Malmaison Manchester
US$181
US$160
  • Restaurant
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$82
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$98
The Midland(Manchester)
US$171
US$127
2,709 results
All reviewscorner suitepiccadilly stationmini barbuilding worksuperior roomcooked breakfastan upgradebirthday treatreception staffcity centrecomfy bedhotel barlovely roomsaturday nightnorthern quarterstayed for one nightcanal street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here with a friend as part of a spa package with the room, 30 minute spa treatment, evening meal and a cocktail. The hotel is very modern and stylish. The treatment was good, and both of us were treated in the same room which was nice. However, the evening meal was disappointing; for the money it was very small portions, and with the main meal you had to pay for an extra of sides as it did not come with anything other than the chicken in some gravy. The atmosphere is nice however the people who occupy the hotel all seem very stuck up and this makes for an uninviting bar/restaurant area.
The main issue with my stay was the payment of the room; when I booked the hotel, I paid upfront over the telephone before my arrival, and was told that the payment would go through when I checked out. However, when I got home, the hotel had taken the full amount out and had also froze or held, the same amount that I could not access for 7 working days after checkout. So in effect, almost £500 had been taken out of my account, and i did not get the other half back for a while. I think it is safe to say that I was shocked that a hotel could not only take the full amount of a stay out of your account but also hold the same amount, when at reception the lady told me that they would only be holding £20 in case of use of the mini bar etc.
On this bad ending, I would not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stretz
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed in an executive room, £180 for one nights stay room only, on a Saturday night. Room was pretty standard, if you are booking this room I wouldn't pay the extra. All staff very helpful but just the room was a let down. A lot of money for what was offered.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013

It's not the best value place to stay in Manchester but definitely one of the most stylish with a nice laid-back vibe and well designed rooms. Good location as well if you want to explore the town centre.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Stayed in this hotel last year and had a fairly good experience…not this time. The lobby looks like its been through over a hundred rave parties and staff that hasn't had sleep for a week!. They have attitude and no experience. I asked for a plug adaptors for conversion to U.S. The chap simply said that they didn't have any, how can an International hotel not have adaptors???. Room was average and not cleaned properly. No room service for breakfast on a sunday!!…ridiculous. Never coming back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I travel around the UK alot and stay in hotels about 70/90 nights per year and have been doing so for about 5+ years. I have never been one to get into writing reviews as I thought they would fall in deaf ears anyway but the last 6 months has driven me to distraction and whllst my gripes for the Malmaison may appear trivial, for a seasoned traveller who is happy to pay for supposed better accommodation, the cacophony of irritable problems has become overwhelming - for me anyway.
So, I stay in Manchester about 25/30 nights every year and have used several hotels. I had used the Malmaison when I started visiting Manchester about 5 years ago, but stopped going there early on because at the time, it was more than I could afford. So 5 years on, and financially a bit more able, I decide to book one of their Junior Suites for 2 nights on the 26/27th December 2013. The room - generally rather grubby with the sofa in the 'living area' stained and marked to the point that it was clearly the victim of years of tantric sex and major food fights. I pulled back one of the parts of the sofa to reveal that the flooring it covered had clearly not seen the benefit of a vacuum cleaner for months. What looked like the entire contents of a wrapper collection from all the local fast food establishments were fighting for position.
The Bathroom - a sink that was unable to drain away. I turned the tap on and the water level rose alarmingly to reveal cigarette butts and a variety of other unmentionables. So when they last cleaned the basin, did they achieve the immaculate conception in cleaning without having to actually drain away the water? I rang down at around 8pm to state that the sink was clearly blocked - when out for dinner - came back at 11.30pm - and it was still blocked. Came down for breakfast at around 9.30am, mentioned again to the front desk that it was still blocked - returned to the room at 10.30am and - it was still displaying all the atributes of a waste disposal reversal catastrophy. I explained that I just wanted to have a shave and clean my teeth to which they replied that someone would check it 'soon'. No offer of being able to use another alternative 'sink' in a hotel that was clearly 3 quarters empty. So I walked next door to the Doubletree Hilton and they kindly offered me the use of a sink - that worked - free of charge!
Breakfast - 1st morning OK, albeit that three different servers asked me for my room number in the space of 1 minute (yes- I had paid the £2 upgarde for the hot breakfast!). 2nd morning, tried the Egg Muffin - or perhaps they should call it the 'chicken' muffin - as the egg was still about 50% translucent. Could almost hear the clucking. Then the toast arrived. It appears that the Malmaison are so determined to keep hold of their 3 Star status that the provision of the cheapest 'supermarket' sliced bread is clearly essential. You know - its the kind of bread that once toasted, would be at the top of the waiting list for treatment for erectile disfunction! Acceptable in a Travel Lodge or similar but in a hotel such as this, a clear testament to 'we cant be bothered' & 'if we can get away with it, give 'em the cheapest crap we can provide'.
Air Con & Heating - when I turned it on, I had to increase the volume of the TV by about 50% just to be able to hear it.
At the check out, because of all the problems I encountered, they kindly offered me an 'upgrade' the next time I stayed. So that would be an upgrade from a 'suite' to what.............a larger suite?? With so many problems, why on earth would I want to stay there again and give them more of my money? Apparently, it is policy.
I am sure there is much good at this hotel - the Smoak Bar looks great and the food at lunchtimes and the evening is well talked of. But me thinks they are dedicated to its lacklustre and faded current persona, which is well below other Malmaison hotels I have stayed at. My moans are mostly about the 'detail' and most would not consider their enjoyment to have been ruined by these smaller issues, but trust me, when you stay in hotels as much as I do, it is all about the detail and the little problems are in fact really huge!

Room Tip: choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business