“Great location and plush rooms”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #32 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Great location and plush rooms”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This hotel is in a great location, right in the centre of Manchester close to the main train station and all of the key attractions. We booked an executive room, although I was left wondering what the difference was to the standard bedrooms. The rooms are all well appointed and very comfortable with little touches including toiletries.

It was the restaurant that let the hotel down, the evening meal was served cold and two dishes had to be sent back to be re-heated / made again. At breakfast, part way through we all stood up to get some more food and came back and they had cleared the table. We had to ask for all of the food again. The food at both dinner and breakfast (when the right temperature) was lovely and in all honesty I would eat there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

from the moment we arrived the receptionists were fantastic! Really nice people! Room was very good, little small for an executive but it felt really nice. Thought the bed was a little too firm however slept right through to 11am which I never do so it could not have been that bad!
Did not eat evening meal or breakfast there so I cannot comment.
Bit confused by the bar and how you get served when it's busy but eventually got the hang of it. One of the bar staff lady with dark hair was a little rude to one of the guests and forgot to list our first round of drinks but this was the only negative. The guys behind the bar and the blonde lady were fantastic!
I did not want to leave and could easily have stayed!
The late check out is a great idea....

Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Really impressed the minute I walked in with the decor and the ambience. Was dealt with at reception promptly and the room was great, not too big, spotlessly clean, luxuriously furnished too. The shower was amazing and I was impressed with the wifi, iPod docking station and the tv. As was my partner!!! Breakfast was a great selection and we both left with full tummies. Good value as well. Since staying here we have stayed at another Malmaison and again the standard was just as good.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

I like Malmaison. I've stayed a few times now and always find my stay enjoyable. My only thought is the dark neo-gothic style can be a bit overbearing and on occasion I have opted to go somewhere lighter, more airy when I go to Manchester. Good location too 3-5 mins walk from the station and the rest on Manchester at your feet.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I have stayed here frequently in the past. I choose it because its close to Piccadilly station. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the food in the restaurant is tasty and the other guests are often a treat for people watchers. When I arrived I wanted to order room service but my phone wasn't working. I went down to reception to report this and then decided to eat in the restaurant instead, which turned out to be a good idea. I did have a problem with my room (which had huge windows) being directly opposite a huge flashing neon billboard which was on all night. There were black-out curtains but they couldn't block it completely. Rooms at the back don't have this problem. My only real complaint about this hotel is that the lighting at reception is so low that you can't read any of the documents you get when checking in or checking out. Bring a torch to get you over that awkward moment.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

my wife and I attended a business function overnight and were guested by our hosts at this venue
The service was terrific with very helpful attentive and cheerful staff .
We very much enjoyed the room and the furnishings and décor.
Breakfast was good and well served

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 7 October 2013

First of all, the reason I gave this place a 1 is the fact that they left a dirty towel hanging on the bathroom door. That's not a nice "welcome to your executive room". I have proper OCD about cleanliness and just think that's disgusting. I could have thought it was clean and accidently used it. You can catch all sorts from dirty towels :P!!

To be honest the whole room was below average on the cleanliness front. The bed sheets were discoloured and the room was dusty with various stains. It was just really tacky and not luxurious as expected from the brand. The room was also tiny. I had upgraded the room for extra space so I dread to think how small the standard rooms are.

The only real plus point is the location, it's right next to the train station and everything seemed to be in walking distance. The restaurant was pretty good too.

Overall, I won't be staying here again. I think that the most important thing in a hotel is cleanliness and if that's not up to scratch then it's just not good enough.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends