“A letter of compliant remains unanswered”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #33 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“A letter of compliant remains unanswered”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

The letter that was ignored:

Afternoon. We stayed in Manchester on 1st Feb to celebrate our wedding and my birthday. When we checked in the receptionist gave us a warm welcome and gave us 2 vouchers for cocktails. A kind and thoughtful gift. He advised our room was not ready but if we took a seat he would call us as soon as it was ready. After 2 hours I went to reception, having stood in a queue for another 10 minutes the receptionist informed me the room was ready. I asked why no one had called us and her response was that it was very busy, no apology or empathy. The suite we had had booked was lovely. This was until we sat down to watch the rugby and noticed numerous white stains on the couch that looked very suspicious (i hav photo's should you ant to see them). We were not prepared to sit on the couch as we were not sure of the origins of the stains. We checked out after breakfast and my wife had asked me not to raise the issues as described above. Having worked in a hotel for many years she always feels sorry for the receptionist who is on the receiving end of the complaints. Late last night she realised that she had left her Blackberry Playbook in the room with the Anniversary and Birthday Cards. She rang early this morning only to be told she must speak to housekeeping, they transferred the call but there was no one in. After a few more calls she got through to housekeeping who advised nothing had been left in the room. The Playbook is in a black cover and was missed by us probably due to the furniture and surrounds being black. Leaving it and the cards there is our fault HOWEVER the fact that they have not been handed in is a major concern. We have travelled all over the world an in my job I stay in hotels at least twice a week. Never before have items I have left behind not been handed in and only last week a Premier Inn rang me to inform me that I had left my razor and shampoo in the bathroom. These issues have spoilt what was supposed to be a relaxing enjoyable stay in Manchester. John

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

Great hotel with typical Malmaison / hotel du vin style - two minutes from Piccadily station - friendly staff - comfortable room - terrific bathroom - with bath and waterfall shower.

If you want a comfortable hotel with character stay here.

A few faults - poor lighting in bedroom, poor lighting for shaving in the bathroom and no lighting in the lift.

All in - brilliant

Room Tip: Go down to Piccadily Gardens - and go on the wheel - it was windy last weekend - but we had a good l...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Malmaison used to bid a particularly warm welcome to dog and their owners. No longer. I used to use them regularly as my dog travels with me when on business in the UK. Booked the Manchester hotel yesterday and received a polite call from the hotel today advising doggies no longer welcome. Well, that's a shame. My expense account will no go to Novotel and where possible, Chapter hotels when in Exeter and Cheltenham, who particularly make dogs (and humans) exceptionally welcome

Stayed January 2014
5 Thank Cubpaws
Tunbridge Wells, Kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed at Malmaison on 26th Jan for 1 night. The staff on reception were so welcoming and made my stay 100% enjoyable. The hotel itself has a very cool bar and restaurant. If you want a very stylish hotel with a relaxed feel, please stay here, you will not be disappointed.
Cheap parking tip - Park in the Euro Car Park near Canal Street, £3 for 24 hrs on Sunday.

Room Tip: Ask for room 532, lovely room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed at malmaison for a long weekend with my partner. Lovely room, pleasant staff. But the spa was amazing. Lyndsey who did my facial and massage was amazing. Very polite and knew her stuff . My only critique was how expensive the bar 'was.£10 a drink was slight ridiculous . Overall one of my favourite places to stay

• Stayed January 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

On arrival the staff were very helpful and courteous. We booked in very quickly. The atmosphere is typical of a boutique hotel. It is at the high end price wise but most Malmaisons are. The food was very good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

As hotels go it's not bad, though nightly rates can are it is pricey for what it is. I.e there is better value for Manchester. I suppose what you get with the malmaison in Manchester is the full package - good location, really nice rooms and an excellent restaurant. Feels boutique as opposed to corporate e.g. Doubletree located around the corner.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business