“Just because they're a chain doesnt mean theyre all the same!”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #32 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
North West
“Just because they're a chain doesnt mean theyre all the same!”
Reviewed 21 February 2007

We stay at Malmaison Belfast on a regular basis and it is the most atmospheric, exciting hotel you could wish for. If you want to propose, celebrate an anniversary or just visit Belfast (which is a pretty happening place these days) this is the place to stay. The staff fall over themselves to help, the chef is a genius and even a standard room is luxurious. So, when we wanted to celebrate our wedding anniversary what better place? We didnt have the time to travel to Belfast, so we settled on Malmaison Manchester. Oh dear. We stayed in the Moulin Rouge suite which is very cutting edge interiors (and actually a lot of fun). It was the next morning when we pulled the enormous, heavy and dust-filled curtains back that we fully appreciated the room we had spent £395 (exluding breakfast!) on. It was FILTHY. Girls, we know how long it takes to accumulate that depth of dust, that layer of grease on the furniture, don't we? Of course we complained. Five days later we received a letter from Malmaison Manchester- it was a bill for some apple juice we had from the mini-bar, oh...and some things we hadn't. No letter of apology, no refund, nothing. I have just got off the phone after a conversation with the duty manager. He did say sorry. Refund? Dream on. But 'if there is anything we can do in the future when you stay...'
AS IF we would stay there again! So, remember people- a chain of hotels does not mean they are all going to be of the same standard!

Stayed February 2007
6 Thank Billi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Leeds & Germany
Reviewed 13 February 2007

Stayed here on a Friday night recently as I'd been warned that heavy snow might stop me getting across the Pennines. I originally phoned the hotel, asked for Reservations and was evidently put through to a central reservations call centre who quoted me 150 quid room only and claimed that was all they had.

I balked at this and quickly logged on to the Mal website. There I got a room for 79 quid. Bit of a difference.

Checkin was fine. My room (#303) was very very small, tucked away round a corner (former storage cupboard?) with a much smaller TV than I'm used to at other Mals and, as the screen was a bit small to watch from the bed, I had to perch on the chair and watch TV. This said, room was very clean, bed very comfy and the bathroom was up to the usual Mal standards.

One word of warning to continental Euros and/or Amex users planning to stay at the Mal. After I'd booked online the terms and cond's on the confirmation said that it would be chip and pin cards ONLY from 14 Feb. 07, which excludes the aforementioned two groups. Maybe best to check beforehand come the 14th Feb. to avoid any nasty surprises or hasty trips to the cashpoint (I wasn't allowed to use my Amex to purchase a ticket on the train from the airport to Piccadilly for example).

• Liked — The lovely Malmaison soap, really powerful water pressure and the proximity to Piccadilly
  • Disliked — The difference in rates quoted by Central Reservations and the website
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank theoriginalsid
Leeds
Reviewed 30 January 2007

Stayed at Malmaison Manchester on Saturday 27th January 2007. We booked a suite and were extremely disappointed, nothing like the website. The room was small and basic considering the cost of 240 pounds. Luckily when we complained the manager did discount the room for us. A major let down and a shame it was nothing like the lovely reception.
Would not recommend or stay again. Can get a Travel Inn for a portion of the price and same standard.

• Liked — The reception area
  • Disliked — The basic room
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank lilybet
ireland
Reviewed 15 January 2007

Stayed here for one night as we were going to see Kylie Minogue in concert.
Very central location, a short walk to the major shops, malls, etc.
24 hr stores just outside and bank machines very handy.

Room was adequate, bed was very comfy. TV with sat channels and a cd player was a nice touch.
Bathroom in black and white check was unusual but nice.

Hotel staff very nice, especially the barmen. Try the Cab Sav wine and the Shiraz-Grenache, both were absolutely superb.
We tried the Roast Beef & Horseradish sandwich and the Malmaison burger. The burger comes quirkily served on a board!

Room was nice and quiet and I was not aware of any noise from anywhere.

Very nice bar and the hotel has lots of little nooks and crannies that you can sit in and be cosy.
Lobby has one pc which has free internet access.

• Liked — The wine
  • Disliked — One surly staff member named Gemma
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cartagia
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 9 January 2007

If you don't mind paying £99 for a hotel room (I am an American, and so equate that to nearly $200), then this hotel is a good, safe option. The location is perfect in between the train station and Oldham St., and within easy walking distance of Chinatown. The staff is friendly and the rooms are impeccably appointed: quirky furnishings, bright colours, clean, modern bathroom with full-sized designer toiletries to take home.

Our room was 2nd floor, faced a soon-to-be-torn-down building next door. The window didn't shut tightly and was a bit drafty but we didn't bother to complain. I'm sure the staff would have been accomodating as they seemed very friendly! One annoyance was that my towel had a sticker on it saying "Mal" --obviously put there by the linen delivery service. A bit careless.

The hotel appears a bit greedy: upon check-in you are asked if you'd like a dinner reservation at their restaurant. In the room is a bottle of wine (£12 or so) and a CD (£10) that you will be charged for if you open mistakenly.

I have stayed in similar 'boutique' hotels for less money though I guess in the UK £99 is a good rate for this type of property.

• Liked — Beautiful room, fantastic location
  • Disliked — Overselling "extras" like wine and CDs in room
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank NJ girl in the UK
stockport
Reviewed 24 December 2006

Don't quite know where to start with this hotel as everything about it was perfect with a capital "P".
I think firstly "Jamie" the duty manager should be mentioned as he changed our anniversary from what started out as a disaster into a very very memorable special occasion. We had the "Moulin Rouge suite" at Malmaison only for one night but memories to last for ever!!!!!!!! He'd arranged champagne on ice(and it was decent champagne too!)strawberries dipped in chocolate,fruit,and mineral waters which were all complimentary all arranged in our room. We had a spectacular 4ft deep bath with lots of freebie toiletries in our room and dressing gown and slippers were also provided. The restaurant food was very fancy but very delicious and we enjoyed a lovely evening meal and a tasty breakfast the followingmorning.As we checked out we were also given a bag of "Malmaison" toiletries as a christmas present.
So we would like to thank everyone at the hotel for such a wonderful and special stay, but a special thankyou to "Jamie" for everything and for giving us the opportunity to sample the "Malmaison experience. We will definitely stay here again and will recommend you to everyone we know.

Merry christmas and a Happy New Year

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — stay in the moulin rouge suite if you don't have a budget
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank karenStockport
Manchester
Reviewed 11 December 2006

Just got back from a stay here on the Saturday night and I was really impressed. I really wanted to stay in the Lowry as I've been there before, but now think any future visits would be better spent here as it's so close to the main train station.

I was a bit worried about the attitude of the staff, based on other reviews here, but found them to be great; really professional and courteous. I arrived before the 3pm check in and they took my bag so I was free to laze about Manchester for a few hours, which I thought was cool.

The room itself was nice. Smaller than the one I stayed in in the Lowry, but very nicely decorated and I really liked the bathroom - big fluffy towels (with spares in the cupboard) and nice toiletries. I didn't have any problems with noisy heating systems etc, and the bed was SO comfy!

All in all I really enjoyed this hotel, from the staff to the rooms to the location. Only negative side was bar prices - £3.35 for a pint of Kronenburg....that said, there are loads of other cheap(er) bars close by so it's not a big problem.

• Liked — Staff very friendly, room very nice and comfortable, great location
  • Disliked — Bar prices - very expensive!
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled solo