“Excellent ”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #32 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the Junior Suite top floor.
Room was huge, clean and spacious... Staff were all friendly and welcoming quick efficient check in. No complaints what so ever! Great atmosphere in the bar as it was final World Cup Match! Will definitely stay again and highly recommend :) X

Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Manchester

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times and have never had any issues.
Hotel overall is in a fantastic location. Close to shops, restaurants and bars as well as Piccadilly train station and bus station. As previously mentioned by other people, yes the hotel reception is dark but this adds to the hotels ambience- as it tends to have a romantic, relaxing theme throughout. Staff are always helpful and friendly, whether it be the people on the front desk, restaurant or spa area.
Rooms are modern and clean and have everything to hand. If you get chance upgrade to one of the suites, they are amazing! The hotel always have deals on their website and they are worth checking out if you want to save some money. Bathrooms have some toiletries incase you have forgotten anything, they also provide a a hair dryer, safe and a fully stocked fridge. Have had room service once and that was lovely. Views aren't amazing from the hotel but I really don't no what people except given the location of the hotel.
Have eaten in the hotels smoak bar and grill a few times and the food and cocktails are delicious. I am a fussy vegetarian and there is always something nice on the menu for me. Breakfast is also good and the menu provides a lot of choice.
The spa is great for relaxing in- it has massage chairs and saunas. Had treatments there before an each time the service I have received has been 10/10.
In summary I think this hotel is perfect for a romantic weekend away or a spa night with your friends. Can be a little bit pricey but well worth it!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a corner suite if you can. They have huge windows and a huge tv!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emma W
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Cannot praise this hotel or the staff highly enough. Check in was quick and efficient, with an upgrade which came as a surprise, and the staff apologised for the wait - which was about 2 minutes, so hardly a wait. Bedroom was all you could want from a hotel room. Good standard of decor and cleanliness. The bar staff (and in particular Scottish front of house lady - sorry did not get her name) could not have been more attentive/friendly. Great atmosphere in the bar, both in the day time and early evening. Room was on the road where building works were being undertaken across the road, but there was no noise or disruption, so good sound-proofing. Would definitely stay here again, and would definitely recommend this hotel. Already looking forward to the next visit. Well done to all staff, exactly how it should be!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights on a business trip. The Hotel is very convenient to national rail services.

I like to make sure the simple things are right. I checked in very quickly and shuffled off to the lifts. Where are the lifts??? Over there where it is really dark. Get on the lifts, almost no light. Being that dark tells me they don't clean there.

The hallways are all dark and the decor is just odd. Photos of skin aren't really what I expect to see. The room, by contrast, was light. The curtains didn't meet so I got to have lots of light.

The tub is WAY too high, one needs to be careful or one might end up injured in the dismount. The bathroom hadn't had a deep cleaning, ever.

I will say that the restaurant in the hotel and the bar had amazing service and the selection was very good. Their staff want to make you happy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Akula the Shark,

Thank you for your feedback following your visit.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your Mal experience this time. We "dare to be different" and the lighting and artwork are a key feature of this. As you can see from the other comments, this is what our guests come for - to relax and enjoy.

It's good to see you enjoyed the food and service though.

If you wish to discuss this further, please contact me direct at the hotel. I appreciate your opinions.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My stay at Malmaison Manchester was for a work conference for two nights, midweek in June.
The stay itself was fine, although the decor looks a bit shabby in day light. My room was comfortable and clean.
However, I left a well loved and quite expensive dress behind - completely my fault, I remember leaving it on the back of my chair and then checked out in a hurry and forgot to pack it.
As I knew exactly where it was I have emailed the hotel a few times now and have only had a couple of holding emails back saying they are consulting with the 'lost property department' but its looking very unlikely that my dress found its way into the lost property department. Very disappointing from a hotel of this standard and has put me off going there again. I will be booking a different location for my team for next year's conference.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Wendy,

We shall contact you direct regarding the missing dress.

Regards

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed here last Friday night for my Boyfriends birthday.
Upon arrival at reception we were met by a lovely young man who welcomed us and checked us in, making conversation and asking why we were there. I told him that we were there to celebrate a birthday and that I had been recommended a certain restaurant , asking him if it was any good. He confirmed it was a great restuarant and told us to go for it - which we did.
He then gave us a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room which was so lovely!
The bed was so comfy and the room was spacious and luxurious!
The bathroom was great, a free standing sink with toilet behind and a lovely monsoon shower.

I had a great nights sleep - there was no noise and it was very peaceful even though our room faced onto a main road in Manchester city centre.

We went down for breakfast the next morning which we had included in our rate, there is a lovely continental breakfast that you can help yourself to whilst you pick what you would like from the cooked menu.
I had the smoked salmon and scrambled egg - it was so good , I would recommend!

From to check in to check out the service we received was friendly and the whole process was fast, professional and easy. No queues or stressing!

I will be returning as I had such a great stay and look forward to visiting again soon!

Room Tip: Request a room over in the new block - the rooms have been re furbished and are lovely!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I stayed last night.

the bad?

air con simply blew war air around the room - i set it to 16, it reset to 19 and it definitely was not cool. My phone's thermometer had the room temp as 27 degrees. It was half that outside the hotel.

The wifi was so slow as to be pointless. It could not even power speedtest... it just timed out.

There was no remote control in the room and i had to get dressed to go back downstairs to ask for one. They brought one promptly.

The lady on check in told me to order breakfast before 11pm or it would be a five extra in the morning. When i went down to order breakfast, they new lady told me that it was the same price no matter when you decided to tell them... we eventually got breakfast put on the room that night but it was very confusing.

The coffee at breakfast was undrinkable muddy muck.

the good?

eggs benedict were delicious
the burger at the bar was tasty and served later then the menu suggested (9,30pm... the menu says it stops being served at 7.30)
the shower is good
there was an iron, an ironing board, tea and coffee plus kettle - i think there was a hairdryer and shoe polish kit.
The bed was comfy
the staff were friendly

i was in 414

Room Tip: i had a view at the back of a building site and the bins
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments following your recent visit.

I am sorry that you had a couple of room issues, and had we known, we would have been able to fix these for you. I shall ensure your next visit is trouble free.

I am delighted however that you enjoyed the food and service. Please don't hesitate to contact me direct at the hotel if there is anything further we can do for you.

Kind Regards