“Above and beyond!!”

Ranked #36 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Above and beyond!!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I recently stayed at this Hotel for a night to celebrate an anniversary with my partner and we were treated very well indeed by everyone from the reception to the bar to the restaurant in every aspect of our stay.
We were given an upgrade as soon as we checked in and were aslo given a voucher for 2 free cocktails for the bar. The service in the restaurant was excellent and to round off our meal, we were presented with a free glass of champagne each.
Everyone checked to see if we had enjoyed our meal and in the morning, asked if we had enjoyed our stay.
We did have a slight problem when a bottle of wine, bought and payed for by my partners daughter, did not arrive with our evening meal but this was rectified in the morning with a full refund to her card and to attone fore this, we were presented with a complimentary bottle of champagne on checking out!!
Can't fault anyone at the Hotel and will be back again!!

Phill Mellor.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Guildford Surrey
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We stayed one night when visiting our son who is at University. It is a reasonably priced hotel in a very convenient central location. The hotel staff we had dealings with were all, without exception, friendly, helpful and welcoming.

The room was a little tired - there were some very nasty looking stains on the carpets and the soft furnishings (even the upholstered chair in the room!) Carpets may be difficult to change but for goodness sake replace the cushions.... God knows what was on them!

Our room was at the back of the hotel and the noise was incredible - thank god we were on the third floor or it would have been even worse. The double glazing did not seem to help.

We did not eat at the hotel but we did use the bar. It is obviously a popular location in Manchester and it was quite difficult to get a seat - which was a shame.

When we checked in reception made a big point of the fact that we would get a free newspaper in the morning - but we didn't!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Good Day

As General Manager, your feedback is very important to me. Should you wish to call me at the hotel, I would be keen to discuss your visit further.
Thank You.

Regards
Jacqui Griffiths
Wimbledon
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights to celebrate my sisters birthday - 3 mins walk from the Station if that and then given a voucher for 2 free cocktails at the comfy bar - what a great start!! the staff our friendly and helpful and the hotel is a good standard with a lovely spa for treatments. The hotel is always busy with a great atmosphere so if you want a quiet time this place is not for you....Breakfast is a little on the expensive side but then there are cafes near by. I would definitely come back here!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Leeds & Germany
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Returned to the Mal in Manchester after a long absence, though have been a regular user of some of the other properties in the chain for ages. If you know Malmaisons you know what to expect: dark, red and purple, plush and velvety, nice bathrooms and toiletries, firm beds and (sometimes slightly risqué) puns everywhere from the loo and the shower to the key cards and the DND signs for the doors. This time it was no different.

I arrived early and was able to check in and occupy my room early, which was good.
Room (305) was fine but was very noisy as it looked onto Piccadilly and was inadequately glazed so you could hear every sound and syllable from the street three floors below – sirens, a lot of serious industrial Anglo-Saxon language, a few thrown punches, glasses smashing, girls screeching, blues and twos (sirens), you name it….

We tried to get a change but the hotel was full (ManU were at home) so the hotel kindly adjusted the rate for the first night and offered to find me a quieter room for the second but in the end I didn’t bother moving as I was out the second night. The charge for my late check-out on the Sunday (+ 4 hours) took my room rate for the weekend back up to the one I’d originally been quoted. But what was annoying was that, despite having agreed this in advance, I was still bothered twice on Sunday afternoon by housekeeping / ‘minibar police’ and a staff member from front of house, who had ok’d the late checkout in the first place (“But it wasn’t in the system”).

Indeed there seems to be a rather slack attitude to charging at Mal in Manchester as I was twice delivered extra newspapers I hadn’t ordered (but wasn’t charged for) and the few quid of incidental minibar purchases were also waived.

Restaurant was ok but really nothing to write home about: service was pretty slack: orders were forgotten, and/or took an age to arrive, drinks service was really slow and my steak stroganoff was almost cold and nothing special at all. For the price I was disappointed.
Breakfast was fine and was much more efficient than I’d expected, given how busy they said they were: perhaps we picked a good 30-minute slot. Although that notwithstanding, one of the few ‘home-grown’ staff members on duty that weekend was seriously lackadaisical!
We would order tea and toast; 15 mins later said staff member would wander past with a tray, take it to another table, speak and be greeted with a shake of the head; he would then wander past us and I’d stop him and say that I thought the contents of his tray were for us; he’d shake his head and return to the kitchen and then re-emerge five minutes later, with an awkward sheepish shrug, carrying the same tray! This happened two or three times in two days. By contrast the Spanish-sounding lady (wearing a jacket and tie) ‘ticked like a clock’ as they say – well done to her.

My omelette was great; my fellow breakfaster loved her poached eggs; toast was seriously underdone both mornings (more like warm bread).

Drinks are dear for small measures and they are greedy enough to levy a 10% service charge AND leave bills open for gratuities, which is a bit of a liberty!

And I don’t think it looked like a bordello; nor did we have any nude pictures in our corridor, I’m sorry to say.

Would return but would insist on a quieter room next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the front of the building unless you are deaf or take earplugs
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank theoriginalsid
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

On my first visit to this hotel last June, I was disappointed with my stay. I had the opportunity to return back to the hotel in March and I have to say that our stay was perfect. Bedroom was beautiful and breakfast was lovely. My faith in malmaison hotels has been restored. Thank you very much for the exceptional service that I received from the manager Jacqui Griffiths. We will be back soon .

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Wanting to visit my eldest daughter and have a Mother's Day break we headed to this hotel along with our youngest daughter who is 10. Normally we stay at the Marriot hotel however this was full.

On arrival we were told our rooms would not be available until 3pm so we settled down with a drink at the bar. By 3.30 our rooms were still not ready and at 3.40 we only got the key to one of the 2 rooms booked, not a great start.

The room (suite) was dark, I could hardly see the contents of my suitcase! The bathroom was just as dark and the ability to apply makeup or straighten hair was just not there in such light.

The hotel itself is dark, black everywhere, scantily clad pictures of ladies on each wall along the corridors and the elevator can only be described as a padded cell, again black.

When getting out of the elevator even into the main reception it feels like you are walking into the night sky.

Food was ok, but just that, a med- well done steak ended up being rare-well done and to be honest it took that long to get the courses it ended up just being left as I can't eat it like that.

Breakfast was ok but I made the bad choice of omelette which was so thin it was more like a crepe!

Toast was actually bread in a toast holder, we asked for this to be tasted further but it came back just the same.

We had one suite with late check out but found ourselves locked out some 4 hours prior to check out time.

All in all I was damn glad to get home, wouldn't stay there again, hotel resembles a brothel and certainly not the place to take your children.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 175Lorna
Midlands
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Not a bad hotel by most measures. Lively bar, friendly check-in staff, decent rooms, comfortable beds. Good as a central Manchester base.

However, service at breakfast slow - asked for my room number 4 times, forgot my order twice, took 20 minutes to bring coffee. Ditto service at the bar - a little tardy, but at least they didn't forget my order (which I had done by the time it arrived!).

Key measure - would I use it again - yes. It's a country mile better than most of the hotels around it.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business