“Average, better places in Manchester”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #35 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Average, better places in Manchester”
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I stayed here last week when was visiting Manchester for work. I come here a lot but haven't stayed at the Mal for years. On arrival the frontdesk had no record of my business booking despite my company having emailed and paid for the room. So I had to give them my credit card.
Once in my tiny and odd-shaped room I was disappointed to find it was very dusty and a large cobweb in the bathroom. I was so tired and it was late I just fell into bed. The next morning as I made a cup of tea I found the spoon covered in a thick fur of dust. I'd requested a late check-out til 2pm and added the 'Do not disturb' to my door as was doing some work on my laptop. From 12-1pm I had THREE knocks at the door from staff asking me when I was leaving. I also had no room service menu to order breakfast or lunch from (so didn't bother!)
Overall I find this hotel dated and not in keeping with the rest of the Malmaison/Hotel Du Vin chain. I was disappointed with this visit and despite being told my the front desk that they would upgrade me on my next visit I won't be returning.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room. I could here music/laughter so think I was above the bar!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JenniferLynne1984

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Indonesian first
Wales
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed for one night as a quick get away from the kids. Lovely room, very clean, great staff on both reception and behind the bar. Breakfast is well worth having. Despite overlooking the main road, the room was so quiet and also had black out curtains which meant we got a good night's sleep. Go on...treat yourself

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Newcastle
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Stayed one night as going to see Cirque Du Soliel. Lovely room very quiet, clean and nicely decorated. The decor on the whole is quite dark but that suits the style of this hotel chain.
Great atmosphere and cocktails in the bar before we left for the venue and when we returned.
Would definately saty here again.

Room Tip: we were in a room at the side of the hotel and although it overlooked a pub it was really quiet
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

The rooms are clean and quiet although we didn't stay on the front of the hotel. They are average hotel rooms.

Receptionist was alright, barman was excellent, breakfast was a bit of mix up which took a whilebtonaort out.

Location was in easy walking distance of centre.

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I am staying here right now!!!!
I love the hotel but the bar was very disappointing tonight!
Even when the bar staff knew I was a resident they still persisted in presenting me with a bill when I ordered each drink - very uncomfortable!

I will come back but if the service is so poor, I will look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2013
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed here with my friend last Saturday, it is a 5 minute stroll from Piccadilly station, excellent location.

The room was amazing, comfy beds, lots of room, tea and coffee, bottled water, funky bathroom with lots of shampoo etc, not your normal tiny bottles !

We had a spa treatment each which was great, the massage chairs were highly addictive, we didn't use the gym or other facilities though.

We had lunch at the hotel, which was quite pricey, the wine was good but very expensive.

Taxi rank right outside the hotel which was handy as it was raining when we went for our night out.

Breakfast was really good, we had the full English, plenty of tea and coffee,

Check in and check out very easy and smooth.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 333, not the best view but quiet and easy to remember after a night out lol
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Just come back from a short stay at Malmaison and it wasn't bad but it wasn't brilliant either.

Arriving at Piccadilly Station, turn right and the hotel's only about 5 minutes walk away. The staff on reception were naturally very welcoming so it was a good start. As we'd arrived early, our rooms weren't ready so we settled down for a few cocktails at the bar by the entrance to the hotel. The reception started to get quite busy and we noticed a hen party take up the majority of the space. How did we know it was a hen party? Well, because the bride-to-be was holding a large pink inflatable, five feet, urm, part of the male anatomy. Now we found this quite amusing but quite honestly, it wasn't really quite the thing to appear in the reception of a supposedly smart hotel - it was also lucky there were no kids around. We were surprised that no-one asked them to be a bit more discrete but hey ho, just a minor gripe!

Our rooms were pretty good though.

Bathroom - large, clean, black and white, big mirror,(yes, it was kitted out for a disabled guest (one small handrail by the toilet) but quite honestly, I'm surprised by a earlier reviewer complaining about this. We thought the bathroom was nicely designed and certainly wasn't pokey or 'unromantic'. It also had a good strong shower, conditioner, plenty of good quality towels, shower gel, soap, cotton buds, cotton wool pads, body lotion, shower cap - all good quality. However, there was no make-up mirror, the room was badly lit and, for some reason, the bath controls were outside of the bath (behind the shower screen) which meant you had to get out of the bath to add more hot water. Not ideal.

Bedroom - large, comfortable, firm bed. Tea/coffee-making facilities. Large TV, ipod speaker, dressing table, hairdresser. All well-equipped and good quality. Again, though, the room was very dark and if you wanted to use the side lights for reading, it was impossible to see a thing. We also got a complimentary newspaper (The Independent)

Insulation - despite the presence of a couple of hen parties (and what looked like a stag party!) we didn't hear a thing all night and were really impressed by the sound insulation.

Breakfast - absolutely brilliant and that's no exaggeration. The staff were wonderful - very friendly and very efficient, natural smiles and no sycophancy - just naturally friendly. Breakfast is cooked to order and for an hotel to do that nowadays is pretty rare. A full English consisted of eggs of your choice, sausage, good quality bacon, black pudding, tomatoes, mushrooms. Prior to this you can help yourself to fruit juice (orange or pink grapefruit), granola, fruit, creamy muesli, cereals, pastries, bread. We were very impressed with the quality.

Communal areas - bars and reception. I guess some people would call them trendy but quite frankly, we didn't feel that this was the case. Although the furnishings were in good condition, the general decor looked very 1990's and dark, dark, dark. I reckon it's time that Malmaison reinvented itself a bit - time to open the windows and let some light in!

Staff - absolutely brilliant, without exception. All very charming, very informative, very friendly and very welcoming. Couldn't fault any of them - waiting staff, reception, housekeeping.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends