“Basic..but adequate.”
Review of REM Hotel

REM Hotel
Ranked #98 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I booked to stay at the Rem hotel Manchester even though I live in greater Manchester because I was going to a show in the area and with a friend wanted to finish up the evening in manchesters gay village without worrying about taxis home and to make more of an occasion of the event.

The guy who checked me in was friendly and showed me to my room. To be honest the room was smaller and more basic than I imagined but perfectly adequate for my means. Certainly a lick of paint would not have gone amiss but the room was perfectly clean and the bed linen crisp and white.

I don't think you have to be a gay man to stay at this venue but I think it probably helps and even then only if you are joining in the party and not wanting an early night. I got back from my show not long before midnight I could hear a lot of noise from the Cabaret bar underneath and from outside. It's as well I was joining in the fun. The hotel is a great location and my room overlooked the canal on canal street.

The breakfast factor raised my rating from an average to a very good. The service and breakfast itself highly recommended and my vegetarianism very well catered for.

I would certainly return again under similar circumstances.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Andrew S

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stay here all the tim now after my first visit. Great value rooms, they're all done up. Always spick and span when I'm there and it's in a great location right in the city centre and in the heart of the gay village. The only thing I was worried about was the communal bathroom being horrible but i was quickly mistaken...the bathroom is very clean and very manageable.

I'll continue to use this hotel in the years to come.

Room Tip: rooms 5 and 6 have their own shower facility if you don't fancy that trip down the corridor or f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anthony J
Reviewed 2 March 2014

After reading negative reviews after booking I was concerned about staying here however, service was great on arrival and in the morning for breakfast. Location is fantastic and rooms are clean. For the money you pay you get a lot. If you're looking for a cheap and cheerful weekend I would recommend Rem 100% I will be back.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank SC272
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Upon reading the reviews after booking a room here I was worried. However my stay was fantastic, the room was clean and tidy, the service was excellent and it was great value for money. I will definitely be returning

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Well i booked directly, I always do. Was given an ensuite room though a little confused as no toilet in the room. I am a hotelier and an ensuite has a toiler and shower. However the room was nice and clean and comfy. Bloody huge shower lol! Breakfast was good even though i was a little hungover. Staff are great and would recommend this hotel for those wanting to stay directly in the gay village of Manchester.

Well done guys - gays do it best !

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I read the reviews of REM hotel and thought that they were possibly due to people who don't realise you get what you pay for, or those non-gay travellers who don't know how to behave in a gay bar (where the reception desk is).

Sadly, I was wrong. I expect a clean room and a bed. I got the bed. It looked great, but the mattress was flimsy, and every move made a horrible creaking noise. The biggest problem was the smell. It STANK. Of stale curry. Absolutely vile. And of course, the window opens all of 1 inch so I couldn't air the room.

There is a sink in the room- style over substance, it looks nice, but doesn't even have anywhere for soap to be held.

The shower/toilets are down the hall, not a problem. What is is the fact that they're dangerous. The tiles are cracked. The shower cubicles were dirty. The shower curtain was filthy. And the toilet seat was so badly maintained I've actually lodged a complaint with the Manchester city council Health and Safety team. It had exposed chipboard to sit on. Just disgusting. Oh, and there's nowhere to put your stuff while you shower, and the showers flood the floor.

I stayed on a night when the cabaret bar was closed, but the room next to me had a few very loud people in, and the walls were paper thin. If the floor is like that, and you need quiet to stay, don't.

I didn't stay for breakfast. I was working at 9- but breakfast was only served from 8:30. I left at 8:20 and there wasn't even a sign of it being prepared, so no idea what it's like. But to be honest, by the time I left, I was feeling so disgusted, I didn't want to eat at the place.

I don't normally leave bad reviews. But this place really needs to pull its socks up. It should be a great hotel. Its rooms are big, the location is great. But with so many options nearby, those things really don't count when leaving this place made feel like I need to disinfect everything I had in the room with me. For now, though, I have to agree with those who say AVOID.

Room Tip: Sorry, just don't.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank counterintuitive
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I was utterly shocked and disgusted at the rude bar man at this place. Me and my friend were in manchester for a long weekend and had been having a great time, until we got to this bar. We walked in and it was so quiet about 4 guys around the bar. We sat down whilst deciding what to drink when suddenly the bar man asks 'in for a drink?' My friend replied yes were seeing what we want when the bar man went ok and kept staring at us in a really hostile way. My friend asked whats wrong and was told 'normally when you come into a bar you go to the bar' and my friend repeated like I said were deciding what to get! The man continued to look at is in a very hostile manner and looked at me and said rudely 'got id' which I knew he would have to ask but the way he went about it can't help feeling like he just didn't want us there. We walked out as I refuse to give my money over to rude idiots. would not advise going there

• Stayed: November 2013