“Not good”
Review of REM Hotel

REM Hotel
Ranked #99 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Me and a friend who were visiting Manchester for a long weekend in July arrived at the hotel to find the room we booked was terrible and in our opinion unfit for purpose. The Bedding was very clean and presented well but that's were it all ended. The door to the room was damaged and jammed in the frame, the advertised en-suite didn't exist it was just a shower and sink in the room and they were not clean. The carpet was dangerous and I almost tripped over when my foot caught in the loose threadbare join at the foot of the bed and there was no air circulation in the room.
In all fairness to the Manager we did get a full refund very quickly and without fuss and we found another hotel just 200 years away that was perfect as we simply couldn't of stopped in this room.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank SteveBirmingham2014

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Not happy at all...room was filthy. There was an awful stench, shower was filthy, sink was filthy, communal toilets at the end of corridor between 5 rooms which were....u guessed it.....FILTHY!! Door was faulty, room was tiny and also very very hot and the window hardly opened. My highlight was finding a fan under a pile of dirty laundry located in the hallway. Turned this on and got covered in dust because just to keep the trend going, that was filthy too. Myself and my girlfriend lasted 1/2 hr then decided to go and look for another hotel. We found another hotel then went back to the dive to check out. On departure we walked down the stairs to discover someone had vomited all over the staircase. The cost of this god awful hotel was £75 for 1 night....personally I think they should pay YOU £75 to stay its that bad. This was booked by girlfriend for my birthday. ...thank god we decided to check out!! Would never ever go back and certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone...even to my worst enemy! !

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dotwieler
Reviewed 21 July 2014

A Friday night out in Manchester this time and a double room booked at The Rem Hotel situated right in the middle of Canal Street – ideal for the bars and the early morning stagger back to your room

£55.00 for a standard double I thought was a fair price for a Friday – the room was ideal for me. It was situated at the front which I personally do not have a problem with its great to hear the hustle and bustle outside as I get ready.

The room was perfect for my needs – very clean and very comfortable. I had a shared bathroom which again suits me fine and this was also perfectly clean and was available when I needed it.

I didn’t sample the breakfast as I only just made the check out deadline (11am by the way) the staff are extremely friendly and I would always recommend the Rem as a great /friendly place to stay

Room Tip: Never had a problem staying here
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My friend and I were going to Manchester to watch a football game, and didn't see this coming. The hotel was a bit tricky to find, since the reception is in the bar of the Rembrandt. Felt a bit like sneaking into the dark rooms in a dark Berlin alley bar without knowing what my leather cap and pants were giving off.
Anyway, staff was nice, guided us through the barred metal doors to the right floor, where our room was waiting for us, complete with charming photos and a shower next to the bed. And one duvet. My friend and I laughed it off and enjoyed our stay. There was NO indication on the hotels.com link of this hotel.

Room Tip: Bring your rainbow colours and your sense of humour. :)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank langejon
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed here for one night! The hotel is in a great location, it's really central for pubs, restaurants and clubs and in the heart of the gay community. There is a taxi rank just around the corner so if you wanted to go further afield it's great for that too, perfect for us as we were going to the warehouse project!
The room is really basic but very clean. Had a tele and tea and coffee facilities. We stayed in a room with no toilet or shower but they were just across the corridor and were really clean and tidy. However, we did have problems the shower did not work in the one and the lock did not work on the other which wasn't ideal!
Remember you are staying on top of a pub/club so loud music will be played until the early hours so don't expect a peaceful sleep if you want an early night!
I would definitely stay at this hotel again though, it had character, and for the money we paid for it, was not bad at all!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Charlw1991
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I booked to stay at the Rem hotel Manchester even though I live in greater Manchester because I was going to a show in the area and with a friend wanted to finish up the evening in manchesters gay village without worrying about taxis home and to make more of an occasion of the event.

The guy who checked me in was friendly and showed me to my room. To be honest the room was smaller and more basic than I imagined but perfectly adequate for my means. Certainly a lick of paint would not have gone amiss but the room was perfectly clean and the bed linen crisp and white.

I don't think you have to be a gay man to stay at this venue but I think it probably helps and even then only if you are joining in the party and not wanting an early night. I got back from my show not long before midnight I could hear a lot of noise from the Cabaret bar underneath and from outside. It's as well I was joining in the fun. The hotel is a great location and my room overlooked the canal on canal street.

The breakfast factor raised my rating from an average to a very good. The service and breakfast itself highly recommended and my vegetarianism very well catered for.

I would certainly return again under similar circumstances.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I stay here all the tim now after my first visit. Great value rooms, they're all done up. Always spick and span when I'm there and it's in a great location right in the city centre and in the heart of the gay village. The only thing I was worried about was the communal bathroom being horrible but i was quickly mistaken...the bathroom is very clean and very manageable.

I'll continue to use this hotel in the years to come.

Room Tip: rooms 5 and 6 have their own shower facility if you don't fancy that trip down the corridor or f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends