“Fabulous afternoon tea and amazingly friendly service.”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #33 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 31 August 2014

As a treat with friends I booked afternoon tea. From the first time of speaking to her on the phone Laura, who was also our waitress on the day, was extremely polite and friendly. On the day she couldn't do enough for us. The afternoon tea was lovely and at no point were we made the to feel rushed. I would definitely go there again. Thank you Laura for helping to make our day a bit special.

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 27 August 2014

me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel for our anniversary and to start they offered us free champagne to celebrate. This hotel has to be one of Manchester's best it has too many good points firstly the location - directly across from Piccadilly station couldn't be better for shopping nightlife or just a relax, it has an amazing restaurant for evening meal and breakfast.
the bar in the hotel is great the cocktails are really nice and made with real ingredients not cordials. I upgraded to the executive suite but would recommend any room at this hotel.
I will defiantly be staying at this and other malmaions again!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nowellllaura
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Recently stayed at Mal - and first impressions were great, staff lovely and the welcome very warm and friendly.

We got to the room, everything was as expected. As we started to look closer, we couldn't find certain amenities and tried to call to ask where they were. Unfortunately the phone wasn't working so I had to walk down to the elevator phone to ask for help. We reported the phone issue but unfortunately no one came to repair it as it was still not working the next day.

At night the room was quite warm and we tried to turn on the A/C. This didn't work either. We bared with it for the night, but this led to a very very uncomfortable sleep. We knew the hotel was full so there was no point in asking to move rooms, instead we abandoned the late check out and left earlier than planned in the morning.

Again on check out the staff were lovely and the blonde receptionist deserves individual mention as she was great, I'm just disappointed that for £170 for 1 night, that my night was ruined by being so uncomfortable.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Antony_Roberts-1
Jacqui G, General Manager at Malmaison Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Dear Antony Roberts,

thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy all aspects of your visit, though I am delighted to note that you appreciated our staff.

Should you wish to discuss any detail, so that we may improve upon your next stay, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed in a corner suite of the Malmaison in Manchester to celebrate our anniversary, taking advantage of the Sunday Stopover deal (spend £75 in the restaurant and get the room at a reduced rate). The check in was good - friendly, chatty and smiley. Once they knew it was a special occasion we were given vouchers for some complimentary bubbly which was a nice touch. The suite was decorated in the same style as the rest of the hotel, all dark colours and tactile materials. There's a small sitting area with a large tv with surround sound/DVD facility (couldn't figure out if this was the iPod docking station but that wasn't really important). Around the corner was the bedroom with a lovely big, comfy bed, a small desk and wardrobes. Off this room was the bathroom with separate bath and shower (lovely hot water too).

Our meal in the restaurant was very enjoyable and well presented. It's not hard to rack up a bill of over £75, but it was a special occasion and not the usual functional stay/meal. The steaks are excellent (delicious t-bone) and the after dinner cocktails rounded of a lovely evening. Breakfast the next morning was relaxed and again the service was efficient but with a friendly smile and a quick chat.

If I was to pick (a small) fault with anything, some of the furniture in the room had been scratched meaning that there were light coloured marks in the dark veneer which were noticeable. Otherwise the stay lived up to all expectations, and as our first experience of Malmaison has whetted our appetite to try out some of the hotels in other cities.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aroprop
Reviewed 24 August 2014

So, I am a fan of the Malmaison hotels - I like the (slightly) unique character of the hotels and the sense that the hotel recognises its surroundings. This was not my experience in Manchester. It seemed as formula driven as other hotels, my room was functional but not in a good way. And then the service was really disappointing. Not the Mal that I expected

Room Tip: I think higher (away from the street noise) is better.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank G4about

Thank you for your feedback.

If you care to discuss this further - please feel free to contact me at the hotel. It would be good to understand how we differed from your expectation.

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We booked the girls night in spa package for a friends birthday here. From the moment we arrived in reception the service we received was excellent. Reception staff very friendly and helpful- even gave us a voucher for a free glass of champagne at the bar as we were there for a celebration.
Room was gorgeous and spotless couldn't fault it- I can't understand previous reviews that say this hotel is dirty or moan about mirrors that aren't in the right place or that receptions too dark.. Please!
We called reception to ask for a couple of things such as extra towels and a ice bucket which we got in a timely manner.. Nothing was too much trouble. I forgot to mention we also had some chocolates left on the bed which was nice.
Meal in the smoak bar and grill was fantastic along with the service- no complaints even though they were very busy with it being pride weekend it didn't effect the service we received Breakfast here was yummy too!
Service in the bar area was good- again they were very busy but this didn't matter.
Spa treatment we had included in our package was lovely. No complaints what so ever. Will be back next week :-)

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Emma W
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here when I was in Manchester for work recently. I usually stay at the Doubletree next door but thought I'd give this a try as I quite liked the Belfast one.

The hotel is in a very convenient location and is very pleasing to the eye. Although the immediate area isn't great, it's close to the train station and also the tram stop.

The food in the hotel was very good and I loved the choice of breakfast, unfortunately the service wasn't very good. It was a very busy few days and it was obvious at breakfast service they didn't have enough staff. A lot of people were waiting for a long time - myself included and the staff were so busy they were irritable and stressed and it really showed. With the enormity of the task, the service was sloppy. The housekeeping wasn't brilliant either and I had to call down a few times for things like missing towels and tea caddies not being refilled.

I used the spa too, well I had my nails done and I can honestly say that for the price I paid to have my nails done, I will never have it done there again. I was charged £28 for a polish and the girl who did them diluted the polish down with so much remover that she had to do several coats which meant they took hours to dry. The area where I had my nails done was so dark that it wasn't until I got out in the cold light of day to see that my nails had been well and truly butchered . I went to Boots the following day to buy remover to remove the botch job.

Apart from that, I loved the spaciousness of the room, quality of food and reception staff were lovely.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kat_Orr

Dear Ms Orr,

Further to your feedback on here, it would be good to have the opportunity to discuss this through with you. If you care to contact me direct at the hotel, I would much appreciate it.

Please accept my apologies that we did not deliver on this occasion.

I hope to hear from you.