Ashton House Hostel
  • Room Service
US$119
US$107
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$156
US$112
US$96
  • Free Internet
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have stayed in hostels in the UK and all over Europe - this is by far my worst experience.
If you book a hostel you cannot expect luxury - however I do expect a basic warm clean room.

I booked a private room for one night for the price of £70(!!) which was later to reduce to £50, due to a booking mix up, but it was still completely overpriced.

The room was freezing, the shower was rusty and dirty, the mattress had seen better days and the stains on the carpet were very questionable.

All in all an awful experience – that I would not recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kat R
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This was a one off stay to end a night out in Manchester to celebrate a friends birthday. About 8 of us stayed in total. We wanted somewhere where a lot of us could fit into one room but at the same time we wanted the place to be cheap. So our host, the birthday guy himself decided to book Ashton house. I have to say I read a lot of reviews on here and saw a lot of negative feedback which did really make me worry about staying here. But I have to say, for the price and for a hostel you shouldn't be expecting the ritz. We got there, check in was straightforward the receptionist took us straight down into room 28 where we were sharing with 5 others even though there were 24 beds so the room wasn't packed out. The room itself didn't seem too bad, the bedding was very clean and new smelling and the room itself seemed like it had been recently re-decorated and there was a lounge area provided with ample facilities. For a one night stay for a few hours after being out, and for the price you pay it's perfect. But I can see staying longer than one short night being a problem, none of us used the showers so couldn't comment on that.
To conclude, you pay a budget rate for a bed here. It's good for a short stay, but don't expect a top class hotel experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank bloomfield20
Reviewed 15 December 2013

After struggling to find a hotel around manchester due to Christmas etc for our night out, we eventually came across the Ashton house hostel.
We arrived excited to drop our bags off and start shopping, when we met the male receptionist, he had no idea of my booking, I had printed off my booking in case, thankfully, he didn't seem to have a bloody clue about anything, which straight away I thought we were heading for trouble. It says you can book in at 3 pm, we arrived just before and got told to go away and come back. We waited outside for 10 minutes, only to go back at 3pm and wait another 10/15mins before somebody could tell him if our room was ready.
We had to leave £5 deposit for our room key.
Omg!!! Here's when the fun begins
We booked a 4 bed with shared bathroom. We got to the room ( number 218) and
Bloody hell what a hell hole!
Where do I start. The floors were mucky, only one little light worked in one part of the room, so my friend had to get ready in our part ( the room was if it was 2 small bedrooms knocked through with a door way separating us), the walls were absolutely minging, bogeys and blood stuck on the wall to which I wretched good and proper! It was disgusting. My bedding was ripped, I turned my pillow over to check the cleanliness, it looked like it had been slept in and just shooked up and the bed re made. My pillow cases were completely torn and frayed on the other side. The mirror was as dusty as hell. The bathroom was abhorrent! There was no flush on the toilet, so we had to use a tampon to push it down through the part where the flush would have been in order for the flush to bloody well work! Maybe a bit too much info given there, but I'm seriously giving you all a true vision and explanation of this crappy pit we had to stay in. I don't think the shower has ever been cleaned, every piece of grout was covered in mould / mildew, have these people never heard of cillit bang!! The bathroom ceiling above the shower had damp and was green in patches.
The only nice thing I have to say about the Ashton house Hostel is that we had clean towels, so they were made to good use by putting them over our beds so we actually had something clean to sleep on.
On leaving the next day, we tidied up, although nothing was barely touched , however my friend was just checking to ensure we hadn't forgotten anything, only to find on the floor at the end of my bed was some dusty socks, somebody's dusty hat and random litter.
I appreciate it is budget accommodation, but there no excuse for basic hygiene! How on earth these other people can say its clean! Yes, the staff were friendly, and yes, it is literally down the road from the print works, Arndale shopping centre and only round the corner from Victoria station, but for FFs nobody should have to experience any of this when staying somewhere. As you can imagine there will be no way in hell I will set foot in the s&@hole ever again. A call to the environmental health board will be done so they can see for themselves.

Room Tip: Don't even bother booking!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sumfin2013
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Fun for all! Stayed in the hostel last night (Saturday) and not only is the hostel great and the beds comfy as clouds (comfier maybe!) the receptionist was really fun, fun as a clown (funner maybe!). Her name was Rebecca (redhead) and she was so helpful whenever we asked for help. She even raced us down the street when we asked her too, thats pretty good service if you ask me. Really recommend this hostel, the other staff were nice as well. Fun for all!

I repeat, fun for all.

Jack and Jamie and Ben

Room Tip: We liked it as a group of 24 years, but would probably avoid the big room on a saturday as people coming back from nights out etc (if you aren't doing the same)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jack B
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This hostel is good value for money, clean, reliable - and have really friendly staff - which is priceless! I would recommend to people on a budget who want to stay in Manchester city centre. This place is probably about five minute walk from the Arndale Centre and Market Street.

Room Tip: I would recommend to people on a budget who want to stay in Manchester city centre.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends