“Good Location”

Ranked #36 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Good Location”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was our second visit as the location is so good. We were given an upgrade at an extra cost but in reality the room was almost identical to the standard one, just had a larger bathroom. The bed was quite hard with solid pillows. The hotel is generally dark due it is black decor and the lighting in the bathrooms is poor, no option to turn the lights up so you can see in the mirror. When we arrived the gentleman concierge was unable to say hello or acknowledge us whilst dealing with another customer. So we waited patiently until someone else arrived and checked us in. Otherwise the rest of the staff were friendly and breakfast was good. A lively bar in the foyer makes it a popular meeting place.

Room Tip: Rooms were well kitted out with kettle, minibar, iron and hairdryer, just not enough plugs and slow...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Oldham
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Read some of the poor reviews and we can't fault Malmaison.
We, three girlies, were booked on one of the package deals (my 50th birthday gift off my two amazing, fantastic friends) - Exec room, breakfast, evening meal, cocktails and spa treatment. We arrived at 2.15pm and the room wasn't quite ready so the very helpful male receptionist said we could wait in the cocktail bar and could order a free cocktail each to enjoy until our room was ready. Within twenty minutes the room was ready. Our Exec room was in the newer part of the hotel and was well furnished and comfortable. Laura the housekeeper was absolutely lovely, friendly and so helpful - thank you.
We all had a back massage in the Spa which was soooo relaxing.
We had another few drinks, during bubbles time, in the cocktail bar and partook of the sliders (mini beefburgers) as a snack, which were delicious.
The evening meal was superb with plenty of choice from the menu (loved the haddock pate and flat iron steak) and the service was excellent.
Back to the bar after dinner which was busy with a great atmosphere.
We all slept very well - yes, the window didn't open but there was climate control in the room.
Breakfast was amazing - fresh fruit, juices, cereal, yogurts, granola, toast, full English, waffles, kippers, smoked salmon, porridge the list goes on. Delicious.
All in all we had a great time at Malmaison and will definitely book again and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newer part of the building were great
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank OldhamMaisieMoo
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

The location was brilliant! 2 minutes from Piccadilly station. Hotel itself well, let's say it could have done with a serious Hoover and dust! Rooms were extremely tired and grubby. Bathroom was dark and gloomy. There was 1 plug socket which was a nightmare. Cocktails over priced, for 2 double gin and tonics it was £21.......need I say more?! Would I stay here again? If it was £30 and I had nowhere else to go, then maybe but I definitely won't be rushing back! Sorry malmaison but you've failed to impress me

• Stayed May 2014
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Claire,

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate your honesty.

If you are able to contact me direct at the hotel, we can discuss the detail and find a resolve.

My apologies that you did not enjoy your experience this time, but I do hope that we may welcome you back.

Jacqui
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at the Malmaison Manchester last weekend for two nights during a business trip to the city. Having stayed in one of their properties before, in Reading, I was apprehensive about the decor but reasonably confident in the quality of the room and service.

Initial impressions on arrival at the property are reasonable if you can stomach the decor, which can probably best be described as brothel-chic (or at least what one might imagine that to be). Check-in went smoothly but no assistance was offered with the bags to the room. The first real disappointment came when stepping out of the elevator on the second floor, immediately the hotel looks more tired and the smell is the bordering on the unpleasant. The room itself mirrors this, rather tired and again not the most fragrant! A real disappointment is the distinct lack of plug sockets - there wasn't one on either side of the double bed, so a phone cannot be charged bedside. The bathroom was adequate but for the first time I ever recall in any hotel, they only supply shower gel and no shampoo or conditioner. A rapid trip to the nearby Tesco Express ensued.

Service in the restaurant and bar was good, although the cocktails painfully slow to arrive on a Saturday evening. The food in the restaurant was reasonable and not exorbitantly priced at all.

The most disappointing part of our stay was returning to the property after dinner out to be greeted by the doorman asking to see our keycard, when we couldn't locate it (we'd left it in the room) he then implied we were't staying at the hotel and accompanied us to reception while we had a new keycard programmed. No apology was offered for his error. Given the quality of other establishments in the city it's somewhat bizarre that somewhere of Malmaison's middling quality requires such an overzealous gatekeeper.

In summation, we booked Malmaison at late notice and paid the price. At close to £600 for a two night stay, drinks and a small dinner on one of the evenings it does not represent good value - the desk and door staff, coupled with the poor rooms would warrant in the region of £80 - £90 at most, not the close to £200 we were paying.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere! Or, if the Reading property is anything to go by, the feature suites are the only o...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review, it is very helpful to me.

It is very disappointing that you did not enjoy your visit at all, and I would be keen to discuss in more detail with you. If you could contact me direct at the hotel, I would be most grateful.
In the meantime, my sincere apologies that we did not deliver.

Jacqui
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is a different type of Malmaison as it is in a modern building as opposed to an older converted one. Nevertheless, it carries the Mal brand well. Rooms are good but the real great thing about this Mal is the bar. Always buzzing. Worth a stop.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patrick H
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I would like to point out that we only stayed at this hotel as we thought it would be worth spending a little more and being near the train station upon checking in the reception staff where polite this is the only reason we gave 5 for service. once we got to the room this is where I would like to point out that the room we stayed in looked at first glance to be fantastic once we had settled in and had time to make a coffee we noticed that the room was looking tired and in need of a paint job the bathroom walls had marks all over and the seal on the bath and the shower screen was dirty. Whilst having a shower the little plastic instruction card on how to turn up the temp says something like "press the red button"...after 1-2 mins I figured out there was actually no red button but a tap in the middle.
The morning came and while packing stuff I noticed the state of the bed base it had been slashed open and the only thing covering the large hole was the valance considering the hotel looks good I would ask that the hotel management look at each room and start to look in to decorating the rooms as I for one will not return to the Malmaison Manchester knowing that the rooms are not up to the standard you would expect for the money you pay.

2 Thank Slb357919
Thank you for your feedback, as this is most useful to me. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not manage to deliver on this occasion. I have shared your comments with my team, and we shall, of course, address.

In order that we may discuss this further, please contact me at the hotel. I would appreciate the opportunity to resolve the matter.

Jacqui Griffiths
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have stayed here several times in the last month and for my loyalty I got an executive room. This is actually a step down rather than a step up as the executive rooms have more toys in and therefore use up the very few power sockets in the room. It does not help that the iPod Dock is for iPhone 4s and not 5s so I unplugged that and the room phone.

The rest of the experience was good.

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your feedback. When you come next time we will be sure to allocate you a non-executive room. I am pleased to note that otherwise you enjoyed your visit, and we look forward to welcoming you back.

regards