“Wish i had looked into other Malmaison hotels while I was traveling.”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #39 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Just stayed one night, but had great set up by Natasha. When we arrived late after a concert (November 17), Luke and Johnny took great care of us at the bar and gave us tips for late night food.
Highly recommend.
Nice rooms, good shower, good room service. Great breakfast!
Best hotel of a full week in the UK!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,653)

Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Returned to the Malmaison after over 5yrs and have to say the service and quality of hotel remains as I remember.

Rooms are spacious but could do with a bit of a touch up and dusting..

All in all a pleasant stay and a great breakfast!

Didn't try the steakhouse this time round but will on my next visit, the 30 day hung meat looked amazing!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Great location for shops and Main railway station. We arrived for a night last Saturday. Staff were friendly and we were able to store our luggage until our room was ready. I was really disappointed with the room. We were given the disabled facilities and although a large room I would rather have had a bath and a proper shower. The bed was large and comfortable. We had problems with the room temperature and this resulted in the room being far too hot. We did ask for someone to look at this and were told it would be controlled by maintenance. The bathroom was very dark as some lights were out and we are still waiting for those to be fixed! I have stayed in Malmaison Hotels before and Manchester is in need of a major refurb. The furniture was chipped and the carpets downstairs to to the toilets were threadbare. I think for £129 without breakfast its not cheap. I wouldnt stay there again as there are newer cheaper hotels with better tripadvisor reviews nearby. Rather disappointed!

Room Tip: If you dont want a disabled room state that
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I booked this trip as part of a Thomas Cook football package because it was close to the Manchester Picadilly train station. It was a very short walk, I'd say two minutes from when we first exit, easily identfiable by the big restaurant sign of The Smoak. Once we got in there, it was dark and loud, a lounge atmosphere, something I haven't been very accustomed to for a long time. It didn't bother me too much, except for the fact that I looked like a college backpacker and everyone else in the restaurant was dressed up for a Saturday evening out. I checked in and got my room on the 2nd floor.

Our room was well equipped, spacious and clean. Lovely rainshower and full size bathtub. A decent sized flat screen tv, refreshments of tea bags, coffee bags, hot chocolate and a tea kettle. A minibar stashed with alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks was also available.

Breakfast was included as part of our package. It was quite decent with an breakfast entree of hot food, drinks including both juice, tea, coffee and unlimited access to the continental breakfast bar of croissants, pastries, and cereals.

For shopping, it is a 10 minute stroll to Arndale shopping centre.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as a base for a company jolly. Everything was clean and tidy and the ambience as good as I remember from 10 years ago when my wife and I spent our honeymoon in Malmaison Edinburgh. Staff very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed my stay. Don't hesitate in booking this hotel for business, pleasure, or leisure.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Having stayed in the Mal chain in previous locations, I felt the Manchester hotel would be a perfect way to celebrate an anniversary with my partner. Unfortunately this venue didn't live up to my expectations.

To start with the positives, the room was spacious, extremely quiet (even with it facing the front of the hotel) and the shower was heavenly. The reception area and bar seating area was really nice, welcoming and the same dark and moody atmosphere that gives Mal it's signature look. The location is great. It's literally a 5 minute walk from Piccadilly Station and not even a 10 minute walk into the town centre.

To point out the negatives, for me, I could only describe the room as shabby. The walls were severely marked, the furniture was severely scuffed, the bedding - although it was clean - had a very strange smell to it and the bed was clearly broken with a huge dip in the middle of it. The room itself was dusty and felt like it hadn't been used for some time, even though I know this is a popular hotel and I was told upon check in it was fully booked. Normally, small things like this wouldn't bother me as much however the Mal chain isn't cheap. They portray their image as luxury boutique but I wouldn't have described our allocated room as that.

We did eat in the restaurant which was again, very average. I have no qualms about paying for top class food and drink but unfortunately, the food was not great and the bill was very heavy. The tempura fish then pasta that i chose was very tasteless and boring. Perhaps I wouldn't have made the same conclusion if I had chose something different on the menu but I was really disappointed. Same with the wine, for £11 a glass, I would expect something really impressive but I've honestly tasted better from Tesco.

All in all, I wouldn't exclude a different Mal hotel in the future but I would look for an alternative place to stay when revisiting Manchester if I was looking at this kind of price.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank regina214Cumbria
Reviewed 15 November 2013

5 of us paid a visit on a Thursday evening and have to say was very busy. We had to book and advise anyone to do the same.
We had a 3 course meal each,bottle of wine and a few other drinks and it came to £250. I thought it was OK to what we had. Overall everything was OK, only downside was we had to send back the potatoes as they were not cooked properly.
Device was good.
The gents toilets were not of the same standard, they smelt of urine as they do not use fresheners in the buckets.
Don't pee and have a good time :-)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends