“Lovely Hotel”

Ranked #33 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Had to be in Manchester for a course and looked for a reasonable hotel in close proximity of the railway station. I booked a Wine and Dine package for an overnight stay. The room was on the third floor. I was surprised to have a lovely Executive room with large bathroon, along with very nice quality dinner. Will stay again. A lovely experience. The only minor downside was I could not get the Wifi work but this was sorted after a couple of phonecall.

Room Tip: Executive rooms very nice and quiet!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Indonesian first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

We were diverted to Manchester on the train in all the snow last Friday (18th Jan). After a 6 hour train journey and still way from home we decided to abort the Virgin Rail hospitality and, being 10.00pm, check into Malmaison which is 200 meters from Piccadilly station.
The reception procedure was quick and simple and our options and rates were clearly stated. We chose an executive room (newly refurbished) at £120.00. We had no toothbrushes and they were provided FOC.
The restaurant served until 22.45, so we dropped off our gear in the room and headed down for what turned out to be a delicious meal (They major on steaks and the choice is wide).
The room was very comfortable as was the bed - Pillows were a little soft and low for my liking but to be fair, I am fussy and often travel with on of my own!
We checked out at 11.00 and were home for 12.30. No hassle.
I was £230.00 poorer and I doubt if Richard Branson will compensate me but Malmaison didn't disappoint - They're consistently good!

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
toastless
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

I have just checked out of the Malmaison in Manchester. I've stayed there before and never had a problem with anything in the past. I have to admit I was happy with the service I received on check in and the room gave me no cause to complain but unfortunately my night's sleep was disturbed by the phone in the room ringing at 5.07am. I planned to mention this upon check out but I wasn't even asked how my stay was! I think I find the lack of that most important of questions even more annoying than the phone waking me up.

• Stayed January 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013 via mobile

Another great stay at The Manchester Mal, we return again & again (quite a few times a year!) and can't fault the hotel. Great staff, we arrived early - got early check in, drinks in the bar area are relaxing and the bar service is always brilliant! Regardless of the time of day or the day of the week, it always seems busy. Meal was lovely, service during the meal great. Will be back for our next stay very shortly.

• Stayed January 2013
Lancashire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

The hotel itself has a boudoir feel to it, with luxurious soft furnishings and modern dark coloured interior design. The reception staff were very friendly, nothing was too much trouble and they offered services such as checking train times before we'd even asked. The room was not massive, but it had the most comfortable king size bed I've ever slept in. I liked the tongue-in-cheek approach to notices, such as "we dare you" to take the toiletries home! We were on the top floor and the room was extremely quiet.

As for food - we couldn't get a table for dinner on the Saturday night as they were fully booked, but we did book the £20 Sunday brunch which gave us a free late check-out. The food was truly awesome, with a "buffet" that looked and tasted like a top-notch delicatessen counter, live cooking of specific dishes (omelettes, waffles and crepes on this occasion), and cooked-to-order mains and desserts. I suggest you come hungry, take your time to enjoy the quality and quantity of food on offer, and don't plan on having dinner that day!

Room Tip: The top floor was quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

LOCATION
Excellent - 2 minutes from station and Piccadilly Gardens

ROOMS
Smart if starting to show their age after a few years.
My double was a little small but OK for a city centre hotel and the price I paid (£79 room only for a Friday night - good value).
Very comfy bed, warm even in sub-zero temperature, tea and coffee making, security safe.
Nice bathroom with bath as well as shower, and huge bottles of shampoo and body wash which they encourage you to take home. A great touch as these are normally so small.

Free wifi.
Sky sports channels on flatscreen TV although few other channels.

Main criticism is there is way too much marketing in the room - leaflets, pop-up cards and menus everywhere + bottle of wine by the bed, snacks by the TV. I find this really intrusive and the Malmaison is the worst offender I've seen.

SERVICE
I had little to do with the staff but they were pleasant and quick enough.
I didn't take breakfast here as so many coffee shops and cafes nearby.
The bar and breakfast room looked pleasant and large enough.

Public areas have that dark/velvet look that is quite soothing but does have a slight strip club ambience.

FACILITIES
There is a gym I've used before - very small but looks out on the canal which is unusual!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

The Malmaison restaurant is a modern, sleek, interesting place with a good selection on the wine list, the bar is pleasant and the restaurant offers a wide range of food with a twist. Not the best the restaurant in Manchester but certainly worth a visit. The hotel is centrally located for city.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple