“Not the Mal I expected”

Ranked #32 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Not the Mal I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

So, I am a fan of the Malmaison hotels - I like the (slightly) unique character of the hotels and the sense that the hotel recognises its surroundings. This was not my experience in Manchester. It seemed as formula driven as other hotels, my room was functional but not in a good way. And then the service was really disappointing. Not the Mal that I expected

Room Tip: I think higher (away from the street noise) is better.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank G4about
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this review, 6 September 2014
Thank you for your feedback.

If you care to discuss this further - please feel free to contact me at the hotel. It would be good to understand how we differed from your expectation.

Jacqui

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Indonesian first
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We booked the girls night in spa package for a friends birthday here. From the moment we arrived in reception the service we received was excellent. Reception staff very friendly and helpful- even gave us a voucher for a free glass of champagne at the bar as we were there for a celebration.
Room was gorgeous and spotless couldn't fault it- I can't understand previous reviews that say this hotel is dirty or moan about mirrors that aren't in the right place or that receptions too dark.. Please!
We called reception to ask for a couple of things such as extra towels and a ice bucket which we got in a timely manner.. Nothing was too much trouble. I forgot to mention we also had some chocolates left on the bed which was nice.
Meal in the smoak bar and grill was fantastic along with the service- no complaints even though they were very busy with it being pride weekend it didn't effect the service we received Breakfast here was yummy too!
Service in the bar area was good- again they were very busy but this didn't matter.
Spa treatment we had included in our package was lovely. No complaints what so ever. Will be back next week :-)

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Emma W
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here when I was in Manchester for work recently. I usually stay at the Doubletree next door but thought I'd give this a try as I quite liked the Belfast one.

The hotel is in a very convenient location and is very pleasing to the eye. Although the immediate area isn't great, it's close to the train station and also the tram stop.

The food in the hotel was very good and I loved the choice of breakfast, unfortunately the service wasn't very good. It was a very busy few days and it was obvious at breakfast service they didn't have enough staff. A lot of people were waiting for a long time - myself included and the staff were so busy they were irritable and stressed and it really showed. With the enormity of the task, the service was sloppy. The housekeeping wasn't brilliant either and I had to call down a few times for things like missing towels and tea caddies not being refilled.

I used the spa too, well I had my nails done and I can honestly say that for the price I paid to have my nails done, I will never have it done there again. I was charged £28 for a polish and the girl who did them diluted the polish down with so much remover that she had to do several coats which meant they took hours to dry. The area where I had my nails done was so dark that it wasn't until I got out in the cold light of day to see that my nails had been well and truly butchered . I went to Boots the following day to buy remover to remove the botch job.

Apart from that, I loved the spaciousness of the room, quality of food and reception staff were lovely.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kat_Orr
Dear Ms Orr,

Further to your feedback on here, it would be good to have the opportunity to discuss this through with you. If you care to contact me direct at the hotel, I would much appreciate it.

Please accept my apologies that we did not deliver on this occasion.

I hope to hear from you.

Wexford, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

First impressions were good, staff friendly at check in. Room was compact but made good use of space. Comfy bed, smart tv in room, free wifi.

The detail let this place down.
1. No mirror at desk/vanity area .. Blindly drying and straightening hair!
2. No information book for guests (there was room service 'sheet that was confusing'
3. When room service tray was collected outside my room later in the night I could hear the clattering
4. I ordered toast n coffee at breakfast my first morning and neither arrived.
5. I ordered toast 2nd morning, arrived 10 minutes later cold an burnt.
6. My colleague had no shower gel in room and had to request it.
7. My colleague had a disgusting used towel in her room on check in
8. Prices at bar fairly expensive

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SuzD2013
Dear SuzD

I am sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience with us.

I have shared yoru feedback with my team and we shall action as appropriate. It is a shame we did not get the opportunity to put things right when you were here. if you care to discuss further, please dont hesiate to contact me.

Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed in Malmaison for my 21st birthday present, such a stunning hotel in a wonderful city. We booked the wine & dine deal, a price we couldn't quite believe, and staff could not have been more accommodating, allowing us to have half a bottle of red and half a bottle of white wine, as we could not agree on one!
Wonderfully comfortable beds, great facilities.
View was of a demolition sight, which is obviously beyond Malmaison's control, but work stopped at a reasonable hour and was no disturbance to us.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Niamh S
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at the hotel last night (sat 16th aug) as we were going to the matinee performance of ant and decs takeaway on tour.
We got a deal where we stayed over, had a 2 course meal, a bottle of wine and a cocktail each for £139! It was well worth it as the hotel and the room were beautiful. The service was very good the majority of the time - one particular waitress was not very attentive at times but we tried to not let this bother us.
The starters were ok, - insalata caprese and fritto misto) just abit bland but the mains (risotto primevera and the classic burger) were excellent as was the dessert (sticky toffee pudding).
Would recommend staying here as we may possibly do so in the future!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank claret4eva
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Just returned from a luch deal - steak and half a lobster with skin on fries for £25. The food was gorgeous, lovely perfectly cooked steak, delicious lobster, grilled with garlic butter and perfect skin on fries. The service by a girl called Laura V was probably the best in town. The place however is awful, not as I expected Mal Maison to be, I'm sure the one in Leeds was lovely but it was 10 years ago. It's just like a TGI Fridays but in a really rough, filthy area of town. We won't be going again just because of that - it's so bad. But the the food and the service was exemplary, if you do find yourself up that neck of the woods, for whatever reason, give it a go.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple