REM Hotel
Doubletree
US$125
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$127
US$115
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 February 2013

No signage to where the hotel entrance is.
Doorman made me get my booking form out on the street before he would let me in.
Hotel rooms were dirty, decor had seen better days, wallpaper hanging off, dirty tea and coffee tray and lights that didn't work.
Filthy carpet upstairs outside the bedrooms.
Showers were grubby and very dated and the shower was hanging off the wall.

I really don't think that the other people who have reviewed this hotel saying it is fantastic have ever stayed here, the hotel is above a 'caberet' bar and the dreadful kareoke style singing went on until 2am, it was that loud it shook the room.

I did know where the REM Bar was but knowhere on the booking form on booking.com did it say that the caberet room was beneath and very very loud music went on until 2am.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank RugbyMJR
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This is the 3rd time I have stayed here in this hotel. It has mixed reviews, as does every hotel, But I think people that stay here are expecting the Hilton! People KNOW its above a bar on Canal Street where all the bars and clubs are, so why moan that you could hear music downstairs until 1am!? This is a great little hotel, the location is fantastic, you are literally on the door step of Canal Street. All rooms have a shared bathroom, but there are 2 bathrooms for 6 rooms, this has never proven to be a problem the times I've stayed here. There is a free breakfast in the morning included in the price, which ranges from full english, to cereals, toast coffee and teas. I personally cannot find a fault with this hotel, the beds are really comfy and the decor is really modern. Out of the 6 rooms, only 2 have en-suite showers, but ALL rooms have a wash basin and tea coffee facilities. I am going to stay here again and would really recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Rob J
Reviewed 15 November 2012

What an experience - On arrival I was a little concerned that we were the only people staying in the hotel but check in went OK. We booked a 'superior room' superior in the sense it had a shower in it but no toilet. Looking at the room it liked as it had been refurbished it last couple of years as the fixtures and fittings were quite decent but not well maintained. I wouldn't say the room was filthy but it certainly wasn't clean, basic tea and coffee were provided as you would expect but no remote control for the TV and no glasses for rinsing etc. The carpet was disgusting and frayed near shower area. The communal toilet also have showers both had mold on the shows curtains and although the toilets themselves were clean, the rest of the area wasn't, the landing area looks very tired and could do with some money spending on it.

The hotel is at the top of the bulding, the REM bar is on the ground floor and the show bar is on the first, although on the hotels website it said it was open until 1, both were locked up by 12. Location is good right in the heart of Canal Street so don't go expecting an early night.

Breakfast was served in the show bar area, the orange juice and toast were nice, as for the rest - grease is the word. Yes its cheap and I wasn't expecting the Ritz but it needs TLC and I wouldn't stay there again - go to the Mercure or IBIS near by!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robbolapool
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We always stay at the Rem when having a night out in Manchester's gay village, it's cheaper than a taxi back home which can be expensive in the early hours of the morning especially at the weekend.

The hotel is bang in the centre of the village which is a great location, admittedly, it can be quite noisy but as we are having a night out ourselves we don't mind it. The rooms are well equiped with everything you need, flatscreen t.v., tea and coffee making facilities ect. Breakfast is between 8.30 and 10am and one of the few hotels in the area which still serves a full English breakfast included in the price.

If it's a quiet retreat your after look elsewhere but as a base for a short stay in Manchester's city centre close to all the city has to offer the Rem's hard to beat.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank allanwhyte77
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed here Fri 29th June 2012..my first time staying here, And I was a bit wary at staying here after reading the negative reviews. I arrived into the bar and the bar guy was really helpful and explained things as I was new! The room itself was mordern, and very clean. It is true though that all the rooms do not have a toilet...BUT..BUT....there are 2 bathrooms on the landing, clean and presentable with a toilet and shower cubicle in each. My room had a shower, room 6....there are only 6 rooms, and all rooms that Fri night were all booked, I thought there would be a problem with toilets, but that really wasnt the case. No fighting for either of the shower rooms, whenever I used the toilets, they were always available. This really for me was not a major issue to be honest. This is a great little hotel above the Rem Bar for an overnight stay or even a weekend, I really would recommend this hotel to anyone. Breakfast is included in the price, the guy who was serving breakfasts was really efficient and a pleasure. Breakfast was actually alright, juices, tea/coffee, toasts, wide selection of cereals, full english also an option. I honestly cannot find a major fault with this hotel. The bed was really really comfortable. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a luxury room, there are 2 out of the 6. Those 2 have showers in the room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo