“Great hotel, staff, location and character”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #24 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, staff, location and character”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Very simply, this is a fantastic hotel in all ways....location, rooms, cleanliness, value...
Top points are valet parking and the character of the hotel. My wife and I really enjoyed it and will most definitely be back. With a bit of special individual treatment it would get 5 out of 5, perhaps next time. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Preston, Lancashire, UK
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I`ve stayed at this hotel on numerous occassions, and this is why we returned. The staff are friendly,efficient and welcoming.When they say "if there is anything you require, just ask" they actually sound like they mean it. I`d read a few reports about the heating. Our room had an extra heater and the air con was on maximum ready for our arrival. The hotel has obviously listened. Minor problems with our stay; first, I should have asked for a canal view. None of the views are impressive, as the area is quite commercial, but we overlooked an old storage shed. Secondly, our room was in the "new" build and not the original refurbished area, and was the smallest room we have encountered, so this was a little disappointing. Some of the rooms are very spacious. Lastly, I didn`t check my final invoice properly, and was charged extra for two breakfast`s that should have been included in the room rate. I e-mailed my details the next day, and received an apology and a refund within hours. To end on a good note, the room service was very good and the food delicious, the quality and choice at the self serve breakfast was some of the best I`ve had the pleasure to face. When we stay in Manchester again, I am certain this will be the hotel of our choice.

Room Tip: If you ask for a room closer to the lifts, then you won`t end up in the "new" build, where...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Luxembourg
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Warm welcome and helpful staff. Valet parked the car behind the main building. Room was spacious, clean and warm. Breakfast was Ok. All in all the V&A was fine, a handy location and a safe bet. Only glitch was the last guest's hairy brush left on the dressing table, yuck.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
tyne and wear united kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2012

What a lovely looking place. Excellent conversion with many original features. I did stay there in a cold week but, whereas the public areas and corridors were warm, my room was perishing. The draught from the window area and the exposed brick walls was awful, the only good news was that I spotted a plug in radiator down the corridor and dragged it into my room. Conference facilities were very nice. Smashing breakfast. Evening food very pricey for what it was but the bar area was comfy and laid back. Parts were five star but the chilly room was definitely no star!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the outside walls... Probably warmer.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Stafford, Great Britain
Reviewed 6 February 2012

The converted warehouses that form the hotel have been extensively and expensively transformed into a building that offers modern comforts in a historic setting. My check in was swift, and my car valet parked; guests are not able to park their own cars, which may be a problem if many separate car journeys are made during a stay. For such guests, outside car parking for about 15 cars is available at the front of the hotel.

Rooms are spacious and well furnished; my only criticism would be the low level of lighting that was available. A small bedside table light on one side of the double bed was all that could be used to read in bed; this was disappointing.

Breakfast was the usual buffet, of a high standard. In the evening I had the Promotional menu, which consisted of 3 courses plus a glass of wine (or in my case a glass of orange juice) for £20; 2 courses cost £15. There were 3 choices per course.

The Victoria and Albert is a15 minute walk to the Arndale Centre, and faces the River Irwell.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Manchester
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Stayed here with my other half for a night to celebrate my birthday. The Room (a bit small compared with many others i have stayed at) was cosy and well furnished. The bathroom was bright and clean and we had a tv to watch. In room Tea/coffee facilities - we only got two coffee sachets each which I thought was a bit stingy. The Bed was incredibly comfy , However I did not get much sleep due to noise. We went out into manchester city centre then returned later stopping at the nice bar/lounge downstairs. Then went to bed quietly at about 1.30am then from about 3 am there was lots of banging and again at 5 til 6 it was not good. I assumed this was other guests returning and being noisy as every room door which closed or wardrobe closing could be heard, It Is not very soundproof.The Breakfast was nice and we got a good view of the river while we ate. However the coffee pot we got only had enough for one small cup each. On arrival at reception I was told that the room I had paid for did not include breakfast , then I showed my printed receipt and she checked again and said sorry my mistake it is on there. This also happened on checkout when the £ 50 incidentals they had took at check in was going to be refunded less the breakfast. I then had to point out once again that our Breakfast was included in the rate. I dont think marriott call any of their rooms standard our room was deluxe but i dont think it was particularly deluxe. All the staff who served us in the bar and at breakfast etc were pleasant. If they had a refurb to soundproof all the rooms then i would probably return as its not a bad hotel its just too noisy and for what i paid for the room It ruined the experience. I didnt really wanted to give it 3 stars but i thought 4 was too much and if there was a 3.5 option I would have chose this.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if there is one?
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bunny74
Bromley, Kent
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed for one night between Christmas and New Year using free reward points. Have stayed before and happy to see that the good standard continues. The hotel is converted from old warehouses and this gives it character.
Our room was large and overlooked the river. Staff are nice and the bar serves a particularly good and reasonably priced vodka martini.
Marriott beds have got to be the most comfortable of any of the chains. Looking forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is made up of two connected warehouses and the one furthest down the corridors from recept...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple