“Notch above basic”

Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Notch above basic”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Was on a working trip. Check-in was efficient, room was quite large (L-shaped). Open wardrobe, two long length mirrors, one before door exit and one in bathroom, then a smaller wall hung mirror too. Hairdryer, body wash and shampoo provided. Room was across from the lift so expected some noise but this was minimal, perhaps because it was mid-week. Bed was comfortable and it was all very clean and smelled fresh. What did wake me up however was the air conditioning during the night. Tea and coffee were plentiful, but no extra touches such as biscuits. Handy for the tram system and maybe a 10 minute walk to the town. Cooked, self serve breakfast was plentiful and decent enough. Seating at bar is a bit haphazard but barman was pleasant.Asked for wake up call but this didn't happen. All in all, nothing to write home about but nothing really bad either.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
JurysGM, General Manager at Jurys Inn Manchester, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Dear guest,

My apologies that you didn't receive your morning wake up call. My Front office manager will check our automated system to ensure a similar incident doesn't repeat itself.

Thank you for the kind comments regarding our barman, I will ensure he is recognised for this as i am sure he will be delighted to receive this feedback.

When you are visiting Manchester next, please feel free to contact me directly

Email : chris_broderick@jurysinns.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

First stay in a Jury's Hotel and booked primarily as was cheapest available at short notice when coming to Manchester for the Robbie Wiliams concert at the Ethiad as I knew we wouldn't be in there long enough to warrant spending a fortune. First impressions were a lot better than expected and the check in process was straightforward really friendly, helpful and the added bonus of being given a voucher offering 10% off food and drink in the bar and being advised they were opening late that night. The room again a lot nicer than I was expecting with comfy beds and nice toileteries as standard although did notice that the bathroom was quite dusty which really became apparent after a shower when the mirror and toilet cistern revealed a thick coating of dust in the heat and moisture. Being in Manchester just for the evening for the concert we decided to take advantage of the voucher and ate a meal in the bar which was on a par both cost and taste wise with many chain-type eateries and they were very accomodating of a change of meal request after the order had originally been placed.

The weather did what Manchester is famous for so after the concert we decided to come straight back to the hotel to take advantage of the late opening bar and discount voucher - wished we hadn't though as despite the hotel being very busy and everyone getting a voucher to encourage business there was only one member of bar staff on so it took over half an hour to get served so we only bought two rounds. These both contained wrong drinks but it would have been morning if we'd tried to get them corrected and despite saying that we had a discount voucher when we looked at our receipts no discount had been given but again it would have taken longer to sort out than the discount was worth

In summary for a budget weekend Jury's delivered and with a little bit of forward planning for a busy weekend this could be a really good hotel.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor and a room on left hand side or back so that you can get a view of the canal...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,

I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with your overall experience. My apologies that there was a delay to your bar service following the concert on the night of our stay. My operation managers will review staffing levels for future event dates to ensure we are fully prepared for the expected demand.

When you are visiting Manchester next, please feel free to contact me directly as I would be delighted to manage your reservation ensuring your are allocated one of our preferred rooms with a complimentary superior package.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed on business for 3 nights, having found I picked the wrong week for my training because Robbie Williams was in town during the same week. I was pleasantly surprised with both rooms I was in (I asked to move from the first room because the A/C wasn't working). One room was front facing and was quite noisy, but only because I had to open the window due to the A/C fault. In the evening the room was quiet, and I had no trouble sleeping. The second room was inner facing onto a quiet courtyard and I'd certainly ask for a room facing this way in future.

The hotel was quiet busy, but the restaurant and bar were never overly busy except for one morning when finding a table for breakfast was slightly challenging. The breakfast range was impressive, well cooked and plenty of variety.

The evening menu I sampled was restricted to the bar, because I chose to watch the various sports events the showed there, but the food was excellent and varied enough for several nights. Didn't feel it was over priced for what was provided. Generally a nice pleasant stay, and with wifi in the room, there really was nothing I'd complain about. (Docked one off rating for no A/C in initial room)

Room Tip: Inner courtyard seems the quietest side.
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay, especially at breakfast and during you evening meal. These are two areas where we have made changes to the offering recently and its great to hear that these improvements have been well accepted.

My apologies that you experienced issues with your bedrooms air conditioning. We are currently installing a new state of the art cooling and heating system to replace this, which will offer the very best performance for our guests.

When you are visiting Manchester next, please feel free to contact me directly so I can ensure you are allocated one of our preferred rooms with a complimentary superior package.

Kessingland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

After a great stay and visit to the Jury's Inn in Liverpool I booked to stay at the one in Manchester as myself and some friends were going to a concert. The one in Liverpool was great and the beds were so comfy.

It was great to find the beds were the same and very comfortable offering us all a really good night sleep. The hotel is in a handy location, oposite the Bridgewater Hall and 2 minutes from the GMEX as well as a short walk into the city or a very short taxi ride to the MEN. It's location is great.

We had a triple room, fine for our purpose and for an overnight stay, but if 3 of you were sharing the room for a few days it would be too small.

The hotel seemed like it needed a bit of a face lift and all thestaff bar one that we spoke to couldn't understand English very well so it was hard asking them questions.

The room was small but clean and bright with air con, hair dryer, tea and coffee etc. A handy hotel just not as other Jurys Inn standards.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
DeputyGM_JurysInn, Manager at Jurys Inn Manchester, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Dear Kayem26,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay,

Having reviewed your feedback with members of my management team, we have already begun to use this feedback as a key measurement on where improvements can be made. I have also arranged to meet with the Deputy GM in Liverpool to discuss our standards and see where they are excelling, this will help to provide consistency throughout Jurys Inn.

I do hope you will allow me the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, I am confident you will see a noticeable improvement from your last stay.

With Kind Regards

Burnley, Lancs.
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We booked this hotel 4 days before we were due in Manchester for Saturdays Robbie Williams concert. The hotel is positioned well for tram travel around Manchester.

Our room was good and we had a good, comfortable nights sleep. The bar was ok but very expensive, £6.80 for a glass of wine and the bar staff (or lack of them) were very slow. The hotel had an offer on, if you showed them your Robbie Williams tickets you got 10% off your food and drinks which was a good idea.

We had breakfast which was excellent, an all you can eat buffet which set us up for the day.

All in all a good hotel with pleasant and helpful reception staff and I think if we had booked earlier we could have got better value because we paid a lot of money for the bed and breakfast. We would definately stay there again but I would not pay that price again just for bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms have a fairly standard view.......Manchester city center.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear AandAinBurnley,

Thank you for writing your recent review.

I am delighted to learn of your experience and will ensure this is passed on to the team here. Thank you for the kind note about breakfast, as this has been a focus area for the restaurant team.

We do set our rates at a competitive level in comparison to other Hotels in Manchester, however, when key events such as Robbie Williams occur it can increase these somewhat. When you are visiting Manchester next, please do not hesitate to contact me directly, as I would be more than happy to assist with your reservation.

With Kind Regards,

England
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Noise in city centre hotels is always an issue, but there are things hotels can do to mitigate the effect on their guests. Firstly, they can make sure air conditioning units are serviced and so not unbearably loud, or failing to cool, so that guests need to open windows. Oh dear. All night parties in neighbouring flats, nightclub goers leaving at 3 am, garbage trucks at 5...all difficult to mitigate. Bt it really isn't acceptable to then wake all guests up at 8 with works and very loud workmen in the hotel corridors from 8 am.

My room had a blown bulb in the overhead light, a slipping loo seat as well as dodgy aircon. Otherwise the room was nice, though the internet access was a rip off, and the wardrobe ibnly half length, frustrating if you have a dress to hang up.

I wouldn't go back.

Dear Seantig,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay, I am hugely disappointed to learn of the shortfalls you experienced while staying with us.

Having reviewed your feedback with members of my management team, we have already begun to use this feedback as a key measurement on where improvements can be made. We are currently in the process of upgrading our Air Conditioning Unit within the Hotel to eradicate any existing noise the old one creates and reduce the need to open the window. This I believe was the noise you experienced in the morning, which I am truly sorry for. I have since met with the contracting team and have implemented strict policies to ensure subsequent disturbance is not experienced by our guests.

With Kind Regards,

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Booked this hotel as I was attending a conference at Manchester Central and this hotel was available via the organisers website and the hotel was very close to the conference centre. First impressions were not great with a very gloomy exterior. This impression was not improved by the foyer and reception area which receive little natural light and are poorly lit. The colour scheme further adds to the gloom. Check in was efficient with helpful staff.
My room was a reasonable size, clean with a small flat screen tv with freeview but again it was gloomy. There was no overhead lighting merely one light over a mirror, one floor lamp and wall mounted reading lamps. The cupboard was a weird arrangement With no door but simply a frame with hanging space and a shelf. There is no light by the cupboard so when the curtains are closed it is very difficult to see your clothes, the only way round this is to turn the light on in the bathroom and open the bathroom door.
The bathroom had some peculiar dirty beige coloured floor tiles which added to the gloom. There is an in bat shower which looks ok at first but if you want anything more than a super hot shower the water pressure drops to a trickle, not great.
There was tea and coffee making facilities but no biscuits. No niceties like wall art. Wifi is a complete rip off at £10 day, when the room costs over £100 how can they justify this.
Breakfast was ok and checkout was quick. Don't forget to factor in the cost of parking which even with the hotel discount was over £46.
So helpful staff but gloomy and expensive, there must be better options out there

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. Needless to say, I'm disappointed to hear that we failed to meet your expectations and would be very interested to discuss your experience in more detail, as we continue to look at ways in which we can improve our product and service. I would be grateful if you could contact me at your convenience on the details below.

On a more positive note, thank you for your kind comments regarding the front desk team. I will pass onto our team as they will be delighted to receive the feedback.

Tel: 0161 953 8888