“it's seen better times”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #39 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 16 May 2014

this hotel is in DIRE NEED of refurbishing! it extremely shabby, broken and dirty. have stayed here thru the years, and has progressively worsened. SAD.
it's too bad because it's in a great area and the staff are friendly and helpful. but seriously, whoever owns this, needs to put money into sprucing it up, it's obviously not been touched in the 15 or so years it's been open. you have a potential gem here and you aren't caring for it, mr. or ms. !! shame,
i won't be staying here again.

the staff and food are fine, but still, NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: ask for the cleanest one they have.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dukeymom
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Hello,

Thank you for your comments following your visit. I am keen to discuss our plans further with you, if you are able to contact me direct at the hotel.

I do hope we may welcome you back shortly. As a regular, I fully appreciate your feedback and hope we may chat soon.

Jacqui

Write a ReviewReviews (2,650)

Reviewed 16 May 2014

When I first stayed in the Malmaison chain of hotels they were a fantastically new style of hotel, very boutique and a pleasure to stay in. Other hotel chains were light years behind in both style and quality. Now days whilst the Malmaison Manchester is still a nice hotel to stay in it is starting to look tired and is showing its age compared to newer boutique hotels which have in the last 10 years have really upped their game and in some case surpassed the Mal and it's dark rooms and corridors.

Room Tip: Don't choose one on the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank P M

Thank you for taking the time to feedback following your recent visit.

I can appreciate your comments,and would be keen to discuss further. As a Mal fan, I am sure you know keen we are to act on your experience.

If you can contact me direct at the hotel, I would be delighted to chat through.

Jacqui Griffiths

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have stayed in this hotel a few times over the last three years and every time i go there i hope that the management have invested some money to get rid of the tired and worn look about this hotel. If you are going to use cloth covered chairs in your restaurant then make sure you keep them clean. There is something unsettling about sitting in a restaurants on stain covered chairs. Shows a lack of care.
In the elevators there are stains on the floor. The carpet on the stairs leading down to the bathrooms from the lobby area are badly worn and that part of the hotel would benefit from a coat of paint.
Stayed in a junior suite and one of the things i have always liked about this chain is the size of the rooms and the choice of room. The bathroom has a great shower set up with hot water immediately on demand.
The hotel's location is very good. Across the street from Piccadilly station and with great access to the city center.
The biggest problem on this last visit was the internet. The connection went down and for 48 hours i was treated to a variety of explanations by different staff members to point where some of them were blatantly lying. I did point this out. No one at the hotel seemed bothered that guests could not access the internet and there appeared to be no urgency around getting is back up and running. Management were completely missing in action.
One good comment about the hotel is that the staff in the lobby bar area and restaurant were very attentive and provided great service.
If you want to put up with the worn down environment that extends to the employees working the reception then this hotel's location will work for you. I am now looking for an alternate hotel for future visits to Manchester.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your detailed account following your recent visit.

There are a number of areas you have highlighted that I would appreciate the time to discuss further with you. If you can contact me direct at the hotel, we can perhaps look to redeem the situation?

Jacqui Griffiths

Reviewed 12 May 2014

My wife and I got married on a Friday and decided to spend our wedding night in the Malmaison Manchester. I had booked an executive double room and on checking in the lovely receptionist upgraded us and gave us some cocktail vouchers. We got to our room and it was the 'Moulin Rouge' which is a large suite, We couldn't believe our luck it was like being on MTV Cribs. 10 minutes later there was a knock at the door it was a waiter with a complimentary bottle of Champagne. It really made our day even more special. Excellent Hotel, Excellent Staff, Will definitely be staying again.
The Stocks

Room Tip: The 'Moulin Rouge' is by far the best room I have ever stayed in
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was our second visit as the location is so good. We were given an upgrade at an extra cost but in reality the room was almost identical to the standard one, just had a larger bathroom. The bed was quite hard with solid pillows. The hotel is generally dark due it is black decor and the lighting in the bathrooms is poor, no option to turn the lights up so you can see in the mirror. When we arrived the gentleman concierge was unable to say hello or acknowledge us whilst dealing with another customer. So we waited patiently until someone else arrived and checked us in. Otherwise the rest of the staff were friendly and breakfast was good. A lively bar in the foyer makes it a popular meeting place.

Room Tip: Rooms were well kitted out with kettle, minibar, iron and hairdryer, just not enough plugs and slow...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Read some of the poor reviews and we can't fault Malmaison.
We, three girlies, were booked on one of the package deals (my 50th birthday gift off my two amazing, fantastic friends) - Exec room, breakfast, evening meal, cocktails and spa treatment. We arrived at 2.15pm and the room wasn't quite ready so the very helpful male receptionist said we could wait in the cocktail bar and could order a free cocktail each to enjoy until our room was ready. Within twenty minutes the room was ready. Our Exec room was in the newer part of the hotel and was well furnished and comfortable. Laura the housekeeper was absolutely lovely, friendly and so helpful - thank you.
We all had a back massage in the Spa which was soooo relaxing.
We had another few drinks, during bubbles time, in the cocktail bar and partook of the sliders (mini beefburgers) as a snack, which were delicious.
The evening meal was superb with plenty of choice from the menu (loved the haddock pate and flat iron steak) and the service was excellent.
Back to the bar after dinner which was busy with a great atmosphere.
We all slept very well - yes, the window didn't open but there was climate control in the room.
Breakfast was amazing - fresh fruit, juices, cereal, yogurts, granola, toast, full English, waffles, kippers, smoked salmon, porridge the list goes on. Delicious.
All in all we had a great time at Malmaison and will definitely book again and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Rooms in the newer part of the building were great
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank OldhamMaisieMoo
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

The location was brilliant! 2 minutes from Piccadilly station. Hotel itself well, let's say it could have done with a serious Hoover and dust! Rooms were extremely tired and grubby. Bathroom was dark and gloomy. There was 1 plug socket which was a nightmare. Cocktails over priced, for 2 double gin and tonics it was £21.......need I say more?! Would I stay here again? If it was £30 and I had nowhere else to go, then maybe but I definitely won't be rushing back! Sorry malmaison but you've failed to impress me

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Claire,

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate your honesty.

If you are able to contact me direct at the hotel, we can discuss the detail and find a resolve.

My apologies that you did not enjoy your experience this time, but I do hope that we may welcome you back.

Jacqui