“REM Hotel, Manchester”

Ranked #95 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Llandudno, United Kingdom
“REM Hotel, Manchester”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My friend booked this hotel as a mistake, and it was the best mistake ever. The place is a bit daunting as you reach it, but its cute and quirky. I think it was very good for the price that we paid for the room. The nice gent behind the bar warned us there would be a function on, so it would be pretty loud later on... That's essentially what you have to expect staying above a bar/nightclub. The rooms were on a separate floor above everything, which felt secure as everything was opened by keys. The room itself was a double, with tea and coffee making facilities, a safe, bedside cabinets and a full length mirror. The bathroom was shared with the corridor (there were 2) and was very clean. Breakfast in the morning was cooked for you, so it was fresh, and was the best thing after a night out. There was also cereal, juice and the nice gent cooked toast on demand.
My only issue, if that, is that the carpet was a bit grubby on the stairs to the rooms, although I suppose that's the same with any bar/nightclub floor after a heavy night.
It's not the Hilton or any of the mainstream hotels as people seem to be expecting. It's a B&B above a nightclub, and that is what people should expect. The people are friendly, the rooms are nice and I would definitely stay again, and for the price we paid, it was an absolute steal. Thank you to all the lovely staff who made our weekend in Manchester better and even more memorable :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ScLC1321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Very helpful bar staff downstairs, and the guy who cooked our breakfasts was friendly and quick with the service. The hotel is centrally located and great for getting around Manchester. We didn't mind sharing the bathrooms (which were always clean), and we had been warned about the karaoke bar on the floor below, so it didn't faze us when it sprung to life on the Fri/Sat evenings.

However, the room hadn't been very well maintained. The cover to the fire alarm in the ceiling was dangling open, a knob on the door of the in-room shower was missing, and one of the four light bulbs in the ceiling was broken. The carpet on the stairs was disgusting and seriously needs replacing.

Would I stay here again. Yes, but only for the location and the good breakfasts. The rooms need to be better maintained and the carpet on the stairs needs replacing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I booked three nights here, but once checked in and pointed in the direction of my room by a less than friendly bar man I was pretty shocked and horrified when I got to the hall the rooms were off. Opening the door to my room I felt very down hearted. The décor was dingy and dated, it felt dirty and un cared for. The music and drag act on the floor below was so loud in my room that the floor shook. I sat on the bed and quickly realised I couldn't stay here. I checked into an IBIS instead which was clean, spacious, peaceful (but also right in the centre just 2 mins walk away) and a world away from this place. I've back packed all over the world and this is the most awful place I can honestly remember paying money to stay in. Just don't!

Room Tip: Get a room at the IBIS instead - its a world away in quality, a fraction more expensive but just rou...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Jamei C

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Dudley - West Midlands - UK
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I stayed here recently with my husband and i have to say this was the worst hotel/B&B we have ever stayed in and i don't say that lightly. Rooms are tiny, dirty with a cheap uncomfortable bed. The staff are incredibally grumpy and i honestly warn anyone thnking of staying here - only do so as a very last resort!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pauldigital
Monaghan
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights, not a great hotel being honest. Rooms have not been maintained very well. I had one of the deluxe rooms, which had a shower and a wash hand basin in the room. I had to use the communal toilets, there was 2 shared between 6 people. it was a bit of a pain actually, as you have to remember you had to bring your key with you every-time you wanted to go to the loo. The communal areas were very dirty the carpets were bogging. The carpet in the room itself was frayed and not that clean either. The room had a windows which had obscure glass so i couldn't look out, making it a little depressing, there also appeared to be some sort of fan going on outside which was noisy at times. The bed was comfortable and appeared to be clean, Some of the bulbs didn't operate in the room. i wouldn't book this room if you were planning to sleep before 3am in the morning as it is noisy from the pub down below. The breakfast was ok, i could taste stale oil from the fried eggs which wan't the palatable, the room in which the breakfast was the pub itself, wasn't a nice environment to have breakfast. The staff were all very good, and couldn't do enough, in fact I was able to check in to my room early as the room was vacant and clean. Personally I think this hotel is too expensive for what it offers.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank thesphinx23
Dittisham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

No signage to where the hotel entrance is.
Doorman made me get my booking form out on the street before he would let me in.
Hotel rooms were dirty, decor had seen better days, wallpaper hanging off, dirty tea and coffee tray and lights that didn't work.
Filthy carpet upstairs outside the bedrooms.
Showers were grubby and very dated and the shower was hanging off the wall.

I really don't think that the other people who have reviewed this hotel saying it is fantastic have ever stayed here, the hotel is above a 'caberet' bar and the dreadful kareoke style singing went on until 2am, it was that loud it shook the room.

I did know where the REM Bar was but knowhere on the booking form on booking.com did it say that the caberet room was beneath and very very loud music went on until 2am.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank RugbyMJR
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2013

This is the 3rd time I have stayed here in this hotel. It has mixed reviews, as does every hotel, But I think people that stay here are expecting the Hilton! People KNOW its above a bar on Canal Street where all the bars and clubs are, so why moan that you could hear music downstairs until 1am!? This is a great little hotel, the location is fantastic, you are literally on the door step of Canal Street. All rooms have a shared bathroom, but there are 2 bathrooms for 6 rooms, this has never proven to be a problem the times I've stayed here. There is a free breakfast in the morning included in the price, which ranges from full english, to cereals, toast coffee and teas. I personally cannot find a fault with this hotel, the beds are really comfy and the decor is really modern. Out of the 6 rooms, only 2 have en-suite showers, but ALL rooms have a wash basin and tea coffee facilities. I am going to stay here again and would really recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo