“Next time I'll stay elsewhere”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #36 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Kent,
“Next time I'll stay elsewhere”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

It's been a while since I stayed here and it'll be longer before I go back.

I got the discounted upgrade to a suite (using the on line option) and was quite pleased to get it. However, the sofa in the lounge was covered in dubious stains and even chocolat smears. I don't know how housekeeping missed it and by the look of tthe sofa, missed it for a long time. See photo. The bed spread also had hairs on it as well.

I asked reception to get housekeeping do something about it and when I returned later in the evening found the sofa hadn't been touched but for some strange reason a z bed had been made up in the bedroom. This resulted stubbed toes, grazes etc as the room wasn't big enough for the extra bed.

On checking out I wasn't charged for the upgrade and offered a free upgrade for my next booking, but I won't be back. I think there are better and cleaner hotels in Manchester.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Needmoreholdiays!
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Thank you for your honest feedback here.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not get it right. This is not the standard we aspire to. I would be keen to discuss further with you, should you care to contact me direct at the hotel.
I assure you of my full attention.

Kind Regards
Jacqui

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I've stayed at Mal Manchester quite a few times, and always loved it. I stayed in November 2013 and wasn't impressed at all, but went again in August 2014 - what a difference! The Reception staff were welcoming and extremely efficient and coped well under extreme pressure (it was exceptionally busy). I was lucky enough to have booked a treatment in the Spa, and the welcome there was excellent, and the treatment utterly fabulous (came very close to beating the massage I had at Palazzo Versace Gold Coast!) The bar staff were friendly, and the champagne cocktails were divine.
My room was beyond wonderful - though I do wish I could have swapped the complimentary toiletries for the shower!! I ate in the restaurant, which was very busy, but the staff were very efficient and attentive, and I didn't wait very long between courses.
What can I say.....if you are looking for a decadent weekend and want to leave all your troubles outside the hotel door with friends or partner then this is definitely the hotel for you. I really cannot recommend it highly enough - and I WILL be back - I am curious about the Romeo & Juliet suite.

Room Tip: Rooms in the old part of the hotel are much nicer and roomier
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The Malmaison in Manchester was the perfect location for our University re-union weekend. Located close to Piccadilly station it is an ideal venue for people travelling from all over the UK.
Reception staff were warm and welcoming and helped make everything go smoothly. Bar staff are friendly and informative, Check out the range of cocktails on offer- Penicillin comes highly recommended! The rooms are luxurious as is the Breakfast- the eggs benedict and granola are particularly good. Overall this was excellent value for money and we will be back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I booked this boutique hotel for a couples trip to the British Open. This was the biggest city close to where the Open was being played. We were very fortunate because while we were there the USA Olympic basketball team played against the British Basketball team. (It was Olympic time in London). We stayed in a Media suite and really enjoyed it. I booked the package with breakfast included and it was quite a lot of food that was delivered to our room every morning. Everything was in walking distance. The only problem we had was the shower and sink were clogged but they came right away to fix it. We were given full sized bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and get this massage oil! Loved it! It was dimly lit which I guess set the mood. There was no valet and that would have been nice. Parking was in a garage next door. I'm not sure we would stay here again. I like plush, luxury. But for my first boutique hotel experience it was really nice. It was in the American Express finest hotels book. We stayed here in July 2012. I selected sept 2013 only because I didn't have any other choice!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Ascot
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

The biggest issue with this hotel is it is very dull. The reception, the bar, the restaurant, the lift, the corridor and the bedroom are all poorly lit. If it was a great hotel this may come across as mood lighting or trendy, however, it is not a great hotel and it comes across as dingy and leaves you with a feeling that it may not be very clean. The wifi works fine and is free but it does ask you to register each and very time you use it. The breakfast was pale - everything was just cooked and could have done with another 5 mins in the pan /oven/grill. Staff are helpful and friendly and the hotel has a good location close to Piccadilly Stattion.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Our lighting is indeed "mood lighting", but I appreciate it's not for everyone. It's a shame that you did not enjoy your experience, but should you decide to visit again, please let me know and I assure you of our full attention.

I am delighted that you noticed our excellent team of staff though.

Hope to see you again

Kind Regards
Jacqui
London
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a Saturday night, hotel was busy which gave it a good atmosphere. Staff were very polite and friendly. Very handy for Piccadilly station. Room cost £150, and was absolutely tiny. It also looked like it could do with a revamp (bathroom inparticular). I've stayed in the malmaison in Edinburgh, Leeds and Belfast and the room sizes / standards were much better. Bit disappointing. Not sure is return.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank LaurenM1981
Manchester
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Me and my boyfriend had a planned night out in Manchester. So we thought we would make the most of it by treating ourselves to the mal! What a wonderful hotel. Clean, modern and really spacious bedrooms. I would like to say a big thank you to lee on the reception desk he made us feel extremely welcome. I will certainly be recommending this to everybody :)))

• Stayed August 2014