“Never experienced anything so bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of REM Hotel

REM Hotel
Ranked #94 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London
“Never experienced anything so bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

I stayed at this flea pit for a night , I was supposed to stay for three but it was so bad I could not possible put myself through another 2 nights. The room was disgusting, supposed to be superior ( would hate to see the standard rooms) disgusting dirty shared toilet and bathroom,pubic hairs in the bedding. faulty wiring and no window. Bet the inmates in Strangeways have better conditions.
The breakfast was pure slops a plate of economy tinned tomatoes with the cheapest of bacon and sausages not properly defosted.Tea and Coffee facilities were disgusting, chipped cups and saucers and tea stained spoons.
I complained at the check in which is in the main bar down stairs and was told by some untidy rude barman that if I didnt like it get out and that with having paid in full I would not get a refund. I asked to see the owner and when I spoke to him (an old man in his 70s with grey hair and moustache) I was told that no refund was possible.
I got a room at the Ibis hotel less than a 100 yards from this horrific hovel for less money and clean beds and comfort.
This dirty place should be closed down.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank holyrose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2010

Our room so dirty and dingy with a tiny window that could not open with frosted glass which was less than a foot from a brick wall. Staff were not exactly friendly, the smell of cheap chip fat made breakfast an occassion to be missed. the landing and stairs were filthy. But the most disguisting thing was the shared toilets, which were filthy and nasty and no where on their website did they say you have to share a toilet. When you book on line you are charged for your entire stay in advance, which makes getting your moey back difficult. Our room was so disguisting we could not stay in it so had to book another hotel. I suggest you avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bubble81

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Blackpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2010

Recently stayed in Room 6 which is supposed to be a luxury room. Well where do i start. It's NOT en-suite but mearly a shower and a basin in the room. The shower unit is not powerful enough to supply hot water, the towel rail is hanging off the sink and there is no shelf to put toiletries. The tv and wiring were hanging off the wall and i really don't know how they can call it and price it as luxury.

The base of the shower unti is un-finished as are the tiles. The kettle/tea services area, the plug doesn't reach the socket. You have to put the kettle on the floor. There is a window which is blacked out because there is no view other than a brick wall.

There is no wardrobe and the bedside lockers/tables were in need of attention as the drawers didn't open.

The bedding was clean and the breakfast ok. In all, i wouldn't stay there again because they really can't it a hotel. In a word - AWFUL.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank LesterAndrew
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2010

I had the unfortunate experience of staying at this so called hotel in February 2009. I was in Manchester visiting some friends who were having a party in the area. I was checked in at the bar by the bar staff with music so loud I could not hear what he was saying. When I got to my room I could not believe what I was seeing (third world countries would have better facilities) the room was disgusting, unclean, stained duvet cover, dirty cups and saucers, toilet fittings hanging off the wall and smelled mouldy.
I complained to the owner a Mr Beswick and was told if I didnt like it I could go elsewhere. It was late at night and didnt fancy walking round Manchester looking for a room.
I did not get to sleep with the doors banging all night and the damp smell coming from the shared bathroom and toilet was making me feel sick.
As for the breakfast I passed as it was the greasiest muck I have ever see.
I would not even recommend this dump to the rats in the canal opposite.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends

clean towel, soap & shampoo

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
jayjo73
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2009

We stayed in this hotel, when I booked I was not informed that the anexe is no longer part of the hotel. So we were put into the so called hotel above the bar. This was not en-suite which i had espically requsted. The room was disgusting and dirty. There was a single and double- however the double would only sleep one as there was a huge dent in the right hand side. After a two night stay i have about a hundred flea bites everywere. The general standard of hygiene was awful. There were two showers but only one worked. The tiles were cracked and cut my partners feet. The floor was constantly wet from the toilet and shower leaking. There was a set of towels in the bathroom which were not changed and were damp and stunk. These towels were for use for residents of the six rooms- gross. The only good thing I can say is the breakfast was nice. The whole hotel needs a referb. Do not be lulled by the excellent location- go to premier lodge or the ibis for a couple of quid more- really wish i had done!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jayjo73
hull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

wow, everyone seems to really hate the Rembrandt. we stayed there one night when we were going to a concert and even though it was a bit shabby everything about the hotel generally was fine. proces seemed reasonable to me, perhaps because i am used to the prices of bed and breakfasts in york. Management were very helpful when a cash machine ate my card then turned off. they let me use their phone and gave us some free drinks. noise outside was not loud enough to keep us awake and overall i was very satisfied.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)