“No real organisation”
Review of Manchester Arena

Manchester Arena
Ranked #21 of 189 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Owner description: Manchester Arena, managed and operated by SMG Europe, is one of the busiest venues in the world and the largest indoor arena in Europe. Since opening in 1995, the Arena has hosted the biggest names in live entertainment including U2, The Rolling Stones, Madonna, Lady Gaga, Pavarotti and the record-breaking 2010/2011 residency by local comedian Peter Kay. In addition to live music, we've also staged some of the biggest events in the UK sporting calendar including several 2002 Commonwealth Games' events, the 2012 Olympic basketball warm-up match between team USA and GB, the 2008 FINA World Swimming Championships and international boxing bouts by Mike Tyson, David Haye, Joe Calzaghe and local champions Ricky Hatton and Amir Khan. We've also played a key part in Manchester's rich musical heritage with historic shows by local bands Take That, Oasis, Elbow, New Order, James, Happy Mondays, The Charlatans, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, M People, Doves, The Inspiral Carpets, The Verve, Simply Red and The Courteeners. Attracting over one million visitors each year, the 21,000 capacity Arena is a former winner of the industry's prestigious International Venue of the Year award.
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We were here for a large concert and the doors were opened a good half hour late which led to a lot of annoyed people and then there was utter confusion when standing ticket holders went to doors that said standing and were rudely told to go "up there" and pointed in a general direction up a huge corridor!
Then after asking other confused looking queues of ticket holders we eventually managed to find where we were supposed to be and despite it being a very wide corridor, a very, very rude young girl barked at all "Line up against the wall" as though we were all stupid and below contempt - we weren't stupid - we just hadn't been given adequate information and didn't even know for sure if we were in the right line - I also object being spoken to like a piece of dog dirt and glared at by a girl young enough to almost be my daughter!!
We were then herded down some very steep stairs but nothing was done to stop a group of eager people from pushing past us on the stairs, nearly knocking my friend down a very steep flight of stairs and then as we got near the stage, we were all shouted at to "sit on the floor! Sit down!" - I was wearing a posh dress and have major disability in my left ankle which makes sitting on a floor near impossible and very dangerous yet I was still forced to sit on a filthy, dirty concrete floor like a primary school child!
During the concert, although they did half-heartedly stop some idiots fighting, they left other people fighting and my friend even had a girl having sex and using her as a leaning post on the SECOND row and even when it became clear I was getting dangerously crushed against the steel barrier and I needed to move for my own safety, they wouldn't let us out via the side barriers and I had to push past a standing area that was heaving with people including people dancing in their own moshpits and even buying merchandise, we were treated rudely!
Will never go to a gig here again unfortunately - the Academies are run by politer staff and are safer with regards to help if you need it. Although I know it could just have been a bad night with unusually grumpy staff, it doesn't matter - it was my first time at MEN and I won't be going back - sorry

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Speedy entrance.Seating areas are well signed. Plenty of food/drink outlets, bit pricey but not extortionate.Overall a pleasant experience and of course the show was fantastic

Reviewed 7 December 2012 via mobile

Elbow were fantastic playing to a home ground on 1st Dec and couldnt fault the staff either. Id booked standing tickets way back in the summer only to find that I needed an ankle op in November 3 wks before the gig. After consulting the website I rang the venue and spoke to their Special Needs Advisor. They said they would allocate more appropriate tickets on arrival. My friend and I parked in the official car park (a bit pricey at £12 but v convenient) got a lift down to the box office and went to customer services who had paperwork ready and changed our seats. We walked round to the correct door and were shown there by a steward and found we had fantastic seats just two up from the floor so were able to join in with the arm waving to Open Arms and One Day Like This afterall!! All I can say is if you want accesibility advice ring the venue as they were very helpful and considerate. I nearly gave my ticket away as I thought it would be impossible for me to enjoy the concert - not at all. In fact Im off to see Mumford and Sons there on Monday as well - well done Manchester Arena!!

Reviewed 5 December 2012

Seats are a bit uncomfortable but all in a great venue with everything you need (food,drinks, toilets) for a night out seeing a show. Close to town centre so easy to get a nice meal and still get to Arena on time walking.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

the atmosphere and views at a concert in the round are a completely different experience to an end stage , the only down side is no video screens if seated a long way back

1  Thank john k