“Excellent value”

Ranked #35 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent value”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed on the bed and bubbles package and also opted into their upgrade system. Stayed in superior deluxe double for £93 inc breakfast and glass of bubbles. Excellent value. Large room with fab rain shower which actually worked like it should. Only complaint is the air con which makes the room smell.

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I visited Malmasion last week with my wife and my two sons for my sons graduation. From the moment we arrived we were treated with excellent customer service and were shown are room promptly which was top standard. On the night of arrival I went downstairs to the bar myself for a few hours were I meet a lovely barmaid ezjay who I must say was very friendly humorous and welcoming I then had a look at the cocktail menu I couldn't decide so the barmaid asked me my taste and recommended me an old Cuban (which are a must try). The next day my family and I went to the bar for a quick bite to eat and a few drinks before exploring Manchester were we were served by ezjay again my wife noted to me how much she went the extra mile to make the whole family feel welcome by congratulating my son straight away and getting my 5 year old a bubble gun and a few of cookies he was delighted while the rest of us were able to relax and have a few cocktails. I have visited the uk many times but It has to be said that we have never had a more enjoyable stay as we did in the Malmasion Manchester.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here for a girly catch up on one of May's amazing deals I can only say I have come home relaxed and having had a fab time.
Amazing value
Friendly staff
Great comfort
Will be staying again!

• Stayed July 2014
Cheshire
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I recently stayed at the Malmaison with my friend for her 40th birthday . We had decided that being busy working mums a nice spa and meal and overnight stay to recharge the batteries were in order or so we thought
After looking at several Manchester hotels we decided upon the Malmaison and booked 'the girly' package our initial email wasn't acknowledged so after chasing up we were promised an upgrade to an executive room and a 'treat' for my friends 40th along with a bubble time voucher. We arrived check in was quick but not very informative not the usual this is what time breakfast is, this is where the spa is etc but this could of been due to the long queue that had already formed behind us and both receptionists were rushed off their feet . Room was fine but no treat for my friend , I have stayed in better executive rooms for cheaper , bathroom wasn't the cleanest it could of been , the plug was broken in the bath so you could only have a shower and the beds are really hard / not firm just very hard and uncomfortable . So we went for our spa treatment which was lovely the ladies in there are so nice and a credit to the hotel. We then had our bubble time (free glass of house fizz which was drinkable) . We had booked in for the three course meal which I have to say was lovely not a lot of choice but you have to remember the price you are paying so it was good value for money and the staff were very accommodating to our requests.
We decided that after a drink in the bar (a Pimms which on the bar menu was £4 but then apparently you get charged an extra £3 for the lemonade - please note this wasn't a pimms cocktail just a pimms and lemonade which is very different) . We headed off to our room to have a good nights sleep before we headed home to our families or so we thought, unbeknown to us our room was right above where all the music was playing still not sure if it was a private function or just what the hotel do every weekend. The noise was awful to a point of putting your head down on the pillow and still being able to hear the sounds of one direction and an unbearable boom boom noise . I rang reception to be told that it was probably a bit too loud they would ask for it to be turned down but the music would go off at 12 - not what you want when you have been at the hotel for a chilled out relaxation break.
Eventually we fell asleep (1am) to be woken up again at 3.00am by someone knocking really loud on our door shouting to be let in several times, I eventually looked through the spy hole to see a naked man stood in the hallway you may laugh but not want you want or expect from a hotel of this standard, especially as we had seen a couple of families with small children earlier on in the bar and a bit frightening for two women on their own in a hotel to be honest
Reception were helpful in the morning when we mentioned what had happened they did take off £30 for the inconvenience and the receptionist was lovely , however it doesn't fill me with a great urge to book back into the hotel again which is a shame as we regularly have our spa nights (prob around 12 a year) I will probably book back into the Macdonald, Midland or Radisson for our next one as we have never had any problems like this with them. I suppose the hotel is just living up to its name translation !!!! I would love to be proven wrong as their spa area is lovely

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Dear Sarjay,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your Mal experience last time.

We have discussed your comments as a team and addressed areas where appropriate. If you would like to contact me direct at the hotel we can talk through further, as I am keen to restore your faith in Mal Manchester.

I hope to hear from you.

Kind Regards
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited the hotel mid July 2014. We opted into their upgrade programme when booking online and were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a corner suite for a very reasonable £35! Definitely worth the extra money for a huge room with separate lounge area, massive 55" TV and Bose sound system AND electric curtains - what every gadget geek wants, very James Bond!

Staff were all very pleasant, and dealt with any enquiries swiftly, I would definitely recommend the hotel if you are looking for a city centre stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Myself and my partner regularly stay in Manchester for business. Malmaison was so disappointing.
The beds were so hard, it was like sleeping on a plank of wood, I've never felt a bed like it! Only one of about 5 lights in the room worked, shower leaked and came on full pelt in the middle of the night.
When we complained there was also another guy complaining. The girl on reception didn't seem surprised. We were told we'd be contacted about it but never were.
Won't be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank rowen3888
Dear Rowen,

Thank you for your feedback on here, and my sincere apologies that we did not get it right when you stayed.

I am keen to discuss this further, and assure you of my full attention. If you care to contact me at the hotel directly, we can follow up with your findings.

I appreciate your time.

Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I think the good reviews on here must be from Malmaison's PR team. And whoever Jacqui is, who can frequently be seen on this website responding considerately to feedback, was certainly not visible during my stay. The elusive Jacqui was not interested in improving my stay while I was actually there. I should add that the Malmaison in Glasgow is excellent and I frequently stay there...but in Manchester you will be guaranteed a bad night's sleep, lack of hygiene (blood stains on the sheets, stubble and nail clippings on bathroom floor), noise, rude staff (particularly from the night manager , I think her name was Christine, who initially seemed helpful, but who was undeniably rude to my polite partner who felt bad enough complaining about the dirty bathroom) and windowless rooms (the windows are sealed shut...they claim this is for suicide prevention but normally safety windows will open at least an inch, for air.) These windowless rooms give you no choice but to be subjected to their filthy air conditioning. Legionnaires' disease, anyone? DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU VALUE YOUR HEALTH OR IF YOU NEED A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP. I normally don't write reviews but sincerely wish someone had warned me before I had booked a room here.

Room Tip: My tip would be to book a different hotel, any hotel. If you have no choice, avoid staying in their...