“Great staff at this hotel!”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #35 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Kent, United Kingdom
“Great staff at this hotel!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here in June for 1 night and found the hotel staff exceptional, room great and restaurant lovely.
All of the staff we encountered were professional, friendly and went above and beyond for the customers. Nothing was too much trouble for them.
We loved our suite (308) and would definitely book it again.
Our evening meals in the restaurant were great, we both had steak and they were both cooked perfectly.
The only reason I am not given this hotel a 5 / 5 rating ( I would give 4.5 / 5 if I could) is because for the price of the breakfast (about £16) it wasn't exceptional. I found the tea really weak, bacon fatty and scrambled eggs dry.
But I'd still definitely stay here again and think my breakfast was far from their normal service - just one of those things.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Indonesian first
Newport, South Wales. U.K.
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at the Manchester Malmaison last Wednesday after the Kings of Leon concert. Having enjoyed pervious stays at this brand in other cities, notably Liverpool, we decided on the Superior Room package at £175.

The Kings of Leon were brilliant. We arrived back at the hotel and enjoyed a drink in the bar albeit that the service was glacially slow on what seemed only a moderately busy evening.

On returning to our room you can imagine how pleased we we were to find that our package included unrestricted access to the Karaoke at the Waldorf Arms 50 yards away. We were still rocking away to all the old classics at past midnight. We phoned down to Reception to ask if it was possible to get our favourite (Islands in the Stream) dedicated to Peter and Miriam in Room 119. Unfortunately this wasn't possible. We eventually drifted off after a pretty impressive rendition of "Twisting the Night Away".

We were fortunate in not having to get up early in the morning. It has occurred to us subsequently that if you pay the Superior Room rate and expect to get to sleep before midnight, you may want to ensure your room is at the front of the hotel.

We also found it difficult to make our request for a Karaoke dedication by phone because we could find no clue in the room of the number to dial for Reception. We nevertheless made contact via the STD number.

The hotel also has a service whereby you can request the provision of fresh milk to your room if you find the small plastic cartons not to your taste. This service failed to deliver for us but we thought it was a good idea.

When we relayed our reaction to the Karaoke to the Reception Desk the next morning we were surprised to be told that the newspaper that had been delivered to the room would be at the hotel's expense. We assume this was to make up for the disappointment in not being able to get our dedication played.

We decided against the Malmaison breakfast at £14 each and enjoyed two Weatherspoon's' breakfasts instead at less than £10 for the two of us. We then headed out to Salford Quays for a look around and were really impressed by the Imperial War Museum North, the Lowry Centre and Media City.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Peter and Miriam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Having noted the less favourable aspects of your visit, I would be keen to discuss further. If you can contact me direct at the hotel, we can follow this up.
I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Kind Regards
Jacqui
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Good location but
- very hard bed (not convince there was actually a matress)
- noisy (on the to main road)
- huge neon billboard sized light out side window which couldn't be blocked out.
-----------

Mr McNicol,

thank you for your review following your recent visit. I am sorry you did not enjoy the experience this time. I have made a note for any future stays and assure you of our full attention.
Should you wish to discuss this further, please contact me direct at the hotel.

Kind Regards
Jacqui
Birmingham
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here March 2014. On check in I was told I was going to have to pay cash, which I didn't have on me at the time as my partner was bringing it upon his arrival. Reception were a great help, and were fine with me checking in without paying as long as we paid as soon as he arrived, which of course we did.

The room we paid for was a superior double, however, as per pictures on the website and the description, this is not what we Recieved! We were put into a standard double, which was nice enough but just not what we were expecting. Areas of the room were filthy, such as the valance and the surface areas were dusty. I work in hospitality, housekeeping especially, so maybe I was nit picking. Contrary to this, I don't think empty toiletries and an hour wait for some sugar is 'nitpicking'

We have just made a reservation for 5/6th August, in a corner suite and really hope that something is done about the condition of the room to restore faith in the Malmaison brand.

• Stayed March 2014
London
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here overnight for business and found it a good stay. Very central, 2 minutes from the train station. The rooms were large, modern and comfortable. The bathroom large with a great shower and products. Breakfast in the morning was good too. I'd stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Bisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights in June.
Professional, helpful staff. Good sized rooms with excellent beds.
Bathroom somewhat dark, but the Mal hotels love a bit of dark - especially the corridors!
Really good breakfast options and better than average coffee.
Well placed for Piccadilly Station.
One of my favourite hotel chains.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stopped by Manchester Mal for a business trip.

I had a standard double room, which was clean and comfortable. My only gripe was that the room was very stuffy, which meant i had to have the air con on all the time but other than that, all good.

I had a meal at the bar in the evening, the steak was well cooked and reasonably priced. There was also a good atmosphere in there, which is always nice and helps you feel comfortable.

It is quite pricey but you do get good service and it is centrally located, which is good for shopping, eating and drinking and the train station.