“Disappointing”

Ranked #32 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at the Malmaison Manchester last weekend for two nights during a business trip to the city. Having stayed in one of their properties before, in Reading, I was apprehensive about the decor but reasonably confident in the quality of the room and service.

Initial impressions on arrival at the property are reasonable if you can stomach the decor, which can probably best be described as brothel-chic (or at least what one might imagine that to be). Check-in went smoothly but no assistance was offered with the bags to the room. The first real disappointment came when stepping out of the elevator on the second floor, immediately the hotel looks more tired and the smell is the bordering on the unpleasant. The room itself mirrors this, rather tired and again not the most fragrant! A real disappointment is the distinct lack of plug sockets - there wasn't one on either side of the double bed, so a phone cannot be charged bedside. The bathroom was adequate but for the first time I ever recall in any hotel, they only supply shower gel and no shampoo or conditioner. A rapid trip to the nearby Tesco Express ensued.

Service in the restaurant and bar was good, although the cocktails painfully slow to arrive on a Saturday evening. The food in the restaurant was reasonable and not exorbitantly priced at all.

The most disappointing part of our stay was returning to the property after dinner out to be greeted by the doorman asking to see our keycard, when we couldn't locate it (we'd left it in the room) he then implied we were't staying at the hotel and accompanied us to reception while we had a new keycard programmed. No apology was offered for his error. Given the quality of other establishments in the city it's somewhat bizarre that somewhere of Malmaison's middling quality requires such an overzealous gatekeeper.

In summation, we booked Malmaison at late notice and paid the price. At close to £600 for a two night stay, drinks and a small dinner on one of the evenings it does not represent good value - the desk and door staff, coupled with the poor rooms would warrant in the region of £80 - £90 at most, not the close to £200 we were paying.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere! Or, if the Reading property is anything to go by, the feature suites are the only o...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for your review, it is very helpful to me.

It is very disappointing that you did not enjoy your visit at all, and I would be keen to discuss in more detail with you. If you could contact me direct at the hotel, I would be most grateful.
In the meantime, my sincere apologies that we did not deliver.

Kind Regards
Jacqui

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a different type of Malmaison as it is in a modern building as opposed to an older converted one. Nevertheless, it carries the Mal brand well. Rooms are good but the real great thing about this Mal is the bar. Always buzzing. Worth a stop.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick H
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I would like to point out that we only stayed at this hotel as we thought it would be worth spending a little more and being near the train station upon checking in the reception staff where polite this is the only reason we gave 5 for service. once we got to the room this is where I would like to point out that the room we stayed in looked at first glance to be fantastic once we had settled in and had time to make a coffee we noticed that the room was looking tired and in need of a paint job the bathroom walls had marks all over and the seal on the bath and the shower screen was dirty. Whilst having a shower the little plastic instruction card on how to turn up the temp says something like "press the red button"...after 1-2 mins I figured out there was actually no red button but a tap in the middle.
The morning came and while packing stuff I noticed the state of the bed base it had been slashed open and the only thing covering the large hole was the valance considering the hotel looks good I would ask that the hotel management look at each room and start to look in to decorating the rooms as I for one will not return to the Malmaison Manchester knowing that the rooms are not up to the standard you would expect for the money you pay.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Slb357919
Thank you for your feedback, as this is most useful to me. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not manage to deliver on this occasion. I have shared your comments with my team, and we shall, of course, address.

In order that we may discuss this further, please contact me at the hotel. I would appreciate the opportunity to resolve the matter.

Kind Regards
Jacqui Griffiths
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have stayed here several times in the last month and for my loyalty I got an executive room. This is actually a step down rather than a step up as the executive rooms have more toys in and therefore use up the very few power sockets in the room. It does not help that the iPod Dock is for iPhone 4s and not 5s so I unplugged that and the room phone.

The rest of the experience was good.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Richard,

Thank you for your feedback. When you come next time we will be sure to allocate you a non-executive room. I am pleased to note that otherwise you enjoyed your visit, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

regards
Jacqui Griffiths
Brighouse, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

VisitiNg Manchester and decided to call in to the Malmaison restaurant for lunch. It's the third time we have been here and although it is hotel prices the service and the quality of food are exceptional. So glad we called and we will be back. Their steaks look awesome.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Grafton Regis
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Booked as a surprise for my partner and I, we arrived and I was told my discounted upgrade had been approved, we went to our room, great size, with a separate lounge with large tv and Bose surround sound, no where to charge an iPhone ( a little disappointing) a lot of places are doing this as a standard these days. The bed was a great size, and very comfy, the shower was a reasonable size but had to turn it off to soap up and turn back on the rinse as the jets were as described (Monsoon) then when we got out of the shower there was a large puddle on the floor, which we had to step over. The bedroom is decorated in black and other dark colours and I found it very difficult to find my clothes in the wardrobe, even had to resort to using the torch on my phone. The electric curtains were a nice touch but, though it was air conditioned, I would have liked the option to open a window for some fresh air.
Loved the cocktail bar, especially the special Strawberry/Bacardi one!
I stayed here a few years ago and upon arrival was told they had overbooked, we were moved somewhere else for the first night, which I wasn't impressed with, so the manager said next time he would do me a deal. I mentioned this when I booked but nothing was knocked off nor reduced.
I would use this hotel again next time as its a perfect location for my needs. Nice friendly staff and I found the whole place very clean.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights at Manchester, and it was a thoroughly delightful stay. Booked having previously stayed at Malmaison in Edinburgh which was lovely, and this was up to similar standard. We arrived extremely early over the busy Easter Weekend at 11am, and asked if we could drop off our bags. The friendly receptionist informed us that we could check in immediately (instead of 2pm), and we were given a free upgrade to an executive room. The interior is incredibly stylish and sultry.

The room was a little small, but everything you required was in it. The bed was large, and extremely comfortable. Beautifully designed, clean with amazing ensuite shower room (plus Malmaison toiletries). Only downside was that we were not able to open the window, but there was air-con in the room. Had breakfast, lunch and room-service (all delicious). Restaurant could be a little more efficient, with minor delays and confusion among staff but not too much of a problem. The hotel was ideally located near Piccadilly train station, the Trafford Centre, Deansgate and the village. Look forward to staying again next time i'm in town.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple