“5* Service”

Ranked #35 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Lincolnshire
“5* Service”
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Stayed here just before New Year, and was plesantly surprised by the location... Didn't realise how central is was located... close to all amenities we needed. Opposite the train station, up the road to the shops, pubs and a range of eating places which I'd highly recommend you didn't visit!! The Smoke bar & grill was superb although slightly expensive, the food choice was really good and the cocktails varied and fabulous..
Then we get to the service... allowed us to check in early and then upgraded us to a corner suite.. I can honestly say it was the best Ive ever stayed in (in the UK), spacious, clean and brilliant drench shower..
We never tried the breakfast as we were too full from the night before and we never received the free compilmentary newspaper (which we've get to get in any Mal hotel) but can fully recommend every other part of the hotel..
THANK YOU Leon for making it a memorable trip.. we will be back

Room Tip: Pay extra for an upgrade - well worth it
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank missymlincolnshire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Indonesian first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2013

...and I was really quite impressed. I've stayed at a number of the Malmaison hotels and this was possibly the best (bar the one in Oxford which is fab). The recption team were great, the bar was busy (even on a Tuesday night) as was the restaurant. The service in the restaurant was great and the food exceptional (I had the Thai Green Curry which was VERY Green but very nice).

I booked online and only paid £79 for the room which, compared to the Crowne Plaza at £119 where I stayed last time I was up in Manchester a couple of months ago, was a bargain and a much much nicer place to stay.

Only slight negative was the room temperature. It was -3 last night and when I arrived in the room the heating was off so the room was FREEZING. When I turned the A/C on it was very noisey but I managed to sleep through it so it couldn't have been that bad I suppose.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I live in Manchester and i love the hotel so much...you know when you've just had enough and you want to escape, well that happens to me a lot and i've tried almost every hotel in the city and this one i just keep coming back to. I come out always feeling so relaxed.
As you walk in you get a very seductive feeling and it feels like you've gone into Moulin Rouge.
I stayed last weekend in a corner suite ( formally the cinema suite ).
Reception were very helpful and happy when i arrived and there was a nice but not overcrowded buzz in the bar. I took the lift which has a seductive feel (cushioned) and it smells wonderful. Malmaison has its own 'aroma' and it's lovely.
What used to put me off slightly has now been rectified (but in my mind not publicised enough) was the wifi, it is now free which is a must, in fact i went and stayed elsewhere sometimes because of this reason. The bathroom was huge and gorgeous..you get all these lovely shampoos etc and the shower is to die for. It was a huge Monsoon shower and you will love it!. There is also of course a bath and they have massage oils and bath oils for you in the suites (it's a shame i was on my own but there you go). The first half of the suite is the bathroom and bed which was massive and i always have a lovely sleep here. Facing your bed is a smaller TV and there are little goodies you don't find in other hotels here. Complimentary Premium water and a basket of goodies ( not complimentary ) but are reasonable and have fab things like foot cream and energy patches and a mini bar. The Lounge area is very spacious with a HUGE TV, surround sound, ipod charger and a lovely sofa with pillows to sink into.There is a DVD player and i just happened to have a film with me and so i ordered room service and started to chill out. I normally have a sandwich, some lovely proper corned beef and it's very big but the last 2 times i went for the Malburger....now those of you that occasionally snack into a large burger chains 'special sauce' will love this....it was one of the best burgers i've ever had...proper good quality ground beef, not the normal standard Hotel Hamburger fare and they have their own 'special sauce' and it will knock you out, it's so delicious..do try a burger if you like them, you won't be disappointed. There are other lovely options too, lobster, steak, fish for Room Service and some fabulous desserts.You get dressing gowns and slippers, there is an iron and to my mind it's worth trying an upgrade, it would be very romantic.
I didn't go into the Spa this time but last time i went and it had massage chairs and it was a very relaxed and chilled out atmosphere.It's right near Piccadilly Station and near Canal St.
I don't always have breakfast downstairs as the room service is my treat but when i've tried it, it has always been lovely...fresh baked bread, real honey and the full English has always been lovely, not greasy. Staff are lovely and helpful.
I can't wait to go back and if you want to impress your lady book a suite here. I have stayed in regular rooms and executive rooms, all very nice but to me if there is a deal on a suite is just gorgeous. I haven't been able to afford the four poster suite yet or the Man UTD/City suites (one of the staff said the city one is fabulous) but i will save my pennies. It's my birthday coming up so i might see if i can...hope you enjoy this secret hideaway..

Room Tip: Take a corner suite for Luxury and fabulousness
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank actornewbs
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I reserved a Christmas Day lunch in the Smoak restaurant at Malmaison Manchester for four people, including two rooms and breakfast, after seeing the Christmas Day menu offered. The reservations were smoothly and competently handled in advance by the events team. The price offered fabulous value for money, so before I'd even gone, I was delighted! Malmaison in Manchester has an excellent restaurant, which is one of the reasons I chose this venue. I have previously stayed at the hotel a few times and like other Malmaison properties, the rooms are high-quality, individually designed with attention to detail and usually well priced. I usually stay at Malmaison when in Manchester, if I am unable to get a good rate at The Lowry Hotel, my other favourite in town! The hotel is excellently located across the road from Piccadilly station in Manchester city centre with a NCP car park, conveniently located a few strides away. Luckily, on Christmas Day, I was able to park behind the hotel on the street. The atmosphere in the restaurant and bar was festive, pleasant and very friendly. A credit to all the guests! Christmas Day lunch was four courses, all very high quality, as expected and it certainly didn't disappoint. Our party was seated in a lovely booth in the restaurant so it was quite private whilst still festive. The service from reception to waiting staff throughout the hotel was excellent. Bar service was very quick as well. I think the most disappointing aspect of the stay was that the cocktails that I am usually never disappointed by at Mal were not quite up to their usual standard. I wonder if this was because their usual bartenders specializing in cocktails were not working on Christmas Day? Also, being busy celebrating, I didn't get the chance to sort out the bed in my room. The bed had feather pillows. Myself and my partner prefer synthetic, firmer pillows and it was unfortunate that I didn't get the chance to change these, and therefore, we didn't sleep well. Shame! Never mind! After the out of this world breakfast the next day, it was totally forgotten about. The a la carte breakfast menu at Malmaison I think must be one of the best chain hotel breakfast menus in the country, you cannot go wrong with the waffles or full English. The buffet, whilst small, is very high quality with freshly squeezed juices, beautiful pastries, yogurt, fruit and granola and is the icing on the cake!! Having never spent Christmas in a hotel before, I really was surprised how lovely the dedicated staff at the hotel made it. I want to go again!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ian G
England
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Booking.com didn't secure the booking, although I had all of the refernce numbers etc. This is unusual for them, I use them a lot, and maybe the hotel system was at fault.
However, the girl at reception was exceptional and not only confirmed that there was a room at the same reasonable cost but upgraded the room to the executive floor. Well done her.
We ate in the hotel restaurant and it was just OK. I had Cote De Beouf and it was a little stringy ad rather fatty. Nevermind the beer went down well.
The hotel is quite chic with mood lighing and an interesting communal area layout.
Certainly a popular hotel and very handy for Manchester Picadilly train station.

Room Tip: Be careful that your Iphone map doesn't take you to the wrong place. The hotel is literally 2 m...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
manchester
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Stayed here just after new year. Positives: nice modern hotel, good central location, comfortable but small rooms, great power shower. Negatives: mop and bucket abandoned outside room as we arrived, some mold in shower, mirror cracked in bedroom. Overall these didn't spoil things but not really the standard we had anticipated. Reception and dining room need attention with administration as we were requested to pay for dining in the restaurant even though we had not eaten there! We would stay again, but only if we could get a good deal.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stayed at the Malmaison for two nights over christmas. We booked for Christmas lunch in the Smoak Room restaurant. Whilst generally wary of hotel/restaurant meals on a day like that, we were very pleasantly surprised by an excellent four course meal, served by extremely attentive and diligent staff. The additional delight of rooms at £25 per night(amazingly, inclusive of breakfast) made this a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family