“DO NOT COME HERE, DISGUSTING”

Ashton House Hostel
Leicester, United Kingdom
“DO NOT COME HERE, DISGUSTING”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I have never wrote a review whilst at a place but this place is so bad I'm lying awake at 9 am in my bed as I have been for the last two hours because the staff are blasting there radio and doing what sounds like building work outside our room. We came for a cheap night out and a seven bed place for £115 which is relatively cheap but I plead with you don't scrimp to come to this place. Our room stinks of weed/ mould. This place is damp and a definite health hazard. Our bathroom had mould everywhere and blood on the soap dispenser. I really just want to go home now and have a really good shower

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Katrina K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked an 8 bed room for a one night stay with a group of friends.

Good points
Check in was fuss free & we had a choice of 2 rooms that were both ready early.
Place was generally well maintained with all the facilities you need
Excellent location for city centre.
It was cheap...very cheap!!

Bad points
The room was tiny with no room for 4 people, let alone 8-4 bunk beds in a cupboard. We were spread out in the hall straightening hair etc!!
One ladder was facing the wall and another had no guard rails on the top bunk!!
The window in the room would not open & the radiator blasted out heat all night - this was also right up against a bunk bed - it was only luck the girl in that bunk did not burn herself!!!! We were certainly cosy!!

The showers & loos on our floor were clean and well maintained - tip - the hairdryer in the shower room costs 50p & it dried 5 of our hairs in one sitting - well worth it to avoid the sauna effect in the broom cupboard.

Anyway.......you get what you pay for!! I won't be rushing back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We booked an 8 bed room for a one night stay as we were on a girls trip. The lady on reception was brilliant - allowed us to check in early which was fantastic and offered us a choice of rooms.

The room was TINY. 4 sets of bunk beds around the walls and a tiny bit of floor in the middle. I was on a top bunk and the ladder was against the wall.......not massively helpful! We also couldn't open the window and it got hotter and hotter.........

Showers and toilets on the ground floor were clean, and the showers were lovely and powerful so a big thumbs up there.

You totally get what you pay for!

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed for a weekend and it was perfect for our needs: convenient location (central), friendly staff and no fuss. Rebecca (reception) was a star, the room was a good size and it was ridiculously cheap.

If you don't expect the Hilton you won't be disappointed. Could use a second pillow, though.

Room Tip: Temperamental hot water in bathrooms on lower floor when we stayed. Just walk upstairs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sam T
Edinburgh
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Staff was unbelievably friendly, helpful and considerate. The large dorm rooms had separate compartments which gave a genuine feel of privacy. The only thing I could think of as an improvement might be: more windows/daylight.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I made the mistake of booking this thinking private room, lucky for me I could upgrade to private as I was alone , at £42 per nite it did have clean nice all you need for a good nite stay, be warned to use tv remote there is a £20 fee and £5 for key card, it is refunded on departure , I believe the dorm thing is ok if with a large party that you know, but I would have felt unsafe and would not have slept if I knew a stranger were beside me, in next bed, I will look at small print in future, but everything turned out ok in the end, enjoyed my stay and would book again in private room x

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Toriu
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed for 2 weeks and could not fault the place. Good atmosphere at weekends, cleaned everyday, close to the city (5 minutes walk, max!) Rebecca, John and the others all do a grand job! I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Stay Inn Manchester
Crowne Plaza Manchester City Centre
Hatter's Hostel
Hatter's Hostel
#41 of 77 in Manchester

Been to Ashton House Hostel? Share your experiences!