“Fun for all!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ashton House Hostel
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Fun for all!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Fun for all! Stayed in the hostel last night (Saturday) and not only is the hostel great and the beds comfy as clouds (comfier maybe!) the receptionist was really fun, fun as a clown (funner maybe!). Her name was Rebecca (redhead) and she was so helpful whenever we asked for help. She even raced us down the street when we asked her too, thats pretty good service if you ask me. Really recommend this hostel, the other staff were nice as well. Fun for all!

I repeat, fun for all.

Jack and Jamie and Ben

Room Tip: We liked it as a group of 24 years, but would probably avoid the big room on a saturday as people co...
2 Thank Jack B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

This hostel is good value for money, clean, reliable - and have really friendly staff - which is priceless! I would recommend to people on a budget who want to stay in Manchester city centre. This place is probably about five minute walk from the Arndale Centre and Market Street.

Room Tip: I would recommend to people on a budget who want to stay in Manchester city centre.
1 Thank cragadoo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Initially I had no problem with Ashton House Hotel. I stayed in a 24 bed room and it was very basic accommodation but fine, you get what you paid for. There was no plug sockets in the room meaning if you wanted to charge your phone you had to risk it being stolen from the communal dining area. The showers have this weird arrangement where instead of cubicles you have glass doors meaning you get a lovely view of your fellow guests in their birthday suits. Additionally, the locks on the toilet doors didn't work.

All of this would have been OK if it wasn't for checkout. When I checked in I left a deposit for a key card. When I checked out I was initially snarled at for having the temerity to want to leave. When the receptionist finally did check us out, she didn't give back the deposit for my key card. She said they had no record of taking it. She made no attempt to resolve the issue and refused to return the deposit. It was only £5 which is not the end of the world but it was the manner in which it was dealt with. I don't expect high level customer service at this sort of establishment but something better than outright hostility would be a start.

I will end this by saying that I have never stayed anywhere before that has moved me to write a bad review before. So well done Ashton House!

1 Thank RobertE1490
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived at Ashton House and were initially impressed with the decor. I proceeded to the desk and told the lady that I had a booking under the name ____. She checked her computer and said, whilst staring blankly at the screen "It's not in the system...". I showed her the confirmation email I had received on my iPhone, and she found my booking, saying "It is in the system but not as a Double. Let me see what I can do for you."

She took us to our room which was on the ground floor, with a lovely view of the busy road and footpath outside! When she left us alone in the room, I tried to close the blinds, but they were broken. Everyone had a perfect view of our room, and EVERYTHING that went on in there. The room was LITERALLY a bedroom. Not even a basic sink! Just a bed, and a bedside table. I asked the lady on reception if towels were provided, and she said "No, sorry", pointing us to a sign, explaining that we could hire one for £3! Since we were on a very tight budget, we decided we would wait until we got home to shower. We went to our room and switched on the TV whilst getting ready to go out. Literally ONE channel worked - Top 40 music. Eurgh!

We went out in Manchester, and had a great time. We came back to the hostel and went to sleep in our street-light-lit bedroom. I woke up at about 6am, thirsty and dehydrated (I am diabetic). I went down to where I was told the kitchen was, and the door was locked. I went to reception and asked the guy if he had a drink of water, because I was dehydrated. He had a quick look around and said "Sorry, I've got no cups mate". Luckily, there were two drunk gentlemen at the desk, and one of them finished his bottle of water and handed it to me. I was then told by the receptionist to go into the TOILETS - which reeked of stale urine - and refill the waterbottle from the taps. Lovely stuff! I went back to bed.

We got up and dressed before checkout time, and went to the desk feeling disappointed. I waited for the girl behind the desk to ask me if I enjoyed my stay, because I honestly didn't. She didn't ask. I gave her the room key, and nothing was said. No thank you. No good bye. Joke! You'd be better off committing a small crime and spending a night in a cell. I'm sure they'd have cups at least!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank leep_eers
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

First things first, this is not a hostel; it is a halfway house. I know this as there were stacks of letters on the reception counter that i saw some people leafing through while we were being checked in. Outside there were always people loitering, smoking fags and generally looking down on their luck.

Staff were vacant, listless, apathetic and ignorant.

We stayed in a six bed dorm with one tiny window and an easily accessible fuseboard. The toilets are unlockable: one has a lock that won't line up with the hole, the other simply doesn't have a lock. The sink didn't have soap to wash after using the toilets. Showers were so disgusting we all used a shower in a can.

We were kept awake by some of the residents who sat outside our room in a small hallway drinking from 04:30 until we left at 09:30. There was a brief lull in their laughing, shouting and music playing around 07:30 when they went and got more beer. Nobody from the hostel bothered to get them to stop.

The beds were like sleeping on a bag full of conkers. I'm pretty sure the sheets were clean but i'm going to go and get myself a hepatitis check from the doctor just to be sure.

Location was pretty good, a two minute walk from the Printworks. Although I would rather have a two hour walk to the Printworks than ever countenance staying in this place again.

Room Tip: The best room is in the Ibis on Portland street.
5 Thank Theguyoverthere
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Excellent location!

But.

I stayed in a 24-bedded dorm with a friend of mine. We're both girls, and so we were put in a small pod with two bunk beds and a curtain separating it from the rest of the room, which was nice. But this huge 24-person room was located in the basement, and there were no windows. Only a door that led out to an alley, which obviously didn't feel safe to leave open. So the smell in there can't even be described. Mind you, the whole hostel smelt quite mouldy and damp and dirty.

The staff weren't very helpful either. We asked for the bulb in our reading light to be changed, but as they were refurbishing this part of the room in the near future, they were not chaning any of the light bulbs there. (!?) When we checked out and asked to store our luggage, we were just given a key to a luggage room, no questions asked. Didn't feel very safe.

Finally, I called them Thursday morning and asked them to cancel the final two nights of my stay, which was Friday and Saturday. They said I'd have to pay for Friday, and I asked if it wasn't a 24-hour cancellation policy, but they said no. So we figured since we had to pay for Friday anyway, we might as well stay there. Friday late morning we left the hotel, and the receptionist was surprised to see us. She asked if we hadn't spoken to the manager yesterday, and we said no, why would we have? Oh, just because the manager had advised this receptionist last night that we were entitled to get Friday refunded as well, as there was indeed a 24-hour cancellation policy. THANKS! Great communication skills, made a real effort to convey the message. Much appreciated. Not returning. Ever.

Also, not super cheap. Not good value. The only thing I can think of, is that all their other rooms were ten times better than the one we stayed in. But how likely is that? At least they had windows, I hope.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the basement dorm!!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Is this the best hostel in all of Manchester? It's the only one I've stayed in, so yes! It's located ideally in the city centre, next to the MEN arena, a spoons, a ladbrokes and around 50-60 greggs.
The rooms are cheap but tasty and the showers are peachy. You know?

The windows in our room were all shaded in like some kind of prison. But this was a good thing! Preventing the mouldy sun from hitting us in the morning after one too many bakewell bombs the night before. The staff at reception were very welcoming, although not single :(

Oh yeah, and did I mention this place has wi-fi? FREE wi-fi?? Ashton house hostel is no joke. You stay, yes?

3 Thank cityb0y66