“Short walk from Picadilly, lounge bar atmosphere”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #33 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Calgary, Canada
“Short walk from Picadilly, lounge bar atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I booked this trip as part of a Thomas Cook football package because it was close to the Manchester Picadilly train station. It was a very short walk, I'd say two minutes from when we first exit, easily identfiable by the big restaurant sign of The Smoak. Once we got in there, it was dark and loud, a lounge atmosphere, something I haven't been very accustomed to for a long time. It didn't bother me too much, except for the fact that I looked like a college backpacker and everyone else in the restaurant was dressed up for a Saturday evening out. I checked in and got my room on the 2nd floor.

Our room was well equipped, spacious and clean. Lovely rainshower and full size bathtub. A decent sized flat screen tv, refreshments of tea bags, coffee bags, hot chocolate and a tea kettle. A minibar stashed with alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks was also available.

Breakfast was included as part of our package. It was quite decent with an breakfast entree of hot food, drinks including both juice, tea, coffee and unlimited access to the continental breakfast bar of croissants, pastries, and cereals.

For shopping, it is a 10 minute stroll to Arndale shopping centre.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as a base for a company jolly. Everything was clean and tidy and the ambience as good as I remember from 10 years ago when my wife and I spent our honeymoon in Malmaison Edinburgh. Staff very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed my stay. Don't hesitate in booking this hotel for business, pleasure, or leisure.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Cumbria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Having stayed in the Mal chain in previous locations, I felt the Manchester hotel would be a perfect way to celebrate an anniversary with my partner. Unfortunately this venue didn't live up to my expectations.

To start with the positives, the room was spacious, extremely quiet (even with it facing the front of the hotel) and the shower was heavenly. The reception area and bar seating area was really nice, welcoming and the same dark and moody atmosphere that gives Mal it's signature look. The location is great. It's literally a 5 minute walk from Piccadilly Station and not even a 10 minute walk into the town centre.

To point out the negatives, for me, I could only describe the room as shabby. The walls were severely marked, the furniture was severely scuffed, the bedding - although it was clean - had a very strange smell to it and the bed was clearly broken with a huge dip in the middle of it. The room itself was dusty and felt like it hadn't been used for some time, even though I know this is a popular hotel and I was told upon check in it was fully booked. Normally, small things like this wouldn't bother me as much however the Mal chain isn't cheap. They portray their image as luxury boutique but I wouldn't have described our allocated room as that.

We did eat in the restaurant which was again, very average. I have no qualms about paying for top class food and drink but unfortunately, the food was not great and the bill was very heavy. The tempura fish then pasta that i chose was very tasteless and boring. Perhaps I wouldn't have made the same conclusion if I had chose something different on the menu but I was really disappointed. Same with the wine, for £11 a glass, I would expect something really impressive but I've honestly tasted better from Tesco.

All in all, I wouldn't exclude a different Mal hotel in the future but I would look for an alternative place to stay when revisiting Manchester if I was looking at this kind of price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank regina214Cumbria
Harleston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

5 of us paid a visit on a Thursday evening and have to say was very busy. We had to book and advise anyone to do the same.
We had a 3 course meal each,bottle of wine and a few other drinks and it came to £250. I thought it was OK to what we had. Overall everything was OK, only downside was we had to send back the potatoes as they were not cooked properly.
Device was good.
The gents toilets were not of the same standard, they smelt of urine as they do not use fresheners in the buckets.
Don't pee and have a good time :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Overall the hotel is excellent however as with all experiences it is unfortunately the worst aspects that often stay in the memory after the event. Even a few weeks later the image of about 8 members of staff all moving around the bar area whilst achieving absolutely nothing and serving no one remains the image of service at this hotel. It's true to say that never has so little been achieved by so many serving so few. After twenty minutes of having any eye contact avoided even though we were sat at the bar we left for the evening foregoing our restaurant booking and ate elsewhere - by all means stay in the hotel - even eat in the restaurant ( I've eaten there before the food is excellent) just don't expect to get a drink at the bar!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AndasC
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

My boyfriend booked us a night here as a surprise and WOW! Having stayed in many lovely hotels, this one far exceeded anywhere we've ever stayed, and I don't say that lightly. We stayed in the Moulin Rouge Suite! It was pure luxury! There was a deep plunge bath in the lounge (the lounge!!!!) We were able to watch TV whilst sat in the bath. The bed was a 4 poster and it felt like I was sleeping in a cloud. SO comfy! Bose surround sound system throughout the suite threw out some great sound! Massive Tv in the lounge area with several stools and sofas to sit on. Bathroom was lovely and the monsoon shower was great. The location is great, straight across from Piccadilly train station, although we drove and parked at an NCP which is a stones throw away. All in all, a perfect stay! Will definitely be returning!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Haslemere, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Nice hotel. I had a room near the lifts, and was concerned I would hear them, but that wasnt the case. Strangely my room was designed for a wheelchair, so very low sink!

Nice room, although I never managed to get it warm despite setting the thermostat controller to 28! Food in the restaurant was ok, if a little expensive.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business