Malmaison Manchester
Monroes Hotel(Manchester)
Good 3.5/5
  • Bar/Lounge
2,708 results
All reviewscorner suitepiccadilly stationmini barbuilding worksuperior roomcooked breakfastan upgradebirthday treatreception staffcity centrecomfy bedhotel barlovely roomsaturday nightnorthern quarterstayed for one nightcanal street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed in Manchester Malmaison for the first time 17th May.
We loved the decor, although it does look like it could do with some TLC in some areas, we had a fabulous stay. Th staff were exceptional,very friendly ,helpful, cheerful and appeared to be enjoying their work.
Our room on the second floor hd some lovely touches and I really liked the range of shower/bath products . I love the fact that someone has thought of offering fresh milk for the tea/coffee tray, have always had to ask for it in other hotels. The fresh coffee ;bags' were very tasty too. The bed was comfortable we slept really well.
we enjoyed the bar area and the staff produced excellent non alcoholic cocktails which were delicious. The restaurant looked good,with an open kitchen but we didn't have chance to try it, except for a pre Bupa Manchester 10k porridge- which was very tasty .
The hotel was happy to keep our bags until after the race and we were able to use the spa facilities to get showered and changed afterwards.
We were in Manchester to watch the rugby league at the Etihad stadium and it was great to be close to the tram and decent car parking (Dale st).
The hotel does need some work but the service , atmosphere and location lift the experience and we will definitely come back - when I can fully enjoy the skills of the bar staff and the restaurant.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor at the rear/side of the hotel and had a lovely spacious room overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Have stayed here many times over the years, mainly due to the location.. Today, I was greeted by a unfriendly receptionist. I walked in my room, the bed wasn't made properly and the mattress had a huge stain under the pillow. I had to tuck the sheets into the bed as it wasn't done properly. The main issue was an incredibly lumpy mattress, you could run your hands over all the lumps and bumps on it. And finally in the bathroom there was hardly any product
in the shampoo and body lotion left.. There was a time when the products were brand new, the mattress was comfy and this was a great place to stay. Sadly I won't be returning

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank bramble01Uk
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Thank you for your recent review.

As General Manager, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your disappointment. If you can contact me at the hotel on 0161 2781000 at your convenience, we can address the issue.

Jacqui

Reviewed 16 May 2014

this hotel is in DIRE NEED of refurbishing! it extremely shabby, broken and dirty. have stayed here thru the years, and has progressively worsened. SAD.
it's too bad because it's in a great area and the staff are friendly and helpful. but seriously, whoever owns this, needs to put money into sprucing it up, it's obviously not been touched in the 15 or so years it's been open. you have a potential gem here and you aren't caring for it, mr. or ms. !! shame,
i won't be staying here again.

the staff and food are fine, but still, NEVER AGAIN

Room Tip: ask for the cleanest one they have.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dukeymom
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Hello,

Thank you for your comments following your visit. I am keen to discuss our plans further with you, if you are able to contact me direct at the hotel.

I do hope we may welcome you back shortly. As a regular, I fully appreciate your feedback and hope we may chat soon.

Jacqui

Reviewed 16 May 2014

When I first stayed in the Malmaison chain of hotels they were a fantastically new style of hotel, very boutique and a pleasure to stay in. Other hotel chains were light years behind in both style and quality. Now days whilst the Malmaison Manchester is still a nice hotel to stay in it is starting to look tired and is showing its age compared to newer boutique hotels which have in the last 10 years have really upped their game and in some case surpassed the Mal and it's dark rooms and corridors.

Room Tip: Don't choose one on the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank P M

Thank you for taking the time to feedback following your recent visit.

I can appreciate your comments,and would be keen to discuss further. As a Mal fan, I am sure you know keen we are to act on your experience.

If you can contact me direct at the hotel, I would be delighted to chat through.

Jacqui Griffiths

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I have stayed in this hotel a few times over the last three years and every time i go there i hope that the management have invested some money to get rid of the tired and worn look about this hotel. If you are going to use cloth covered chairs in your restaurant then make sure you keep them clean. There is something unsettling about sitting in a restaurants on stain covered chairs. Shows a lack of care.
In the elevators there are stains on the floor. The carpet on the stairs leading down to the bathrooms from the lobby area are badly worn and that part of the hotel would benefit from a coat of paint.
Stayed in a junior suite and one of the things i have always liked about this chain is the size of the rooms and the choice of room. The bathroom has a great shower set up with hot water immediately on demand.
The hotel's location is very good. Across the street from Piccadilly station and with great access to the city center.
The biggest problem on this last visit was the internet. The connection went down and for 48 hours i was treated to a variety of explanations by different staff members to point where some of them were blatantly lying. I did point this out. No one at the hotel seemed bothered that guests could not access the internet and there appeared to be no urgency around getting is back up and running. Management were completely missing in action.
One good comment about the hotel is that the staff in the lobby bar area and restaurant were very attentive and provided great service.
If you want to put up with the worn down environment that extends to the employees working the reception then this hotel's location will work for you. I am now looking for an alternate hotel for future visits to Manchester.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your detailed account following your recent visit.

There are a number of areas you have highlighted that I would appreciate the time to discuss further with you. If you can contact me direct at the hotel, we can perhaps look to redeem the situation?

Jacqui Griffiths