“You get what you pay for”

and 1 more site!
Ashton House Hostel
York
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This was a one off stay to end a night out in Manchester to celebrate a friends birthday. About 8 of us stayed in total. We wanted somewhere where a lot of us could fit into one room but at the same time we wanted the place to be cheap. So our host, the birthday guy himself decided to book Ashton house. I have to say I read a lot of reviews on here and saw a lot of negative feedback which did really make me worry about staying here. But I have to say, for the price and for a hostel you shouldn't be expecting the ritz. We got there, check in was straightforward the receptionist took us straight down into room 28 where we were sharing with 5 others even though there were 24 beds so the room wasn't packed out. The room itself didn't seem too bad, the bedding was very clean and new smelling and the room itself seemed like it had been recently re-decorated and there was a lounge area provided with ample facilities. For a one night stay for a few hours after being out, and for the price you pay it's perfect. But I can see staying longer than one short night being a problem, none of us used the showers so couldn't comment on that.
To conclude, you pay a budget rate for a bed here. It's good for a short stay, but don't expect a top class hotel experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank bloomfield20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed 15 December 2013

After struggling to find a hotel around manchester due to Christmas etc for our night out, we eventually came across the Ashton house hostel.
We arrived excited to drop our bags off and start shopping, when we met the male receptionist, he had no idea of my booking, I had printed off my booking in case, thankfully, he didn't seem to have a bloody clue about anything, which straight away I thought we were heading for trouble. It says you can book in at 3 pm, we arrived just before and got told to go away and come back. We waited outside for 10 minutes, only to go back at 3pm and wait another 10/15mins before somebody could tell him if our room was ready.
We had to leave £5 deposit for our room key.
Omg!!! Here's when the fun begins
We booked a 4 bed with shared bathroom. We got to the room ( number 218) and
Bloody hell what a hell hole!
Where do I start. The floors were mucky, only one little light worked in one part of the room, so my friend had to get ready in our part ( the room was if it was 2 small bedrooms knocked through with a door way separating us), the walls were absolutely minging, bogeys and blood stuck on the wall to which I wretched good and proper! It was disgusting. My bedding was ripped, I turned my pillow over to check the cleanliness, it looked like it had been slept in and just shooked up and the bed re made. My pillow cases were completely torn and frayed on the other side. The mirror was as dusty as hell. The bathroom was abhorrent! There was no flush on the toilet, so we had to use a tampon to push it down through the part where the flush would have been in order for the flush to bloody well work! Maybe a bit too much info given there, but I'm seriously giving you all a true vision and explanation of this crappy pit we had to stay in. I don't think the shower has ever been cleaned, every piece of grout was covered in mould / mildew, have these people never heard of cillit bang!! The bathroom ceiling above the shower had damp and was green in patches.
The only nice thing I have to say about the Ashton house Hostel is that we had clean towels, so they were made to good use by putting them over our beds so we actually had something clean to sleep on.
On leaving the next day, we tidied up, although nothing was barely touched , however my friend was just checking to ensure we hadn't forgotten anything, only to find on the floor at the end of my bed was some dusty socks, somebody's dusty hat and random litter.
I appreciate it is budget accommodation, but there no excuse for basic hygiene! How on earth these other people can say its clean! Yes, the staff were friendly, and yes, it is literally down the road from the print works, Arndale shopping centre and only round the corner from Victoria station, but for FFs nobody should have to experience any of this when staying somewhere. As you can imagine there will be no way in hell I will set foot in the s&@hole ever again. A call to the environmental health board will be done so they can see for themselves.

Room Tip: Don't even bother booking!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sumfin2013

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Fun for all! Stayed in the hostel last night (Saturday) and not only is the hostel great and the beds comfy as clouds (comfier maybe!) the receptionist was really fun, fun as a clown (funner maybe!). Her name was Rebecca (redhead) and she was so helpful whenever we asked for help. She even raced us down the street when we asked her too, thats pretty good service if you ask me. Really recommend this hostel, the other staff were nice as well. Fun for all!

I repeat, fun for all.

Jack and Jamie and Ben

Room Tip: We liked it as a group of 24 years, but would probably avoid the big room on a saturday as people co...
2 Thank Jack B
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This hostel is good value for money, clean, reliable - and have really friendly staff - which is priceless! I would recommend to people on a budget who want to stay in Manchester city centre. This place is probably about five minute walk from the Arndale Centre and Market Street.

Room Tip: I would recommend to people on a budget who want to stay in Manchester city centre.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cragadoo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Initially I had no problem with Ashton House Hotel. I stayed in a 24 bed room and it was very basic accommodation but fine, you get what you paid for. There was no plug sockets in the room meaning if you wanted to charge your phone you had to risk it being stolen from the communal dining area. The showers have this weird arrangement where instead of cubicles you have glass doors meaning you get a lovely view of your fellow guests in their birthday suits. Additionally, the locks on the toilet doors didn't work.

All of this would have been OK if it wasn't for checkout. When I checked in I left a deposit for a key card. When I checked out I was initially snarled at for having the temerity to want to leave. When the receptionist finally did check us out, she didn't give back the deposit for my key card. She said they had no record of taking it. She made no attempt to resolve the issue and refused to return the deposit. It was only £5 which is not the end of the world but it was the manner in which it was dealt with. I don't expect high level customer service at this sort of establishment but something better than outright hostility would be a start.

I will end this by saying that I have never stayed anywhere before that has moved me to write a bad review before. So well done Ashton House!

1 Thank RobertE1490
Melbourne
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My girlfriend and I arrived at Ashton House and were initially impressed with the decor. I proceeded to the desk and told the lady that I had a booking under the name ____. She checked her computer and said, whilst staring blankly at the screen "It's not in the system...". I showed her the confirmation email I had received on my iPhone, and she found my booking, saying "It is in the system but not as a Double. Let me see what I can do for you."

She took us to our room which was on the ground floor, with a lovely view of the busy road and footpath outside! When she left us alone in the room, I tried to close the blinds, but they were broken. Everyone had a perfect view of our room, and EVERYTHING that went on in there. The room was LITERALLY a bedroom. Not even a basic sink! Just a bed, and a bedside table. I asked the lady on reception if towels were provided, and she said "No, sorry", pointing us to a sign, explaining that we could hire one for £3! Since we were on a very tight budget, we decided we would wait until we got home to shower. We went to our room and switched on the TV whilst getting ready to go out. Literally ONE channel worked - Top 40 music. Eurgh!

We went out in Manchester, and had a great time. We came back to the hostel and went to sleep in our street-light-lit bedroom. I woke up at about 6am, thirsty and dehydrated (I am diabetic). I went down to where I was told the kitchen was, and the door was locked. I went to reception and asked the guy if he had a drink of water, because I was dehydrated. He had a quick look around and said "Sorry, I've got no cups mate". Luckily, there were two drunk gentlemen at the desk, and one of them finished his bottle of water and handed it to me. I was then told by the receptionist to go into the TOILETS - which reeked of stale urine - and refill the waterbottle from the taps. Lovely stuff! I went back to bed.

We got up and dressed before checkout time, and went to the desk feeling disappointed. I waited for the girl behind the desk to ask me if I enjoyed my stay, because I honestly didn't. She didn't ask. I gave her the room key, and nothing was said. No thank you. No good bye. Joke! You'd be better off committing a small crime and spending a night in a cell. I'm sure they'd have cups at least!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank leep_eers
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

First things first, this is not a hostel; it is a halfway house. I know this as there were stacks of letters on the reception counter that i saw some people leafing through while we were being checked in. Outside there were always people loitering, smoking fags and generally looking down on their luck.

Staff were vacant, listless, apathetic and ignorant.

We stayed in a six bed dorm with one tiny window and an easily accessible fuseboard. The toilets are unlockable: one has a lock that won't line up with the hole, the other simply doesn't have a lock. The sink didn't have soap to wash after using the toilets. Showers were so disgusting we all used a shower in a can.

We were kept awake by some of the residents who sat outside our room in a small hallway drinking from 04:30 until we left at 09:30. There was a brief lull in their laughing, shouting and music playing around 07:30 when they went and got more beer. Nobody from the hostel bothered to get them to stop.

The beds were like sleeping on a bag full of conkers. I'm pretty sure the sheets were clean but i'm going to go and get myself a hepatitis check from the doctor just to be sure.

Location was pretty good, a two minute walk from the Printworks. Although I would rather have a two hour walk to the Printworks than ever countenance staying in this place again.

Room Tip: The best room is in the Ibis on Portland street.
5 Thank Theguyoverthere