better than the Mercure we used the weekend before and ironically cheaper
Good well equipped room with all amenities firm bed and very clean with all the bathroom accessories which Cassie loves
The only downside to this hotel was the reception area and I beelieve here the hotel has gone over the top with the desire to ccreate atmosphere as it iss the darkest reception I have ever used it was impossible to see what or where I was signing!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Impressive boutique styling and furnishing. very comfy bedrooms, good bed, fabulous toiletries. Good Food - had dinner in restaurant. Also, i asked for continental breakfast to be delivered to my room at 06:15hrs, and it was: freshly squeezed orange juice, yoghurt with fruit compote and pistachios, 3 types of pastry and croissant, cereal, preserves.. fresh milk.. more than i could possibly eat.
room was quiet, a/c was effective but not noisy and not too "drying..".
I left hotel at 0700 hrs and was on my train at Picadilly by 0710hrs. Very handy indeed!

Room Tip: i had room 542
London
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I must admit it's been six years since I've stayed at this hotel but boy what a difference. Style - shabby at that - now prevails over substance. And I was rather disappointed as the Malmaison brand is one with great values.

I'll gloss over the ten minute wait for check-in - it was 5.30pm so a busy time.

But the room I was given had definitely seen better days. The door looked as if at some point had had a good kicking and was scratched, with a poor job to cover this up. The desk chair was getting threadbare on the arm. The desk itself was badly worn with scratches and the wood stain wearing thin on the edges. The TV remote was so worn it was impossible to tell which button selected channels and which controlled volume. The pedal bin in the bathroom was badly - noticeably - dented. And there was a stain of questionable origin on the carpet just by the desk. Oh, and there was an unpleasant smell of drains in the bathroom.

Our waiter in the bar was friendly but in that very fake sort of way - doing a job with a smile but actually probably resenting having to serve us. The bill was presented way way too soon and our joke that they wanted us to leave was greeted with another fake laugh before his brain kicked in and realised what we were saying and then apologised. Glassware was poorly cleaned with (other people's) lipmarks evident around the rims of both wine and water glasses.

Housekeeping and maintenance standards are clearly slipping and these details can't be difficult to put right. But it appears that some sort of inspection routine is either missing or cursory.

So such a shame really because, as I said, I have a lot of affinity with the brand. But looking at recent reviews it appears I'm not the only person to notice the tiredness creeping in.

The only saving grace was the genuine dismay shown by the receptionist when I checked out - she noted the comments and I believed her when she said she would talk to the general manager about them. Oh, and the bed was really snug and comfortable.

Should I return the next time I'm in Manchester? I'd need a lot of convincing.

Milton keynes
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Like all Mal's I've been to, the decor is a little wild, which is great. The bed was perfect, the breakfast good and the bar was lively and the best option around.

For those who want to venture out, 5 minutes to Canal Street, China Town or the shops..

The staff were great... but I do wish they'd spend more money of furniture and carpets so they don't look worn so early in their life...

Still, it cost no more than a business box room and is far more fun.

Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We arrived along with 3 other couples on last Saturday at 3.30 p.m. in the afternoon to be told that our room was not ready. They offered us a free drink at the bar which was nice but didn't make up for the fact that we needed to get ready and be out of the hotel by 5.30. We went to the bar for our free drinks - 40 minutes later we go them! Service was dreadful. We checked whether the room was ready 3 times and finally got into it at 5 o'clock. The room was ok but not worth the price. Have definitely stayed in better rooms with better service for half the cost.
Admittedly the next morning the receptionist was extremely friendly and when she asked about our stay we told her about the wait the previous day she offered us the opportunity to speak with the Manager but we didn't have time. She did take some money off the room cost which again was very nice but the room should have been ready. After all, the hotel industry is one of the few industries where they know exactly how many people are coming and going and should be prepared for this. Would definitely not stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Buxton Derbyshire in the High Peak Forest
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

My partner and I had a busy day in manchester looking for venues for our wedding. On the back to the train station we called into the hotel for a drink.
We decided to have a bar meal while we relaxed.
The barservice and waiter service was very good. We orded the spicey chicken wrap and fries.
When they arrived I was surprised to be served warm potatoes and a COLD wrap !!!!
I asked one of the staff if this was supposed to be served cold and he said "yes" he did offer to take it back and re heat this for me.
One thing I never do, is send food back to the kitchen to be re heated!!!!!!

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple