“Tacky bachelor pad!!”

Ranked #33 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Tacky bachelor pad!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

My husband and I decided to do a long day christmas shopping and stay at a nice hotel. We like a bit of luxury so thought this would be along the right lines. WRONG!

It is so tacky! The main bar is in reception so you can't hear a word if checking in and can't ask any questions either. 2 people outside stood on stilts was random!

We booked the true blue suite. What a con, it has an old mcfc book, and 4 pictures relating to city on the wall. The room is dark and resembled a bachelor pad. Furthermore the soap, shampoo, and all other toiletries have slogans on them relating to sex. It's so tacky.

Also, only a continental breakfast option available on room service. And tea&coffee you make yourself - no fresh coffee available. Hardly luxury!

This hotel isn't awful but it is far from great! I wouldn't return.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Indonesian first
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for work, many things were fine - breakfast always good, staff generally lovely, room spec is reasonably high. So what went wrong to earn only average review? Firstly room smelled - very strongly of damp and their attempt to 'fix' it did little. I could have pressed for another room but I was out a fair bit and didn't want to make a fuss. However discovered my clothing had picked up the smell when I got back home! Ended up washing both clean and dirty clothes plus jacket! Second thing was strange anomaly on bill: someone else's room service charge, dated two days before I had even arrived! Anyways, I pointed this out but still took some considerable effort to get a refund - had to explain it to supervisor when receptionist was unable to sort it and initially refused to believe it. Overall it's still a nice place but could do with some refreshment. Brassiere good. Oh yes and third black mark - at least in my book, poor pillows. No neck support. Shame when beds are so comfortable. Bring your own? Probably deserves more than average but not quite 4 stars this time.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed here to do some Christmas shopping and wanted a handy location. I have never stayed in a Malmaison property before and was very impressed.

The location of this particular hotel was great ... two minute walk from the train station and a 5 minute walk to the main shopping area.

We found the room to be spacious and very clean and liked the large bathroom. The only downside was applying my make-up as there were plenty of mirrors but the lighting was a little dark.

We did have a couple of drinks in the bar both during the day and then in the evening ... on both occasions there was a great atmosphere and the seating was very comfy and relaxing.

Breakfast was also great with plenty of choices for your hot option.

I have recently stayed at another hotel in the city centre in the last month but found this to be in the best location for commuting and for the shops so would pick this hotel again when returning to Manchester.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Leek, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

Previously I had stayed at the Birmingham Malmaison and found it to be an excellent hotel.Sadly the Manchester one is not in the same league.The reception area is dark and unwelcoming, the staff just appear to be going through the motions.Its December and the only festive clue was a very small mince pie on reception.Meeting rooms ok, bedrooms look tired and in need of a make over.
A positive ,the hotel is located close to Manchester Piccadily Station

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the girlfriends birthday and to visit the christmas markets. The hotels in a good location with an NCP car park located behind the hotel and taxi ranks directly outside. The reception staff will swipe your ticket so you get some discount on the parking. The room was comfy, clean and spacious and in typical Malmaison style. The restaurant was Fantastic. We both had a steak dinner and we were tempted to book and go the following night but too much picking at the markets left us full. Definitely would stay again if ever in Manchester.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
rossendale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed here for 1 night in April. Loved the decor of this hotel, really lovely friendly staff on reception. I had the Sunday brunch too - really tasty definitely recommend! My room was gorgeous - big comfy bed, really simple yet stylish furnishings. The "take me" products in the bathroom were a really nice touch. I will definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Coventry, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We booked into Malmaison for part my partners 40th birthday present, following a trip to the Rugby World Cup. I was incredibly disappointed in the level of cleanliness of the room, the walls in the bathroom clearly had spit marks where previous occupants had brushed their teeth, the mirrors were filthy, exacerbated by the lights that were on them. As we were only staying for a night we didn't bother to complain at that point. We went out for dinner as we were advised the restaurant was fully booked, and had a great meal and excellent customer service that put the Mal's staff to shame.

The next morning we went down for breakfast and were seated in the restaurant, our coffee and toast order was taken and we were advised someone would be back to take our breakfast order. 20- 25 minutes passed and we received no coffee, toast or anyone to take our order, so after having seen the third couple who came in after us receive their coffee etc, I went to complain. The staff were vaguely apologetic and took the order again, so I returned to the table to wait another 5 minutes for coffee. When our breakfast order arrived the chap virtually threw it on the table and muttered whether we wanted any sauces. My partner and I were appalled to be treated this way.

We then went to check out and the chap on the reception advised there would be a supplement to pay for the hot breakfast, at which point I laughed and asked if he was joking following the standard of service we had received.

The hotel stay wrecked what should have been a fantastic celebratory weekend, and I will ensure that I advise people to avoid Malmaison stay's in future so that they are not disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013