“Not perfect, but good value for money”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #22 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We spent a weekend in the Manchester Marriott V&A. It is a nice hotel, the good thing is that it lacks the typical big chain hotel feeling as it’s built into an old warehouse and the old structures like the wooden beams and the brick walls are visible throughout the building. But this also means that the ceiling is quite low and the windows in the room small. Apart from that the rooms offer standard Marriott comfort (which is very good), but are not very large. When you have a room with a door to an adjacent room you can hear every little noise from there-do avoid those rooms if you are a light sleeper.

The breakfast was ok but nothing special, the coffee was bad. We didn’t try the restaurant for dinner. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
There seem to be a lot of weddings in the hotel, there was one on both evenings when we stayed so we had some nice entertainment when we were at the good bar for a goodnight drink.

The hotel is located a bit out of the center, it’s a 15 min walk to Piccadilly Gardens. But shopping and dining can also be found nearby in the Spinningfields area. The MOSI, which is well worth a visit, is very close by.

The only really negative point was that my Marriott Gold status was not honoured (except for the internet access where the computer made the descision…), I had to pay for breakfast (no lounge), the newspaper (first time in my life with Marriott as far as I can remember) and of course got no room upgrade.

We got a cheap weekend rate so overall it was very good value for money.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with doors to adjacent rooms - noise.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 July 2011

As an American traveling to Europe for the first time, this business trip was combined into a pleasure trip as well and included an 8 day stay at this hotel. Spouses (husbands in this case) and conference presenters thoroughly enjoyed staying at this hotel. The hotel was very quick to address concerns. The hotel is located in a beautiful part of the city very close to everything! We walked everywhere, but when a bus was necessary, the bus stop is right at the hotel. The amenities were incredible and everything was very clean and quiet even though it is a very active hotel. The quaint cottage look and feel of the rooms was appropriate and as a traveler, very much appreciated. The cost was comparable to other hotels in the area but this hotel had a more inviting feel.

Room Tip: Perhaps call rather than book on line.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Just returned from a week's stay here whilst working in Mmanchester. It was my first stay here and I only wish that I had used it earlier. The decor is lovely, the staff cannot do enough for you and the food is delicious. Breakfasts were a pleasure - sitting overlooking the wildlife on the rive,r and sometimes even energetic rowers. The rooms vary but mine was at the front and although not as massive as at some hotels I've stayed at in this city, it was clean, welcoming and comfortable. The outside areas are great (when/if it's good weather) and although it's a popular venue for events, the noise is not aggravating, or at least it wasn't on the second floor.
I would heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I only stayed in this hotel because of a private training. The trainer selected this hotel's business center to teach me (only 6 m2 with 2 chairs!) It was a terrible day because of hotel's small lounge, business center, asking money for each coffe along the 9 hours training. The rooms was comfortable but very silent area and far away city center by walking. I was alone and first time for me in MAnchester and scared about coming back hotel after ciry center visit by wqalking. Close for not asking taxi but far with desolate streets for a dinner at restaurant. The breakfast lounge's windows are very close the river but it was not a good view for me with black and dirty river water while having breakfast!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 July 2011

we styaed june 10th-12th 2011 for a weekend. after spending a long time trying to find a nice place to stay i noticed the Weekend deal on marrioot's website (only place to see these rates I think), £250 for the weekend incluidng a meal one night and the buffet breakfast. to my surpirse the meal was lovely! great attempt at fine dining and couldnt fault it, apart from being too full to enjoy my pudding. After this being one of those hotels where you seem to get either "best" or "worst ever" I upgraded our room using my reward points to give us a better chance of success. I think this worked as that basically puts you on the top floor so less chance of noise I guess. Room was usual marriott and very comfy bed and bedding. I took earplugs after all the reviews about noise, but didnt need them. Staff very helpful. Buffet breakfast was lovely both mornings, not sure what people complain about! Perhaps it's down to luck and perhaps the number of staff on. no compliants here. Can recommend based on my upgraded room and also the all-in weekend rate beat or compared to most others cheaper hotels in Manchester for £250 all-in.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I regularly stay at Marriott Hotels, but report that this hotel was very disappointing!

My room had a dreadful smell, and therefore I had to open the windows all day to ensure the room was fresh for the evening.

In addition to the poor standard of room, the breakfast quality was poor.

Having stayed at lots of Marriott hotels I wrote to the Management , however, sadly there response to my feedback was unsympathetic.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Stayed here saturday 11 jun, we have booked in here before and so decided to do again.
I booked 3 rooms for myself and wife,mum and sister. The location is excellent, as my wife wanted to go and check where Take That were staying. They were across the road which was very handy. The service couldnt be faulted, breakfast was excellent value they had a deal on 15.00 for 2 full breakfasts.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends