“Woken by radio alarm at 6am...”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #35 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 23 June 2010

My view of this hotel is coloured by my main memory of it - a very rude awakening at 6am by the radio alarm going off. We asked reception staff to ensure this did not happen again but were unconvinced that alarm had been switched off. We did not know how to do this and did not want another early call. Eventually a handyman was sent up - he disconnected the radio! If alarms are included in electrical equipment then staff should ensure they are disabled after each guest . Reception staff did not seem particularly bothered about our inconvenience. We had not noticed the radio, let alone realised it was harbouring an alarm.
The bathroom was was all black and white, not very attractive. Downstairs was all black and red, also not very attractive. The hotel seemed to be trying to be cool and trendy but trying too hard I think. We had a light meal in the bar and it was fine.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 June 2010

I was treated recently to a night a Malmaison Manchester for my birthday – not much of a treat in the end!! The hotel was lovely and clean however I mistakenly left some clothes hanging in the wardrobe when I checked out. I contacted the hotel a little while after I left to advise them of this – but it appears my clothes were not in the wardrobe where I left them. The big question is where are they now?? The hotel are saying there staff would not take them, and the theory by the police is that ‘possibly’ as the cleaners wedge the doors open when cleaning the rooms someone could have walked upto the 3rd floor and taken my clothes out of the wardrobe in the far corner of the room, the hotel does not have CCTV – so it is a real mystery. The fact is I am missing clothes – and the hotel is not very forthcoming in where they have disappeared to!!! The lesson is don’t leave anything behind in this hotel – you won’t ever see it again!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CSIPreston
Reviewed 12 June 2010

Stayed at the Malmaison for a couple of Nights. Its right close to everything in the city. We had dinner in the Restaurant, the food was excellent.

I cant see where other people are saying this hotel isnt any good. Our family had 2 rooms and both were very high standard and spotless. everything you want. Tea/Coffee/ Wifi, lots of towels, plasma tv, shower, bath etc..

I must comment and say that the staff and management are excellent. they really go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

All round i give this hotel a 10/10

I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelbuddy09
Reviewed 8 June 2010

Just stayed at the Mal for 1 night and it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. On first impressions it looked very swish but when we got got to our room (on the 5th floor on a Monday night?) we felt we had be hidden away. The hotel signs were missing letters and the carpets were stained. The room was OK very small and warm. Only good points were the shower and bed. I had a treatment in the spa, however they booked me in for the wrong one, the beautican wad disinterested and I got the feeling I was wasting her time. This generally was the theme for the rest of the staff as well. It was also the noisest hotels i have ever stayed in, people screaming and banging doors all night long. Breakfast was OK apart from the staff made it difficult to order and made us feel like we shouldn't touch the continetal section. Over all not a good enough experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2010

We stayed here for a weekend while visiting friends and were not very impressed. While the foyer is clean and well decorated, the room we were staying in was very small and the bathroom, dingy. The price of the room and meal was very expensive.

We expected more for the money and from the sister chain of hotel-du-vin.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We stayed at the Manchester Mal on 24th May 2010 in the Theatre of Dreams Suite with a 'Love Suite Love' Package.
I think the room is now called the 'Romeo and Juliet' Suite.
My partner and I have spent very little time together since our, now 2 year old, son was born and we booked the suite and some treatments at the spa for some quality 'us' time.
We arrived early just after 10ish and although the room wasn't ready we were allowed to do a pre-check-in and leave our bags with reception. This was handy. We were given a card off the manager wishing us a great stay and a voucher for two glasses of champagne.
The hotel is in a fab location and we were then able to easily access the centre of Manchester (Arndale Area) whilst we waited for our room. Check-in was at 15:00hrs. We went for Lunch at a nearby terrace and then went to the Malmaison terrace for some drinks. This was relaxing and the staff were upbeat and friendly. I drank the 'Twinkle' cocktail (a mix of champagne, vodka, elderflower and lemon) which I highly recommend and I couldn't stop drinking whilst I was there. Delicious!
We went again to see if our room was ready at 14:30ish. We were told it wasn't, but that it would definitely be ready at 15:00hrs. We went for another drink. The room wasn't ready at 15:00hrs, it was 15:40hrs before we received our key cards. However, the staff were very apologetic and did give us complimentary drinks whilst we waited. More Twinkle!! :)
Our room was of a good size. Quite small for a suite, but still by any stretch of the imagination large enough for the two of us and then some. The Theatre of Dreams is very in-keeping with the rest of the Malmaison. It's interior is of a quirky design and although parts of the room are luxe it is completely modern and what Malmaison strives to be, 'different'.
Our room had two beanbag chairs, a beanbag sofa, a coffee table, a huge tv cabinet containing a massive plasma, coffee and tea making facilities, a chargeable mini bar, a desk, a glamorous light up mirror, a good size bathroom with walk in rainforest shower, a MASSIVE plunge bath - HUGE, a four poster bed, wardrobe, tv in bedroom, 2 phones and then lamps, bose surround sound system etc.
Because we had booked under the 'Love Suite Love' package, we also received (in our room) a bottle of champagne, chocolate dipped strawberries, a CD, rose petals on the bed, massage and bath oils and body lotion (as well as the usual body wash shampoo and conditioner in normal Mal rooms). It is advertised that we should have had candles, but we didn't receive these. We received a champagne breakfast by handing in our voucher at the brassiere at breakfast time. Although breakfast was gorgeous (I had a childish serving of 'Egg and Soldiers') it was far from the 'Champagne Breakfast in your room' feel which was advertised. I thought it could have been more romantic than handing in a voucher!? I'm being picky, but for the money, I'm allowed :)
The room was boiling. This is my only real problem with our stay. Granted it was almost 30 degrees outside and it's going to be warm wherever you stay however I could not for the life of me get the air-con to work. Neither could my partner. I couldn't sleep because of the heat and because of the noise outside. It was one of the worst nights sleep I've had in a long time. The bed wasn't actually that comfy and I had dead arms/legs etc in the morning. I was glad when it was a reasonable time to get up so that I could get a cool shower. I was glad also that I was going to the spa, I needed all those bed knots pushing out of me.
Such a gorgeous room though. Honestly. Don't let it put you off you may have a fantastic sleep! Everyone likes different beds etc. It was worth the money despite the little things that niggled and the lack of sleep.
The spa was ran by young ladies. It didn't have the same professional feel that the spa at Malmaison Birmingham had. The relaxation area isn't really separate and is only divided away from reception by a room divider. My partner had booked the 'Stress Reliever' package and I had booked a Holistic whole body package, which was pretty much the same as the stress reliever, just with different names to attract different genders.
Now, I'm so bias here because the treatments I had at Birmingham were amazing. I left feeling like a completely new person. I didn't feel like this after the Manchester spa. My partner who hadn't had any other spa treatments before this thought it was great. I just didn't feel at any point that my treatment was professional. As me and my partner opted to have our treatments in the same room we obviously had two therapists in with us. At one point I could feel her making hand gestures to the other therapist. Whenever they left the room they took an eternity to return. Despite the body brush and exfoliation my skin isn't feeling particularly brand new or fresh at all really. The products didn't smell or feel as good as the Elemis products at Birmingham spa (I think they use ESPA).
I was disappointed by the spa. Definitely. I didn't say too much or complain though as my partner loved it and I didn't want to spoil it for him.
We looked around some other rooms in the hotel. The other 'Super Suite' Moulin Rouge is exactly the same as the Theatre of Dreams but a floor down on Level 3 and it doesn't have the light up mirror and the steps to the bath are slightly different. The Cinema Suites (I think she said there are 5) are smaller in size but the bathroom in the one we looked in was fab. No plunge bath, but a living area with a massive pull down screen and a separate bedroom. We also looked in a standard room on Level 2 which was small and we would have been slightly disappointed with if we'd been put in it. However on Level 4 we saw a standard room which had just been decorated and was larger in size (despite it being a standard). It was gorgeous.
We also looked at the Mal 1 and 2 function rooms and these were of a good size and well equipped.
Over all a luxurious experience, but I just couldn't give it a five because all the little problems built up to a relatively large one.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Becks02
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Spent the night here with my wife on 21/05/10 as we were in the City seeing Peter Kay at the nearby MEN Arena.

The decor of the hotel is very stylish however we do find with Malmaison's that the main public areas of there hotels tend to be more stylish than the actual bedrooms. We did find the room nice (but small) but on this occasion the cleanliness was quite 100%. It certainly wasn't dirty , far from it but for a Hotel of the standard of Malmaison we wouldn't expect there to be dust all over the mirrors and the bedroom cabinets. For us though, it wasn't a huge problem and we would certainly recommend the hotel to anyone. It is in a very central location and parking is literally next door. The breakfast is fab too.

Having said that we got a very good rate to stay there but we might have a felt a little let down if we had to pay the normal room rate.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple