“Good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

We have checked out today after a pleasant 2 night stay at the Jurys inn Manchester.
We felt this place is excellent value for money as it is a very central hotel for all the attractions in Manchester.
We had room 219 which was a disabled access room, we didn't need this but loved that it was a very big room and with a view facing an office building, which is usual for a Manchester City based hotel so that didn't bother us.
On our last night it was very noisy with people in the corridor. I did mention this at check out and the duty manager did come to speak to me personally and said he was very sorry for this.
He also promised to email me with details if I wanted to book again I could do so at the same rate but have a deluxe room. Which I thought was a really nice touch.. However I've not heard anything as yet so I look forward to hearing from you soon, so I can make arrangements to return.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

On first impressions, the reception is gorgeous, the staff were lovely, check in was very smooth.
The room was a standard size, and the beds were really comfy, and clean.
The bathroom was heading towards grotty. There was a crack in the sink and the shower curtain was weighted with magnets - which was great as it stopped the curtain touching you whilst showering. However - IT WAS MOULDY at the bottom - very unattractive.
There were 3 of us that stayed in a triple room but there were only 2 spare pillows, 2 hand towels, 2 bath towels - so the slimmest one got a hand towel!!
There were a few things missing that I would have expected in a hotel like this such as:
no shower cap
no iron/board - and when we called reception to order one - no one answered the phone
no pen & paper
None of it ruined our stay of course as we were on our works "do" - so it was perfectly placed for Cloud 23 in The Hilton then onto Castlefield for our meal.
Would I stay again - yeh probably, although I have stayed in Premier Inns before - for a lot less but the same standards.

Room Tip: don't go in the smoking rooms - they STINK
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JurysGM, General Manager at Jurys Inn Manchester City Centre, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your recent review. I am very grateful for your feedback, which will assist us in improving the service and product we provide.

I was disappointed to read that your recent stay at the hotel did not live up to the standards which we strive to deliver. It was especially concerning to learn that you experienced a poor degree of cleanliness and towel supplies in the hotel bathroom. This is unacceptable and I am truly sorry.

Having reviewed your feedback with members of my management team, we have already begun to use this feedback as a key measurement on where improvements can be made. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your feedback in more detail and would be grateful if you could contact me directly via email on chris_broderick@jurysinns.com

I do hope you will allow me the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, I am confident you will see a noticeable improvement from your last stay.

I look forward to hearing from you,

chris_broderick@jurysinns.com
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

This was an interesting experience. We checked in and asked for a quiet room. We were shown to a . . . shoe-box, on the third floor. Not only was it grim in a sort of dingy, hostel-type way, but the obviously sagging bed creaked and squealed as it was sat on. The type of old, tired bed you'd expect in a student doss. The oppressiveness of the room lit the touchpaper out of there.

We were then shown to another . . . box, but a relatively large one this time. Honestly? This hotel makes the Premiers feel luxurious by comparison. At least the Premier Inns attempt some sort of modern but pleasant atmosphere with reasonably jolly purple accessories, the inclusion of a couple of prints and clean, white walls. This . . . box... was just painted a very pale shade of babies' diarrhea, with clean but dull carpets and studiedly ugly-coloured curtains. There was the ubiquitous TV - too small for the size of the cave, and tea and coffee things, but the entire lack of atmosphere, soul or, heaven forbid, taste, was utterly dispiriting. The guy we saw trying to use the lifts later on had the right attitude - he was blind drunk and could have slept in the canal at the bottom of the hotel for all he'd've known. Me? I found it depressing.

We left to trawl the Manchester Christmas Market - mostly scattered concessions from a few European conglomerates staffed by Slavs pretending to be German - and returned after a lovely meal to find a man in our room getting undressed. He smiled sheepishly and said, "I wondered why there was a suitcase in the room!" before dressing and leaving. Apparently the computerised booking system had had a hiccup.

Getting ready for bed was a revelation. There was no central light, just a couple of side lamps over the bed, a lamp on the TV . . . shelf thing, with its switch on its cord and the bathroom light switch was located by the door (to the room - from the corridor outside). And there were no net curtains behind the things that passed for drapes at the window, so that the people in the apartment hutches across the canal some 30 feet away could have counted one's pubes, if they had the mind along with the opportunity. Oh - and the bedside lights did not turn off when they were turned off. They just continued to glow dully, casting a pale, morgue-like fluorescence from their tiny bulblets which are arranged in concentric circles... We had to remove the bulbs. And then remember to put them back in, fumbling in the dark in the morning because, unless you were up for a bit of pube-spotting, you couldn't open the curtains until you were dressed since there were no nets....

The bathroom - a massive tiled and horrible . . . box.. clean of grime, had curious fluffy bits rolling around here and there. No plug for the sink - but who would ever use one unless pricked by conscience about the ecological vandalism of just running the hot tap? The shower - a rain-forest type - was nice, but I had to sway from side to side to wet my face enough for a wash, the jets were so weak and widely spaced. The rest of me was completed with a rumba.

Good things? There was no light coming under the bedroom door. And the bedding, as the room, is very clean as well as the staff being pleasant. However, we decided against staying for breakfast. Had we not got a very cheap deal, I would have been scathing. As it is, I'd plump for the Premier, if I want an inexpensive but decent deal. They do it far better. Jury's Inn is really needing that imminent investment they are trumpeting. Don't pay full whack. You'll be somewhat annoyed.

Room Tip: Bounce a couple of times on the bed before accepting the room. And, if travelling solo, make sure yo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am really disappointed that you experienced issues during your stay and would be grateful if you could contact me in order to investigate further and resolve the situation.

Chris_broderick@jurysinns.com
Cumbria, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We stayed as a family of three and our experience at the Jury's Inn Manchester was perfect, the staff are friendly, helpful and the hotel has everything you need and is in an ideal location. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. The breakfast is worth every penny and I can't fault it. We will defiantly be staying in the Jury's Inn again in the future and more often.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your recent review.

I am delighted to receive such positive feedback and I will ensure this is passed on to the team and displayed in the staff areas.

If there anything else we can arrange to make your next stay more comfortable, please let me know

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

We were forced to stay here after a stressful flight to Edinburgh went awry, and were forced to land in Manchester. At £199 (breakfast not included) per room, we have never felt so ripped off in our lives. When we arrived, staff barely spoke or welcomed us. The room was cramped in comparison to what you would get in a Premier Inn or a Travelodge, and the double bed was small. There were no biscuits available, a box of tissues, dirty windows... the list goes on. Lighting was poor- there was no 'main light' you'd find in the centre of the ceiling, just 3 lamps. On departure we were not asked if we enjoyed our stay, simply asked what our room number was, followed by a "Thanks, bye."

I will never stay in a Jurys Inn again after this poor customer service, and rooms that in no way provide 'value for money'.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay at the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings during your stay.

It is especially disappointing that the welcome you received at front desk was not to the standard which we strive to deliver.

May I assure you that we value every guest that enters the hotel and the feedback about our staff is normally excellent, so I am disappointed to learn of your experience.

I have noted the issues raised and these will be addressed immediately with members of my senior management team, so together, we can review these standards in detail and ensure the relevant improvements are made going forward.

If there are any other aspects of your stay which you would like to discuss further please contact me by email on chris_broderick@jurysinns.com

WIRRAL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night to visit Xmas Markets. Room quite expensive 134.00 GBP with no breakfast for something that in no better than Ibis or Premier Inn. Clean and tidy, staff fine. Was woken at 3.30 in the morning by a load of drunks trying to find their room. Good location.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

My room was clean, comfortable and very good value. The staff were excellent - very friendly and helpful.
One criticism - the wifi charges were very high, and surely chains like this should be offering it free these days?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo