We stayed at the Malmaison Manchester last weekend for two nights during a business trip to the city. Having stayed in one of their properties before, in Reading, I was apprehensive about the decor but reasonably confident in the quality of the room and service.
Initial impressions on arrival at the property are reasonable if you can stomach the decor, which can probably best be described as brothel-chic (or at least what one might imagine that to be). Check-in went smoothly but no assistance was offered with the bags to the room. The first real disappointment came when stepping out of the elevator on the second floor, immediately the hotel looks more tired and the smell is the bordering on the unpleasant. The room itself mirrors this, rather tired and again not the most fragrant! A real disappointment is the distinct lack of plug sockets - there wasn't one on either side of the double bed, so a phone cannot be charged bedside. The bathroom was adequate but for the first time I ever recall in any hotel, they only supply shower gel and no shampoo or conditioner. A rapid trip to the nearby Tesco Express ensued.
Service in the restaurant and bar was good, although the cocktails painfully slow to arrive on a Saturday evening. The food in the restaurant was reasonable and not exorbitantly priced at all.
The most disappointing part of our stay was returning to the property after dinner out to be greeted by the doorman asking to see our keycard, when we couldn't locate it (we'd left it in the room) he then implied we were't staying at the hotel and accompanied us to reception while we had a new keycard programmed. No apology was offered for his error. Given the quality of other establishments in the city it's somewhat bizarre that somewhere of Malmaison's middling quality requires such an overzealous gatekeeper.
In summation, we booked Malmaison at late notice and paid the price. At close to £600 for a two night stay, drinks and a small dinner on one of the evenings it does not represent good value - the desk and door staff, coupled with the poor rooms would warrant in the region of £80 - £90 at most, not the close to £200 we were paying.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mal Manchester: In the home of the beautiful game you're about to turn Moulin Rouge. A short trundle for wheel-based luggage from Piccadilly Station and you're at the Mal - somewhere in the mists between Paris and the 24-hour party city. You cross the chessboard reception and suddenly you're a king for the knight. It's your move. Smoak Bar and Grill at Mal Manchester: A grill room and bar quite unlike anything Manchester has ever before seen. Set in the award-winning Malmaison Hotel minutes from Piccadilly station, Smoak is total indulgence for the senses. The amazing aroma of nation's finest oak-smoked steaks and fresh fish, served to a pewter counter or cosy booth. Imagine great imported beers, cocktails and bubbly served from an unusual sunken bar, with highly skilled mixologists serving you while you stay seated. Picture a stylish relaxed but chic interior a mix of booths, banquettes and counter stools. Come lunchtime and it's locally sourced bread, generously filled sandwiches and salads or full blown grill dining for the more adventurous lunchtime escapee. Come sundown the mood changes and we turn the aromas up to eleven. The cocktails flow, the steaks sizzle, the music turns up and the night begins. Ember Lounge at Mal Manchester: We could tell you about the Ember Lounge - an immaculate and opulent cocktail bar furtively hidden to the rear of the Smoak Bar & Grill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Malmaison Manchester reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malmaison Manchester Hotel Manchester
- Malmaison Hotel Manchester
- Manchester Malmaison Hotel