“A Nice Surprise”

1847 Manchester
Ranked #120 of 2,242 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$10 - US$39
Cuisines: British, Healthy
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Entrance on Booth Street
Transit: Tram Stops: Mosley St or St Peters Square
Description: Manchester city centres only Vegetarian restaurant, open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner. Our kitchen is headed by Roman Labat with menus inspired by British classics with a twist. Head Chef Sam Morgan
Brisbane, Australia
“A Nice Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2014

If I had just rocked up to the door of this restaurant I probably would have chosen to not eat there. However, this restaurant came recommended to me and I checked out their website beforehand. Without a doubt, the food was of a very high quality with many interesting and unique tastes. Presentation was artful, wait-staff were friendly and helpful, and I was surprised that the three dishes I ordered satisfied my appetite.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful New Menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2014

I've been here a few times before, but got an email to say they had a new menu and new I had to try it! The 'first date' is absolutely to die for; I had taken a friend who has never visited a vegetarian restaurant, and she was converted before the first course even arrived! The service is faultless, friendly and knowledgeable. They even managed to accommodate my allergy to nuts - not always easy in a vegetarian restaurant! The portions are the perfect size to ensure that you have just enough room for the fabulous desserts! Honest perfection. I love it.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

1 Thank Jessica P
Oldham, United Kingdom
“Quality above quantity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

One meat eater, one vegetarian, and one vegan decided to visit this restaurant. We had the 'first date menu' -vegetarian and vegan and were not disappointed. Whilst the portions are not large, at the end of the meal we were surprisingly full. This is not run of the mill food, but imaginative and if you are someone who likes to try something different, this is the place to go - I know we will be returning once the seasonal menu changes.

• Visited July 2014
northwest england
“Brilliantly presented food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We had the "first date" menu plus an extra dish between us. The food is amazing quality, explained and described in detail by the waiting on staff. The beer battered halloumi is out of this world. As it's kind of nouvelle cuisine dishes, the portions aren't massive and I have a ravenous appetite but my girlfriend was full at the end. Great choice of cocktails too (they do them half price 5-7 I think, which I wish we'd noticed when we walked past at half 6 to get a pint in a boozer down the street before our booking).

Easily the best vegetarian food I have ever ordered.

• Visited August 2014
“Great service but disappointed with the food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Couldn't fault the service but disappointed with the food. Had high hopes from the taster menu at £36 each for 6 courses - I am vegetarian, the other half isn't but was looking forward to being convinced by really good veggie food - but the only standout dish was the halloumi cheese, others looked amazing but just didn't wow us in taste. Even the dessert (baked yoghurt) tasted too cheesy and not sweet enough - and I love cheese! Expected to be full by the time we'd eaten 6 courses too, and we weren't. Restaurant was smaller than we expected which isn't a problem in itself but when it got busy later into our meal there wasn't a lot of room to walk around to get to the loo. Service was great though, staff explain the menu and tell you what's on each dish when they bring it to you and were very attentive. And the wine was reasonably priced. But for the money we spent (c. £100 including wine and a tip) we just weren't impressed enough with the food so left disappointed.

3 Thank Karen S