Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #24 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed on November the 14th and upgraded to a suite. We loved it and found all the staff very polite and attentive. Breakfast was very good, lots of choice. We did have a slightly strange experience whilst waiting for the lift when we both witnessed an unusual figure in the corridor. My husband actually remarked ' look at the ghost'. Well it is an old building so who knows ! This would not put us off staying again but I would be interested to know if anybody else has witnessed anything.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed here on the 16th Nov 2013 with my wife for one night. Ideally situated for Singing in the Rain at the Opera House. On arrival we were offered an upgrade to a Superior room with breakfast, valet parking and Wifi. The room was large and clean. We decided to have a cup of tea only to find that there were only two tea bags and one biscuit. It was easier to share a tea bag and save one to share before breakfast the next morning than wait for more to be delivered. I had the one biscuit at the wife's insistence. The included Wifi was not free as I had assumed and was charged hourly, daily, or weekly. In this day and age I would have thought that providing a Wifi connection in a room would by now be a basic service and not a paid for extra. Free Wifi was available close to reception in a public area. The bathroom was clean and large but on use found that extractor fan did not work, filling the bathroom with steam and rendering the mirror useless. The surround to the tissue dispenser near to the hand basin was hanging off the wall. We decided to eat in the restaurant before going out. My wife ordered pork and I chose a steak. The pork was fine but the steak was cold. If we had had more time I would have sent it back. On complaining to the waiter the matter was resolved and I was not charged for that part of the meal. The bed was the most uncomfortable we have encountered in a long time. Whilst taking a stroll around the various Christmas markets on the Sunday morning we both suffered with back ache. The staff were pleasant and friendly at all times and the valet parking is a bonus. All in all a rather disappointing overnight stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Grimbarian,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay with us.
I am sorry to hear that overall your stay did not match your expectations. I am particularly surprised that you found the bed uncomfortable as this is normally an area in which we excel, I have checked the room that you occupied and can confirm that the bed and mattress and both in excellent condition, I can only preume that you found that the mattress topper made the bed too soft. My property manager has checked the bathroom extraction and it appears as though the unit had tripped out.
With regards to our provision of wifi, this is provided complimentary in all public areas and should have been included in your upgraded room package.
Do please contact me should you be looking to return to Manchester in the near future, so that we have the opportunity to demonstrate our true colours.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here on Friday 8th November which was my Birthday - The stay, unfortunately,did not go to plan but I commend the hotel on their customer service and the way in which they dealt with our issues. I spoke to the Efstathios Georgiadis the assistant Manager who was really sincere in his apology and my custom felt really valued as a result. He engaged in 2 way conversation, openly invited feedback and I felt reassured that he would work on my comments to improve service for guests. This guy was genuinely interested in what I had to say!
Despite the fact my birthday night didnt go to plan I will be returning to the hotel - it is a really nice hotel and most important to me is that they listen and work on feedback given in order to get things right.
I work in a customer driven industry and understand despite the best efforts that sometimes things can go wrong - It is how we are dealt with as guests that makes the difference. I could have been made to feel like a complaining guest, however due to the excellent handling of the situation by the Assitant Manager named above, I left the hotel in a positive frame of mind. knowing I will have no hesitation in booking again - I felt my feedback genuinely mattered.
This goes to show that quality people in a customer facing industry make ALL the difference - I cannot speak highly enough of him.
My 1 concern for the hotel is the charge for parking your car - If I could ask 1 thing it would be please look at this - I don't want this to put people off staying at your lovely hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Jane D,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay with us here at the Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, in the heart of Manchester.
Its lovely to hear that despite the fact that your stay did not go entirely to plan, that you were delighted by the level of understanding and consideration provided by my colleague Efstathios. I have passed on your thanks to him personally.
With regards to the provision of car parking, we do offer valet parking at £16 per night, which is less than that charged at our competitors within the city. There is also parking available in an adjacent public car park for £8 overnight, should you not wish to use the valet service.
Thank you again for your kind words and I hope we have the opportunity of inviting you back to our hotel in the near future.
Regards,

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had a good overnight stay here, very well conversion of an old mill building. Good sized rooms even with a rollout bed extra. Very good value for a Friday night with pizza and wine included and breakfast in the morning. Clean, friendly and wished we had time to stay longer.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne B
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear Anne B,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay with us at the Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel.
The hotel is a little unusual, in that it is not a soulless box like so many hotels now, it has been converted from the Warehouses 'Victoria & Albert' which originate from 1844.
I am delighted to hear that you had a lovely stay and we very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Having stayed here twice before I had no hesitation in booking again for my husbands birthday. Unfortunately we either got them on a bad day, had a room attendant who doesn't take pride in her job or overall standards are just not considered priority anymore. The room was poorly maintained - smell in the bathroom, no biscuits alongside the tea & coffee and no corkscrew for the bottle of wine we ordered in the room. When delivered to the room along with our food order we were not asked if we wanted the bottle opening and it was only midway through the food we realised after hunting everywhere that a corkscrew was not in the room either, basically we couldn't have a drink! To make matters worse on our return from the theatre we discovered that the room attendant had been in and taken the empty food plates & the bottle away even though the bottle was sitting in the ice bucket with wine remaining! The furniture in the room was shabby, verging on dirty as far as the settee & curtains were concerned. Such a shame as I used to adore staying at this hotel but sadly may look elsewhere in future.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank 774JanT

Dear 774JanT,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay at our hotel.
I am sorry to hear that you felt the standards we set ourselves were not maintained on this your most recent stay. I have discussed these comments with the teams responsible for these areas and can assure you, that our standards remain a critical part of what we do here at the hotel.
I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future, so that you can experience our normally very high standards.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed one night here on business- a little more up market than I am generally used to. The exterior appearance sets the tone for this hotel and the reception area is clean, airy and well appointed. The room I had was quite large although the ceiling was quite low due to the beams and this was particularly noticeable when standing in the shower as my head touched the ceiling. Had I been been over 5' 10'' then having a shower would have been uncomfortable.Hotel was conveniently located for the city centre.
The breakfast was very good although opted to eat out in the evening given the proxomity to city centre restaurants.
Would definately stay again

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear TrevorM,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent stay at the Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel here in the heart of Manchester.
We are delighted to hear that you felt the sense of presence and external appearance sets the tone for the hotel and that you found it to be full of character.
We are very fortunate to have such a perfect setting on the banks of the river yet right in the middle of Manchester.
I very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

After a bit of condusion on whether the hotel would take bookings for 3 in a room ( they wouldn't although the room did have 2 double beds & could easily accommodate 3), our stay at the Marriott was very enjoyable. The rooms were clean, comfortable & well equipped. Breakfast was very good & reception were attentive to our needs. Even better the hotel were running a facebook offer; the first 100 people to say a phrase at the bar were awarded a free glass of bubbly. Our group took full advantage of this several times! Its a 10 minute wak from the city centre shops & trams & a 20 minute walk from the station. Would return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear SueAppleyard,
Its great to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us here at the Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel in the heart of Manchester.
I am delighted to hear also that you found our location perfect and loved the facebook promotion that we were running. We frequently run promotional activities for our residents in house, to ensure they get the best offers.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete the online review, we very much appreciate your feedback and look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.