“Lovely stay”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #23 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Stayed here for one night in a deluxe room and loved it. The room was beautiful and everything was clean. The bed was comfortable and just what I expected. The breakfast buffet was delicious too! Friendly staff too. Overall, would stay again.

There are newer reviews for Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed over last night following a visit to see Evita at the Palace.
We were met on arrival by the concierge who sorted out the car parking for us and the reception staff were very friendly and professional.
As we'd booked a rewards package only we were then asked if we wanted breakfast and took an upgrade to a junior suite with breakfast included.
The bed was huge and comfortable and the room was very spacious but in a junior suite I'd really expect one of the spaces reserved for a fridge to actually include one and ideally for that to be a mini bar.
We used room service and the food was good with service complete in a reasonable timeframe.
The bathroom was a little disappointing, I'm not particularly tall but when stood in the shower my head was almost scraping the roof....I get that this is an old building (and it is lovely) but other areas of the room are slightly higher so this problem could be avoided with planning. The bottom of the bath was also showing signs of wear and the sink taps were quite chipped.
These are fairly minor points but ones I feel need to be addressed (I guess the ceiling issue is what it is) in an establishment of this standing.
Final point...when we went down for breakfast I had to wIt for Eggs, by the time they arrived the Bacon had gone....I asked the Chef who said it was on the grill and asked where I was sat as he would bring it over to me....a nice touch....but after several minutes of wait I went back to the buffet and it had been trooped up but no sign if the table delivery I'd been offered.

I do like Marriotts though and will almost certainly return again as I have done previously.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

My husband and I attended a fantastic Bollywood evening at the V&A last Friday night, it was a charity event to raise funds for 'Kidneys for Life'. It was one of the nicest evenings I've had in a long time. Food, Wine, Bollywood dancers and lots of fund raising - a great evening that couldn't have gone any better thanks largely due to a very well trained and highly professional staff.

As soon as we entered the hotel lobby, we were greeted by one of the hotel staff and made to feel very special and extremely welcome before being directed into the hotel's cocktail lounge.

The standard of the décor and furnishings at this hotel is very high, with a lot of attention to detail.

I have to say that the food served at the event wasn't as good as we had anticipated, (Indian dishes as to be expected, given the theme of the evening) I wouldn't want to imply here that the food in general is not of the highest standard at the V&A. I would need to dine at the hotel again on a couple of occasions in order to provide a truly informed opinion of the culinary standards. There was nothing wrong with the food per se, we just felt that it was of quite a mediocre standard.

We ended the evening in the beautiful cocktail bar where the atmosphere is absolutely fantastic. Calm, classy, sophisticated, incredibly comfortable and even intimate. The staff too are very friendly and highly efficient. I would quite happily visit the V&A more often for drinks with friends at this lovely bar.

Our overall experience of the V&A - even though our visit didn't extend to sampling the accommodation - was FIVE STAR!

I rate this hotel and its staff - FIVE STAR!

Room Tip: Not applicable as we were only attending for an evening event in aid of Kidney for Life.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed here for our annual Christmas shopping trip to the Trafford Centre as our usual Marriott was full. The location is nice next to the canal and the rooms are the standard Marriott standard but the service was terrible. We got there about 5.30/6pm to be told our rooms were not ready. When asked how long they would be they said about 30mins and they would come a tell us when they were ready. An hour later we had to approach reception for an update. After several minutes we were told our rooms were ready (nearly 7pm!). We were given one upgrade as a good will even though we had two rooms. The time left us rushing to get ready for our night out which left us all on a bit of a downer. Not Good. Come the morning we went down for breakfast to be seated at a dirty table with no cutlery and having to ask twice for tea/coffee, again not good. Due to the service we received I wouldn't stay at this Marriott again. I will ensure that we book extra early at our usual Marriott, Worsley Park which can't be faulted.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Dear Gemma H,
Thank you for taking the time to complete an online review following your stay with us last year.
I am sorry that on the day in question in the run up to Christmas that there was a delay in getting your room ready, to enable you to get ready for your evening out.
I have passed on your comments and have added notes to your profile for any future stays.
Kind regards,
Richard

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed for one night only as we were going to a show at the Manchester arena and it was excellent the room was lovely and it was very clean the towels etc in the bathroom were superb. The staff could not have been more helpful and we ate there before we went to the concert and it was delicious the view over the canal was great. We did not have breakfast there as it was a further £16.95 each and as I do not eat a cooked breakfast it would have been a waste of money. We would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again if we visit Manchester again.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor in a deluxe room and it was excellent
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We spent one night here for a short weekend visit to Manchester and were quite pleased with the hotel's location, decor, bed-comfort and the great service we got from the staff. It wasn't exactly the best value for money given that you have to pay for internet access (I thought free wifi was standard across most hotels in the Mariott family, at least all the ones we've stayed at over the years) so that was a little off-putting but not enough to make us not enjoy our trip. The hotel is located about 15 minutes walk to the Deansgate/Quay Street intersection from which you can go in any direction and enjoy the sights and sounds of Manchester, which is truly a wonderful city. The bed was very comfortable and although we didn't dine at the in-house restaurant, instead opting to explore what Manchester had to offer, we'd heard that the restaurant was pretty good, so maybe we'll check it out on our next visit. Overall, it was a really good experience and we'll definitely be staying there at our next visit to Manchester.

Room Tip: The hotel is slightly outside the city centre on one of the canals, so not a whole lot of views to c...
Reviewed 9 March 2014

On arrival to the hotel you instantly feel like its a 5 star service, the hotel decor is beautiful and the staff on reception were very helpful, very professional and really friendly. The room was beautiful with wooden beams and stone walls overlooking the river. We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely stay here again! Unfortunately the couple in the room next door decided to have a drunken argument at 3am however I was very ill so I was awake anyway.

We never had any of the food however the people we were staying with did have food and said that it's worth the money and they really enjoyed their breakfast.

The only bad point that I have to make is regarding car parking which was very confusing, the hotel information says a car park on site however this is really confusing and when I arrived I went into the short stay car park next to the hotel before realising so I then pulled into the hotel road however there was no sign of car parking and no one to help. I called the hotel and I reached the switch board who told me concierge would come out and I could go in a pay for parking inside, no one came. I went onto Spinningfields car park which is close by and £18 overnight. The car parking instructions need to be more clear on this.

Room Tip: Ask for a king side bed rather than 2 doubles - you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business