“Definitely would revisit”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #22 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 17 February 2013

Location was excellent for us (a meal in Spinningfields followed by Opera House ...both only 5 minutes walk away)

Breakfast was lovely, although we did remark that there was no black pudding! Plenty of fresh fruit and pastries etc.

Staff were so helpful - we arrived in a bit of a flap because we had 'called in' at the Trafford Centre en route! and were really pushed for time. We just had time to get changed, before meeting friends in a nearby restaurant. Unfortunately our room had developed a rather large leak and the carpet and bed were in fact sodden. The staff dealt with it brilliantly and sent us off on our evening saying they would sort everything out and to enjoy ourselves. When we returned several hours later, our bags etc had all been moved to a rather splendid suite! Not only that, but they knocked £35 off our original bill. Two very satisfied customers!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,879)

Reviewed 14 February 2013

Ohhh, any hotel that finds it necessary to put plastic under-sheets on the bed for whatever reason, in my view warrents a very low star rating. So no sleep for the first night until we just ripped it off. 15 quid for wi-fi and £17:50 for breakfast, ouch. It's not so much the small room with very low ceiling, but to cram it full with ghastly furniture left over from the 80's...- mind you, if you are over 5' 9" tall prepare to bend over in the shower. No no no,not worth the price,there are plenty more hotels in Manchester that offer far more and are better value.

Room Tip: Go to The Midland
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I booked an overnight stay at the Victoria and Albert Hotel due to it's proximity to the Opera House in Manchester. I've stayed in many hotels in Manchester and this is up there with the best - perhaps even THE best. The ease of getting there from Piccadilly was great - jump on the free bus, off at the Opera House and a short walk to the hotel. I was way too early to check in, so all I really needed to do was book the luggage in. However, the lady on reception was great. There were rooms available on the fourth floor (I'd requested a higher floor due to the possibility of street noise). I was with my daughter and we'd booked a king room, but she changed that to a twin executive room for us, and really couldn't have been more helpful. That was a good start.
The hotel reception are is really warm and inviting with exposed brick work and comfy settees and warm red and wood tones. I commented on how nice it was and the receptionist told me a little about the history, and that the rooms themselves continued the theme.
The room itself was lovely. My daughter and I were very impressed. It was clean and tidy, but it's the sense of welcome and warmth that make these rooms so nice.
Downstairs the bar area and restaurant area were also very nice, plenty of space and plenty of choice at breakfast.
If I had one criticism, it would only be the bed, although comfortable, I did roll to the middle so the mattress was well used, but other than that, I really enjoyed it (I still slept well!). I would certainly stay there again, and for longer as I didn't get enough time to have a really good look around!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Stayed here for two nights for a work conference - excellent staff, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, characterful rooms with low beams and exposed brickwork, great breakfast and dining room... the list of positives goes on. The rooms were really lovely and charming although the low ceilings made having a shower a slight challenge (and I'm only 5 ft 6)! Not perfect - the room was a bit draughty and noise insulation not good - could hear next door's TV and hairdryer; I sleep with ear plugs at night so can't comment on any noise at night - but all in all a lovely hotel which I'd heartily recommend.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2013

What a surprise ro find this little gem....previously we have stayed at Radisson in the city centre nd been very disappointed.... Not so here! Great staff, very attentive, rooms full of character a great place to stay x

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Stayed her with family for a weekend break. Numerous positives : Level of Customer service was second to none. Hotel is smaller than most giving a "family feel", Hotel has been symatheically renovated with exposed brickwork, timber ceilings & iron work exposed to offer a glimpse of the hotels previous life. Bar area is spacious with river views. Large good quality beds allow for a decent nights sleep. Hotel being approx 5 minutes walk to the shopping areas. All in all excellent.

Room Tip: 1) Ask for a room facing the river, you get a decent view & avoid any road noise. 2) Hotel is a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Stayed here again due to a work function end of November. We got a much better room than during our previous stay and I did manage to get to sleep this time in the really comfy bed. I was awakened very very early hours by the sound of traffic reversing outside and then other guests one by one waking and flushing lavatories, closing wardrobe doors and room doors which can be annoying.
On the whole the hotel areas ie the function rooms, bar and the breakfast area are welcoming and the whole hotel is decorated nicely, the only problem is the lack of soundproofing and for me a 4 star hotel should really have an onsite pool and leisure facilities. I know you can use the Bannatynes in Manchester but its not exactly next door.
Again i wish their was a 3.5 I could use as 3 seems a bit low but 4 seems too high.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple