Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #25 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“good”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

staff on reception were efficient without being friendly. our room was lovely - lots of rustic brick and wood - sympathetically converted.breakfast was just ok.

hotel very close to spinnigfields - great place to eat and drink.

be aware of booking this hotel if Manchester united are playing at home - as hotel was full of quite noisy fans!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CatherineF2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Northwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to book a night here as we were going out in Manchester for dinner and drinks and found a good deal on lastminute.com. For the price we got an excellent value deal - the hotel and room felt very luxurious and it was very conveniently located near to Spinningfields and Deansgate (although maybe not so convenient for the following day's shopping trip into the city centre, but not impossible if you don't mind a bit of a walk). The staff member who checked us in was professional and polite and our first impressions were great. The room was recently refurbished and was lovely to be in - everything worked well, the shower was nice, and the bed was large and comfortable. The only complaint we really had was that the pillows were not that good, although we didn't bother asking for others and I'm sure they would have been replaced had we asked. Breakfast seemed pretty extortionate so we just headed into town in the morning instead. Overall we enjoyed our short stay, just wish it was for longer!

2 Thank poppy_g_15
Marbella, Spain
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed here for two nights this past weekend. Our room was 102. The staff were very nice at reception on arrival. We went for a walk after settling in. When we came back, I had a shower to discover that there was no hairdryer in our room. I phoned reception to have this foreign guy who wasn't at all nice tell me there was for definite a hairdryer in my room. He told me where to look. It wasn't there. I then phoned a second time to say there was not one. The lady who answered me came up to check. She then sent up a man to check again. I felt I was under suspicion of unwiring it from the wall. I also thought, when they see me going out, they will probably go up and check my bags. Unbelievable but true. That's how I felt. However to be fair they did go out a buy a hairdryer so in that respect they did do their best. I didn't expect them to do this. The first night I had a very disturbed sleep. The walls are not sound proof. I could hear the couple next door. At first I thought they were outside my window but they were next door. Could hear their conversation very early in the morning.

The bar is nice though and comfortable. Location is very convenient to central Manchester. The hotel has a real old world feel and I liked the book shelf bannister effect on the first floor. But if I am honest, I wouldn't stay here again. I will be looking for a place offering better quality of sleep in the future.

Room Tip: Check to see there is a hairdryer in your room before you have a shower
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Bridmoni,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write an online review following your recent stay with us.

I'm sorry to hear that you had some trouble with noisy guests in the room next door, I am pleased to hear that you appreciated our attempt to recover the unfortunately missing hair dryer in your guest room.

Thank you for also commenting on the positive ambience in both our lounge bar and the hotel in general and I am pleased that you agree that our location is excellent within the city.

If you are to stay with us again please contact the hotel directly so that I can ensure we are able to restore your faith in our product and service, something we pride ourselves on.

Kind Regards,

Richard
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel this weekend in room 125 which is a standard double. As I have a disability I had requested a room close to the lift, but they ignored this request and put us at the end of the he corridor.

The room itself was lovely with natural decor - brick wall and wooden beamed ceiling. However, there was no hairdryer and it was extremely small. I did see a room opposite (126) and it appeared to be larger.

The hotel lobby is lovely. The bar area is lovely and relaxing and offered great service.

We ate at the hotel for breakfast which was a bit if an issue as it was busy. The manageress was offering people to sit in the bar of they didn't want to wait for a table. We had to ask the times for tea and even then they brought us coffee. The food was ok but the juice selection was poor as they kept running out of stock.

Overall, an OK hotel in a great location. Shame about the small rooms and poor breakfast experience

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Barrow in furness
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I think you will all agree that 1st impressions really do matter. So after arriving at the hotel for the girl on reception to tell us " room only " when she clearly did not know and had not checked, was totally unprofessional and uncalled for. We booked the room including breakfast through Booking.com and had the invoice with us to produce on arrival but were not given the chance as she preferred to eventually check herself. Already my wife and I had a bitter taste in our mouths but there was still more to come. On arriving at our room we noticed trays of room service scattered outside one room, and on our 2 day stay remained there untouched.
I don't really need to go into the missing hair dryer in the room that apparently could not be replaced, so my wife left with wet hair, however I will say I could have saved myself a fair bit of money and got more professional service at the Travel Lodge down the road.
If my Managers let their staff speak to my customers in this way then they would not be Managers for long, as the front of house staff are clearly lacking some serious training in customer service. (No Managers response required thank you.)

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel as booking with an Agent is obviously frowned upon at this hotel.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Stayed for 3 nights over Easter weekend. Staff weren't particularly friendly at the reception but dining room staff were helpful. The king size room was great comfortable large bed crisp linen refurbished with colourful soft furnishings. Bathroom was also spacious, good lighting. Toiletries were not replenished every morning as I would have expected. Plenty of power points in the room for gadget use. Not aware of other patrons making any noise. On the Sunday morning at breakfast there was a shortage of cooked breakfast at the self service buffet, had to wait for some time for several items.Also would have to pay extra for porridge I thought this was rather disappointing. Had to pay £16 per night for parking - What a rip off. It's close to centre of town, coronation street tour , and opera house theatre is just round the corner.

Room Tip: Top floor room 416 is great close to lift very quiet
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed overnight and chose this location as closest to Coronation Street which was the last event on our weekend. Arrived early but our suite was ready. Reception staff were delightful. In fact all the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful. We had booked and paid for accommodation with breakfast but this wasn't showing up on their system. However this was amended immediately.

We were directed to the lifts which unfortunately were out of order so a bit of a hike to the 4th floor but we only had a small overnight bag. I am sure this would have been taken up for us had we returned to reception. The lifts were working again when we came back down.

Our suite was over 2 floors with a bathroom and lounge downstairs and a shower room adjoining the bedroom upstairs. 6' bed with which was extremely comfortable. Both bathrooms equipped with all the usual toiletries and plenty of good size towels. Both rooms had adjustable heating/ air conditioning. The furniture was looking a bit tired and the shower room had gold brassware which was probably ready for updating. The bathroom had modern chrome fittings. Water was hot and with good pressure.

One thing missing was a fridge/ mini bar. There obviously was one at one time as there was space where one had been fitted. 2 flat screen televisions. Usual supplies of coffee, tea etc.

Breakfast was buffet style and hot and plentiful. I requested vegetarian sausages which were cooked to order. There were also other options on request at no extra charge. We were given a table by the river.

The hotel is not in the centre of town and a much quieter location for it. However if you do not have a car be prepared for quite a lot of walking . The nearest metro tram stop is 10-15 minutes away. The free metro shuttle bus stops are nearer but the nearest one, number 3, does not run on Sundays. And they all finish early evening.

The hotel is in a converted warehouse and has retained many of the original features which makes for a very interesting building. Lots of old beams and riveted steel. Our bedroom was built into the eaves with a high vaulted ceiling. The lounge had a tiny balcony but the door was locked. The bedroom had a larger accessible balcony but with a very high wall so no view. And a previous occupant had left an empty champagne bottle and a sock out there which obviously had been missed by housekeeping.

Public areas were very attractive and everywhere was spotlessly clean. There are pleasant areas to sit at the front of the hotel if the weather is good. There is free wifi in the public areas but not in the rooms and this would be my only complaint. I think 4* at these sort of prices should have free wifi throughout.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay.