“Manchester Gem”

Malmaison Manchester
Ranked #33 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Hotel is in a fantastic location, close to Train Station, car parks and free bus links to city centre, although only a 5 minute walk.
The rooms are comfortable and clean with TV, Stereo, docking stations etc. The bath rooms are lush with lots of MalMaison goodies which smell really good.
The restaurant is fantastic, food is excellent and service is great.

The hotel often has special offers so worth watching their website, they do a Sleep, Eat and Drink package which is particullary good.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julie-AnnFrost

Reviewed 19 July 2010

After staying at the Malmaison in Birmingham and being very impressed, I thought the Manchester Mal would be a safe bet for a bit of luxury.

We usually stay at the City Inn - but the room rate was £85 we wanted something a little more decadent for near £100.

(It's worth mentioning that we've also stayed in a superior room at the Crowne Plaza which was far better than the Mal, plus Velvet which was just amazing but generally costs more than the Mal - but if you're thinking of staying at the Mal you should check out both of these!)

~ ~ ~

We booked the 'Eats' package (£130 for room and 2 course dinner including a bottle of wine). The standard room rate without dinner was £99 - so we thought this was a pretty good deal and would make life easier.

I'll review the restaurant separately - but for anyone who is interested, the £30 menu is very limited and the service is absolutely dire!

Upon check-in, we were charged £154 instead of £130 and told something about eating off the a la carte menu if we wanted to. We were then given a piece of paper semi-explaining the situation; addressed to 'Monsieur et Madame'... despite being a female couple... which, given that the Mal is right off Canal Street, could cause offence to a lot of people.

As for the hotel...

Really not what you would expect from a hotel brand that is so hell-bent on giving an impression of exclusivity and luxury.

For £99, we had a choice of 'cosy, standard or extra spacious' rooms. We booked the latter and if that was spacious, I honestly have no idea what the 'cosy' room option was! It was tiny - the bed had a small gap either side and a desk at the foot of the bed, with little space in between.

In terms of decor, it felt like a bedroom in a 1970s tower block that your average budding-amateur-Interior-Designer had tried to make stylish with a few splashes of black and red here and there. I guess they can't do anything about the old building it is in, but they could do more with the decor to distract from the ugly view and window. The furniture had seen better days and there were 2 dirty old vents on the ceiling.

The bathroom was reasonably spacious compared to most tiny hotel bathrooms - but the finish was poor. The ceilings were painted dark red and were very messy where they met the top of the walls, as was the handle and lock in the bathroom - half-covered in grey paint. There was a crack in the sink, the tile grouting had seen better days and it just didn't quite feel finished. I've genuinely seen far more impressive bathrooms in 2* and 3* hotels! (Which I find insane!)

The service was totally lacklustre and we weren't even asked how our stay was when we checked out.

Also, although check-out wasn't until 12pm, we were given 3 wake up calls from 11am, which got annoying.

On the plus side, the bed was probably the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in and the location was great - 10 mins from both the Arndale and Canal Street.

Overall - I definitely would not suggest you stay at the Mal, unless you book under a special offer for less than £70 and don't eat at the restaurant!

1  Thank Sparklepop
Reviewed 18 July 2010

This was my first Malmaison experience; I have been told so many good things about the hotel, so I was expecting something special.
I was not disappointed; the hotel was in the centre of Manchester first plus. We were greeted by very happy and friendly reception staff, who told us we were upgraded competently, what a good start, she also confirmed dinner times has we had a package deal that included dinner, lets hope dinner is just as good. The room was lovely very clean and had all the mod cons including iPod player wild screen TV and DVD player, bathroom was gorgeous again very clean big bath and shower and there body cleansers and shampoos we really nice to. We had our meal early at 6.30we were greeted again by a really friendly waitress who went though the menu with us and confirmed that we had wine included and cocktails from the bar which we had after dinner. Our meal came in good time and was served professionally and friendly the starter I had was French onion soup, followed by the stack and it was faultless we all very much enjoyed our meal.
To follow our fantastic food we went to have a cocktail in the bar, served by a very handsome bar man who seated us down and went though the menu, I had my favourite, “Mojto” With a twist and have to say I have had many before but this was by far the best I have had.
The First Night was like I say fault less, I was so impressed with the hotel, staff and food, and there was nothing I didn’t like.
Breakfast was something different, it was served to us in our room, on time in a basket full of delights, really nice idea I thought.
Malmaison, thank you very much for the experience, I will be back, I like the look of the oxford one.
Shane Hind

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank ShaneHind
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Rooms always very plush in this hotel chain and at £78 I thought good value. However, we had our evening meal in the brasserie which was very disappointing. Firstly they sat us in a tight corner hemmed in by no less than three other couples! The guy sat literaly right next to me and I had to syncronise our eating so as not to keep clashing elbows! At least we got to hear a few rather interesting conversations. I ordered a T Bone which was of decent quality but about 10mm thick!! I don't know how they managed to shave it so thin! For the thick end of £30 I expect a steak not a thin sliver of beef! My wife didn't fare much better ordering off the set menu. She also ordered steak but was presented with a lump of old boot leather. I can eat steak of any toughness but this was beyond even my ability to chew! At least it was a bit cheaper than mine. They then tried to load my bill with an £8 help yourself tip! We we're under the (wrong) impression that breakfast was included in the price - My fault! and ventured down the following morning. This would have been a decent breakfast had the bill come to about £15, but my jaw hit the floor when they hit me with a bill for £29!! So, to summarise; the Malmaison is a very nice hotel indead (try Newcastle) situated in a nice (ish) part of town not far from the gay village (we're straight but had a great night down canal street) But get a deal which includes breakfast or better still, eat out. I wouldn't bother with the brasserie either - it's poor. We would definately use this hotel again but next time we would save our £110 which we spent on food by being more selective on restaurants.

1  Thank Kevinperree
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Headed to Malmaison with a girly friend for some pre-shopping pampering and overnight stay. Lovely spa treatments at reasonable prices, decent sized twin room, and exceptionally good steak frites at the Brasserie. We booked a room and dine rate at £129 and thought for £65 a head (which included two courses and wine at dinner) this was excellent value.

The decour is almost entirely red and black - prob cutting edge a few years back and still perfectly serviceable (though I guess not everyone's taste!). Comfy beds, nice toiletries in bathroom, excellent power shower.

All in all recommended.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Fantastic - suite was gorgeous cinema style TV etc Bed was sooo comfy, rose petals on the bed fantastic! All in all splendid, stayed in Mal Newcastle before and this lived up to Newcastle's high standards. Love Mal products!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank JamiesonsScotland
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We spent a night at the Malmaison, which is situated directly opposite the Piccadilly Station and a short stroll from Piccadilly Gardens and the Arndale Centre.

The decor is moody, with dark reds and blacks featuring throughout giving an opulent feel. Our bathroom had a wet room, with a really powerful shower and lovely toiletries. There wasn't a bath in our bathroom, which would have been disappointing if either of us fancied a soak.

We ate at the restaurant and the steak I had was the best I think I have ever eaten. The food was amazing!

Service was excellent! The wait staff in the restaurant, the bar staff and the team on reception (especially a lovely Irish girl from Kildare) were all fantastic.

We enjoyed our stay immensely and would not hesitate to recommend the Manchester Malmaison.

1  Thank chatelaine76