“Not Welcome”

Ranked #26 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not Welcome”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I took my wife for a spot of lunch because the hotel has a beautiful canal side conservatory.
Having entered the hotel ,I asked a member of staff what was the procedure for lunch.
Find yourself a seat and someone will attend to your order.
We found our seat but were told we couldn't sit there only there was a conference on.
Ok so we moved .
Ordered drinks(oops,sorry wrong drinks were brought)
No sugar and I'm afraid we've no teaspoons left !
Ordered food,(30 minutes pass, finished drinks, No food)
Enquired after food,Oops sorry and 15 minutes later food arrived.
Not the food we ordered and they looked like they'd been thrown together by a 6 year old.
The Roast Chicken and stuffing on brown bread,Was in fact Roast chicken but on white Oh and No stuffing and the salad was a single lettuce leaf between my 2 slices of dry white bread.
It would appear that if you want to be looked after you can only be part of a group ie "conference".So don't dare to wander in willy nilly of the street.
I won't be calling in again .
There are plenty of lunch time locations in and around Manchester who would cherish our company.

Not Happy

Martin

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bethk01, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Martin,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring to our attention the problems you encountered during your recent visit to our hotel.

I am sorry that you felt that the conference group took priority over your needs, I assure you this would never be our intention. You should have indeed been seated in an area that was not reserved for other guests and not left to find your own table.

I have spoken to our Executive Chef regarding the sandwich that you received and he has addressed this with the team that was on that day. We pride ourselves on our menu offering and food quality and in this instance have let you, and ourselves down.

However, I would like to thank you again for your comments, all feedback whether positive or negative enables us to reflect on what we do and train our staff accordingly. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel and that we can show you how we normally operate.

Richard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
heysham
Reviewed 25 February 2014

As a Rewards customer and Travel Advisor I booked this hotel as a special Birthday treat along side a theatre break for my partner. I have stayed at many Marriotts before and always loved this chain. On arrival we checked in and decided to start off my partners birthday celebrations with a few drinks in the bar. As we entered we were told we could only sit in a small corner as the whole of the bar and restaurant was being used for filming Coronation st. we were unable to go to the bar but staff would bring them to us . while we were having our drinks on a number of occasions a loud voice was raised and everyone was told to be silent.....whilst filming! I honestly never expected to spend my afternoon whispering to my partner and being told to be quiet...a number of other guests were very annoyed and complained a number of times also as myself. In the end we went and sat in reception finishing off our drinks. I never paid to stay at the Marriott to have most of the hotel out of bounds...I was totally disgusted at this. If we were told in advance I would have changed hotels and had a much better time. I did voice my concerns and had my room refunded to me at check out....This to me was the least they could have done...but our special birthday getaway was totally spoilt!! The only good thing I can say is the Hotel staff were very nice and felt very sorry for them as the amount of complaints they were receiving was shocking.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Helenb89,
Whilst we were aware that Coronation Street were filming for a upcoming storyline, we did not anticipate that this would encroach on those whom were using our facilities during that time. The filming was taking place during the day and was moving round from area to area, so we should have ensured that any impact on those in residence was minimal.
I am delighted that my colleague however acted appropriately and removed the charges for your accommodation for the inconvenience on what was a special occasiona and its pleasing to hear that you felt the team were very nice and handled the situation professionally.
Thank you again for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
manchester
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

we were here for a family wedding. the hotel took care of our. needs. and catered the wedding. well. , on leaving next day noticed we we had left a white dress shirt with cuff Link in room , on contacting housekeeping. who were helpful. they have not turned up. apparently if they've been swept up in the laundry it is unlikely to come back. I find this. frustrating. how can they disappear. !!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Dunagothere,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us following your recent stay at our hotel. I have discussed this comment with my Head Housekeeper and she has advised that she recalls having the conversation with you on the morning of the 17th February and advised that unfortunately the item had not been found on the Saturday after departure. She also recalls the conversation on the 19th February, where she highlighted that she had followed this up with the linen company and despite extensive searches at their depot they have advised that the shirt was not found in the laundry.
I am sorry that this experience has tainted your view somewhat on what I understand was a fabulous day for the happy couple.
If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
lancashire,uk
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband on Saturday night. Have stayed in several other Manchester hotels but this is our favourite. It's located in a quiet area yet it's only a 5 minute walk into the city. The rooms are well appointed and the breakfasts are wonderful.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a local deal Sunday night which included valet parking afternoon tea and breakfast. Whilst this represented a good deal we weren't over enamoured with the afternoon tea. When I've had afternoon tea before the tea is usually in an individual pot and the sandwiches cakes etc presented on plates. Whilst I appreciate it's personal choice I prefer traditional sandwiches and to be waited on rather than the 'do it yourself' experience ... I found the boxes the food came in a little shabby around the edges ! ... My husband had the gentleman's afternoon tea which I have to say looked far superior than mine ... The nicest part of it was the scone it was devine. Our room was adequate parts of it felt a little worn ie the bathroom felt like it needed an up grade, as did the cupboards and doors which didn't close properly ! Surprised to see there was no water supplied we bought some from the local Sainsbury's. Also found the window slightly oppressive due to its size. Breakfast was good although crispy bacon would be welcome. Over all we would stay again but make sure we choose a different room. Also staff very welcoming .

Warwickshire
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Just returned from a wonderful night at the Victoria & Albert; it was our 1st wedding anniversary and the hotel made it extra special, upgrading our room & sending up a cake were lovely touches along with a card from the Duty Manager.

As it was Valentines weekend the hotel was very busy but check-in was quick and efficent. We had afternoon tea included in our stay and it was ok, not the best but everything else far outweighed any issues we had.

Breakfast was also very good - thank you!

Leeds
Reviewed 16 February 2014

First time visitor. Interesting rooms and building it being some sort of warehouse years ago. Comfy beds, which is a must. Powerful shower. Bathrooms a tad rough around the edges but not too bad. TV problem but quickly fixed. That said I never expect a hotel to have less channels than I have at home, everyone has Freeview at least surely these days, well except this hotel! A minor quibble really. Communal areas welcoming and clean. Breakfast was standard fayre but nice all the same and a pleasant dining area. Staff were good and friendly. Reasonable location near Spinningfields, not altogether a very central location but not a problem and a very good location for the Opera House. Not fitness facilities but complementary use of one down the road about a 5 minute walk away.